BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default PP doing a GW for OLR?

Sorry, can't resist a good acronym!

Just saw an article on Facebook which claims much as GW once did (possibly still do?), Privateer Press will be restricting their trade with online only retailers, as the bricks and mortar stores any wargames hobby depends on (because that's how you recruit) can't compete due to a big difference in overheads.

Anyone got corroboration on this?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Haha delicious. I can't wait wait for the back-pedalling from the self righteous PP trolls. Just like the usual suspects did when FFG did it (but still let Amazon sell on line, naughty).

It would be a good thing if they did game stores are a vital part of the industry and need some help. It was good when GW did it, it was good (if half hearted) when FFG did it, it'll be a good thing if PP get on board.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

It seems legit in the article, as it claims to be quoting a letter from PP themselves - but without at least a second source, I remain dubious.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

ICWOTUDIDTHAR.

Though I fully endorse this approach from PP.

Online only retailers are freeloading off the efforts of Bricks and Mortar stores. When I was a shop spod for GW, it honked me off no end when the local oik would come in and start encouraging everyone to shop online.

If you wanna do that, then cool. Freemarket etc. Just....don't do it at someone else's place of work where they have targets that need to be met, lest job losses ensue.

Yup I don't have a problem with it either really, just ironinc because all the PP fanboys got so smug when GW did it.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

And for the same reasons....wonder how many will be frantically back pedalling now, or outright denying that GW did the same thing for the same reasons which they decried as entirely bogus?

It's business sense. Both hands give you the same money. Except only the left hand is out working to increase the pot, and the right hand is just taking out of the pot.

I mean, I do love pointing out that all GW's evils seem to just be the natural progression of things, given that everyone else is steadily getting around to doing what they're doing. I haven't trolled PP fanboys online in a while, though. :P

I think it's a good move, though. Online retail drives prices down ridiculously low, and brick-and-mortar stores simply cannot compete with them and stay afloat. It's hard enough staying afloat at RRP, nevermind discounting.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Yup.

And if it irked me as a mere employee, imagine what it's like to be a business owner. There's not keeping up with a changing market, and then there's this - sure you can develop your own on-line presence, but that costs money in itself, and doesn't really do anything to change the overheads of your main business. Your only hope is that the new revenue stream more than covers itself. But if you still can't match deep discount on-line retailers (who may well have a full time job as well) then you're right back to square one!

And how can an on-line retailer have a full time job and run a web store? Well, if all you're doing is picking and packing orders, a determined person could easily do that of an evening - you just need to set your delivery times accordingly, and maybe have a single employee on a part-time basis to be in when the courier comes to pick up that day's packages. And when it comes to rush periods (Black Friday, Chrimbo) just book your annual leave to coincide.

Chapter-Master

used to drive me mad in Game when people would come in to take advantage of your expertise, and then buy online. just going and buying online is one thing, but to actually come and take advantage of everything a store offers, including staff time, to then not reimburse for it...
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast