BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Dreadnought attacks vs Helbrute attacks

While essentially the same, why do Space Marine Dreadnoughts get four attacks during an assault, while Helbrutes get only two? Is this likely to be corrected when the new CSM codex is released? Finally, why do Grey Knight Dreadnoughts also only get two attacks, and why hasn't this been rectified by an official FAQ?

Chaplain

Balance doesn't always mean things perfectly mirror each other. Think of all the crazy Chaos stuff that their Dreadnoughts have access to. Space Marine Dreadnoughts had only 2 attacks for at least 10 years, and just recently got boosted by +2.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Because Loyalist Space Marines get favourism from GW.
    You may also notice that Loyalist Dreads get a Storm bolter attached to their powerfist, while chaos have to pay 5 pts for their equivalent weapon.
    Then you have to take in account the Chapter tactics that loyalists get. (admitatly not all of them work for dreadnoughts)
    While the Hellbrute get's the crazed rule.
    Which is a bad rule (it always seems to roll the exact opposite of what you want at the time)

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Djbz View Post
    Because Loyalist Space Marines get favourism from GW.
    You may also notice that Loyalist Dreads get a Storm bolter attached to their powerfist, while chaos have to pay 5 pts for their equivalent weapon.
    Then you have to take in account the Chapter tactics that loyalists get. (admitatly not all of them work for dreadnoughts)
    While the Hellbrute get's the crazed rule.
    Which is a bad rule (it always seems to roll the exact opposite of what you want at the time)
    Apart from BA... Basically when C:SM and CA got updated dreads got an extra 2 attacks, C:BA missed out and C:CSM is in dire need of an update. I would hole that HB get an extra 2 attacks when/if the codex is updated, BA are a little screwed but the group I play with house rule that they have the extra 2.

With the crazed rule - I always run my HBs in the 5x formation - which allows you to choose the crazed result...
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Ix View Post
    Apart from BA... BA are a little screwed but the group I play with house rule that they have the extra 2.
    Interesting. So, do you feel others like Grey Knights should also get that benefit of extra attacks?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Djbz View Post
    A combi-bolter is arguably better than a stormbolter. While they're both S4 AP5, the combi-bolter is rapid fire and twin-linked, so within 12" it gets two re-rollable shots instead of the stormbolter's "free" second shot at the 12-24" range.

A Combi-Bolter is marginally better, but useless against anything you wanna be punching at S10.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boscolamb View Post
    While essentially the same, why do Space Marine Dreadnoughts get four attacks during an assault, while Helbrutes get only two? Is this likely to be corrected when the new CSM codex is released? Finally, why do Grey Knight Dreadnoughts also only get two attacks, and why hasn't this been rectified by an official FAQ?
    Because of update schedule and lack of FAQ schedule.

There was a time when Black Templars and Dark Angels had their Wargear and rules updated to the current Codex Marines via FAQ. Now, not so much. And Codex Marines have seen two updates since Chaos Marines last one.

As to why no FAQ? Your guess is as good as mine. Too much tea and crumpets leaving no time from writing bad rules to make corrections and updates on an online document an intern would upload? The Sheriff harassing them about taxes that were stolen by Robin Hood? Your guess is as good as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike X View Post
    A combi-bolter is arguably better than a stormbolter. While they're both S4 AP5, the combi-bolter is rapid fire and twin-linked, so within 12" it gets two re-rollable shots instead of the stormbolter's "free" second shot at the 12-24" range.
    I would say it is only better on a model with relentless, such as Terminators and vehicles. In the case of Space Marine characters, they are better of with the assault Stormbolter in general I would say.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    A Combi-Bolter is marginally better, but useless against anything you wanna be punching at S10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    I would say it is only better on a model with relentless, such as Terminators and vehicles. In the case of Space Marine characters, they are better of with the assault Stormbolter in general I would say.
    But don't forget, it also doubles the chances of a successful overwatch.