BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

I don't think it'd work with their new sprue designs, really. I mean, you typically get the bits scattered all over the sprue wherever they fit these days. The Tempestus and Pathfinder sprues spring to mind. It's not like you get, say, just the bodies and legs on one, and heads/weapons on another.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

True.

Plus, would it ever be cost effective? It appears the entire kit starts off as a single sprue, and is then split for packaging.

If you have the desired part entirely on one sprue, you're left with two 'orphaned' sprues that haven't sold. Same if it's spread over two of them. If a given part is especially popular (for arguments sake with no claim to veracity, a Leman Russ turret) then you'll be left over with sprues that just don't sell.

Split the desired part across all three, and there's no point buying or selling them separately anyway.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

That's very true. Even so it would provide a bit more flexibility. The Tempestus sprues do have a spectacular ammount of bit on them I bought 2 and had enough arms and heads combine with Cadian bodies and legs for another squad of 10 and there's still more bits (not really relevant but I like it &#128522
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Thinking about it.....I worked Salute 2003 with my then manager, and I recall we discussed it in the Van on the way back?
    Yup, think it was May of 2003. I remember very clearly, as I saw the first pre-orders for WM going up while looking for news about GW's sudden ban on online sales.

Maybe think a bit before getting all "smug" yerselves, fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    Maybe think a bit before getting all "smug" yerselves, fanboys.
    Hard to think when I wasn't around then, and no-one keeps records in this community. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brother-Captain

Also hasn't stopped them going on about it since then either. 😉
    Last edited by grimmas; 04-01-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Given that said bans now apparently matter for nothing, why are people still angry about it? I mean, there's tonnes of online suppliers out there.

First-Captain

They never fully banned online sales is why. Only in NA and Canada.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 04-01-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    How would you react if GW attempted to control the price an independent stockist sold there products at after they'd bought them because that's what PP are doing on top of the restrictions already in place that the Lobster-Overlord has already told us. Be honest I don't think you'd be happy.
    That's effectively why they were doing it. It wasn't just the whole "leech" thing, it was because online stockists directly compete with GW's web store, and holding stuff back as exclusives isn't as effective as trying to remove all competition.

I've also heard (unless they've removed this) that GW has a cap on the discount you can offer on their products, even if you're brick-and-mortar. So they ARE trying to do that. Whereas PP's only targeting online stores without a brick-and-mortar (though there's been some claim they've hit a store with a brick-and-mortar storefront, and if that's true, that's a huge black mark against PP).

So yeah, GW does attempt to control prices. And more.

[url]http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/04/the-iron-fist-how-games-workshop-intends-to-monopolise-the-online-sale-of-products/[/url]

“North American Retailers are not permitted to sell GAMES WORKSHOP products on any website, webportal, third-party web-portal or other Internet-based platform of any kind.”

'Cause, y'know, blacklisting some retailers is totally comparable to not allowing people to sell products at all on a website. But hey, at least they're not controlling the price, just telling you that you can't sell online.

Wait, here's GW in their own words:

[url]http://trade.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Games-Workshop-2013-RETAILER-POLICY.pdf[/url]

Again, it's totally worse to just blacklist some than to completely shut off all of them, right?

- - - Updated - - -

As to how some PP players are taking the news, the local WM/H Facebook group has people commenting rather upset, saying they're not happy with the standard prices, and looking at getting into other games instead. Literally every comment on the topic is negative toward PP.

So yeah, some PP gamers weren't too happy with it.

See, not every company has a cultlike following who will excuse whatever they do (i.e. the aforementioned cutting off of all online sales somehow being inoffensive while complaining about a different company blacklisting a few stores). There's just as many "pro-GW" trolls as "anti-GW" trolls, if not more. (I consider the "trolls" to be the extremes. There's a lot of people who genuinely like GW stuff, they're definitely not trolls, but they also won't tell you that a turd is a work of art if it's got the GW label and claim anyone who disagrees is a "hater" or "troll." On the opposite spectrum, I'd consider it trolling if you jump on the GA Order book and claim it's "overpriced" when it's a perfect price and, judging by the other GA books to date, will be solid quality materials that will last.)

Brother-Captain

"I've heard" doesn't really count Erik. Of course there is a practical cap as I doubt stockists will function at a loss.

The first link is just an opinion piece on the boring Aus pricing thing. Basically In Aus pretty much everything is more expensive so stores need to charge higher. Retailers elsewhere will always be able to undercut them so Aus stores won't be able to compete. But hey lets just let them go out of business that'll be good.

Not disputing GWs policy although it is different in the EU.

So once more with feeling they're BOTH doing it. My issue with it is when GW do it, it's greed and evil, but when PP do it (and FFG) it's a lauded move to protect the vital Bricks and Mortar stores. The seventh level of hell is reserved for hypocrites. I like all the policies in question I think they are sensible moves

Cult like following?!? Oh please stop being so silly.

Glad to hear they're showing some consistency though good on them.
    Last edited by grimmas; 04-01-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast