BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default They don't know they're born, tcoch!

Yep. Time for a silly thread.

For the benefit of the younger crowd, tell us of the dark days of GW, when nothing was as simple as it seemed.

Here's one to kick you off.

Kids today. They don't know they're born. Gaw, when I was knee high to a Gobbo, painting guides were uphill struggles through four mile of snow, and uphill both ways. You and your fancy YouTube videos with clear and precise demonstrations. All I got was close to what follows.

Step 1. Undercoat white!
    Step 2. Basecoat with Terracota
    Step 3. Now your model is a nicely shaded and highlighted blue.
    Step 4. Collect your Golden Demon.

Don't. Know. They're. Born.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

You've been drinking, haven't you?
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I mean, bloody 'eck, I've been drinking a wee bit myself, and I'm about as old of a fart as he is, but I still don't quite get what he's getting at here? I think I was following right up to the steps part. And the whole "don't know they're born" bit?

But hey, on the subject of painting guides, it's amazing to look back at my old How to Paint Citadel Miniatures and see all kinds of various painting techniques shown off and ideas for converting models and all, and now it seems like all of the painting articles are exact instructions on how to paint models, with specific colors and even the brushes. I guess that's nice if you want to paint exact copies of the army of the month, but it's a bit stifling for creativity, eh?

Similarly, I remember so many guides on how to make homemade terrain. Terragenesis was an awesome website for that, but even GW would give you hints on how to scratch-build stuff. From Pringles (or any other crisps that come in such) cans towers to using the old foam trays models came in as the basis for ruined buildings, there was so much you could do. Chop up a cereal box and make huts with thatched roofs! And on and on. Now it's just "buy this premade terrain, paint it, and only use the officially labeled stuff we sell."

Oi, now I'm feeling way too old. Think I'll have a few more nips of the good stuff. (Or as good as I could afford. Bloody bills.)
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Not last night, no
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Good one on the painting guides they did used to make me chuckle how they'd have a mysterious "fine highlights and details stage" where a model would suddenly transform from being shaded and dry brushed to bring an eavy Metal paint display piece with no explanation.

I'd also add vehicles there was a period if it wasn't based on a Rhino chassis you were Scratch building it (unless you'd bought a shed load of the mysteriously limited Land Raide or Battlewagon runs)

And we had to make our own shades and only layer paints and it was often the case you'd buy two of the same paint and they'd be different colours.

And last but not least they actually release all the miniatures for the armies
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Banned

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark_Eldar_Reaver_Jetbike.gif 
Views:	112 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	18682

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    But hey, on the subject of painting guides, it's amazing to look back at my old How to Paint Citadel Miniatures and see all kinds of various painting techniques shown off and ideas for converting models and all, and now it seems like all of the painting articles are exact instructions on how to paint models, with specific colors and even the brushes. I guess that's nice if you want to paint exact copies of the army of the month, but it's a bit stifling for creativity, eh?
    Kind of - but then the modern painting guides excel at showing the technique in a way the old ones never did.

For example, blending.

For years, I thought it involved actually blending the paint on the models as you transitioned between shades and colours. I think you can all guess just how well that worked out for me.

Now of course? Start with your base colour. Mix in a bit of the next one, apply a thin coat. Rinse and repeat two or three times, adding more of the 'final' shade, and painting slightly less of the area already covered. And allow to dry between coats.

Oh gods I just had a totally unheralded flashback to trying to build the metal Hive Tyrant that later came out as the current plastic kit.

It was bad enough my own one near reduced me to tears. But working for GW at the time? Dozens of them. DOZENS.

Cool

The Hive Tyrants were bad enough but the Carnifexes........................(shudders).

JvK

Brother-Captain

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	210 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	18683

These fu*kers.

And these

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	196 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	18684

And metal models with plastic arms, never mind *****ing about the psychic phase how about the sticking the arms back on your army phase.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

How about plastic models with metal arms, weapons, backpacks and ammo feeds.

Yes Space Marine Devastators. I do mean you. You and your overbalancing, falling over, smashy smashy ruiny paintjob antics.

Just plastic/metal kits. So glad to see the back of those!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast