BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default X-Wing Newbie - Imperial Question

Hey gang, I'm just getting into X-Wing Minis, and I've purchased the Force Awakens starter because I really like those First Order TIE Fighters. Pretty generic question here: If I want to build up some cool Imperial fleet options, what are my best options? Better yet, what models (if any) are a waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by CryptCat View Post
    If I want to build up some cool Imperial fleet options, what are my best options?
    Depends on your definition of cool... But if you are starting out I would set you up with two basic Imperial tactics:

I would recommend the TIE/fo Single (gives you three more unique pilots for the TIE/fo) and the TIE Interceptor Single (which gives you one of the most fragile Imp ships but also some of their best pilots). Those two should set you on your way with the basic Imperial tactic of Arc Dodging, which is to avoid being shot at by staying out of range or arc of an enemy ship (PSA: can be countered easily by ships that non-standard firing arcs like the YT-1300/Millenium Falcon or the Y-Wing).
    (Note: It is highly recommended to get an Expansion which has the "Autothrusters"-card if you are entering a highly competetive envoirment; no Imperial expansion has had that card in it yet, so you may have to cross-buy)

The other Imperial "staple" is the Swarm, which is 6+ cheap ships with a force multiplier, putting an emphasis on redudance and area control or focus firing a single target. To start that I would recommend the TIE Fighter Single (gives you the unique pilot Howlrunner which is a good force multiplier). You can also mix the normal T/Fs with the T/fo if you rather spend not too much.
    (Note: to get the full options for swarm building you might also need one of the "old" starter with two normal T/Fs and the Assault Carrier Epic Ship)

There are of course a lot of playstyles in between but these two are good basic concepts to start from.

Quote Originally Posted by CryptCat View Post
    Better yet, what models (if any) are a waste of money?
    There are few ships that are useless, however some have taxes attached if you want to bring them to the competetive scene:
    - The TIE Advanced (the OT one) is only really worth it if you plan on getting the Imperial Raider Epic Ship as well. The Raider comes with cards that give the all-non Darth Vader T/Adv a huge boost (Vader too but Vader is a capable pilot on his own).
    - The TIE Defender "requires" the Twin Ion Engine Mk II-upgrade for the TIE Punisher. Also keep an eye on the Imperial Veterans Box which is coming out soon(tm).
    - The TIE Punisher and the TIE Bomber "need" upgrades from other ships (like Guidance Chips) to be high level competetive (and they might not be that even then). (EDIT: for completeness sake: The TIE Punisher comes with two copies of the Twin Ion Engine Mk II-upgrade which is a neat boost for the T/fo.)
    Last edited by 0rph3u5; 04-20-2016 at 05:05 AM.