BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Banned

Maybe you could both try actually just saying something like "I don't think this trailer is good, so I won't be seeing it" or "have to say I didn't find that funny or interesting at all" than reacting to theoretical criticisms?

For instance in the off-topic thread Erik posted a negative view of the trailer and nobody cared.

Unless you're defending people making fun of this sort of thing:

One of the top “liked” comments, by a user named KS R, reads, “This looks awful. An all female cast was a big mistake.” A person with the handle Ali Ameri55 wrote, “Whose genius idea was it to remake a total guy movie with an all female cast? Good way to lose both audiences.” And a person named Derle Dixon simply stated, “Women ruin everything.”

In addition to those and more negative reactions on YouTube, there were hundreds more on Twitter. A user with the handle ‏@SpacePirate_JFT tweeted, “Every time I watch the actual Ghostbusters movie… the all-female remake makes me angrier and angrier.” About the cast, @LexVegasXray griped, “Fat woman, loud black woman and two other women. How about remaking Rambo with all women?” And a user named @Hamstachick expressed, “Really?! Chicks? Corny jokes?… It’s been ruined. Damn.”
    In a recent Variety interview for his new comedy Spy, director Paul Feig was asked how he felt about the tiny man-babies who claim his all-female Ghostbusters reboot will retroactively ruin their childhood:

"The Internet is really funny – I love it, but I hate it at the same time […] The first wave when you make an announcement like that is overwhelmingly positive. Everyone’s so happy and you’re like, This is great. Then comes the second wave and you’re like, Oh my God. Some of the most vile, misogynistic sh** I’ve ever seen in my life."

Feig talked in particular about the “vicious” remarks he saw on Twitter, saying “The biggest thing I’ve heard for the last four months is, ‘Thanks for ruining my childhood.’ It’s going to be on my tombstone when I die. It’s so dramatic. Honestly, the only way I could ruin your childhood is if I got into a time machine and went back and made you an orphan.”

The director says that after receiving a particularly hateful tweet, he often checks out the offender’s profile: “I figure it’s some wacked out teenager. But almost constantly it’s someone whose bio says, ‘Proud father of two!’ And has some high end job. You’re raising children and yet you’re bashing me about putting women in my movie?”
    Because if you're defending that sort of thing... yeah...

Chaplain

In defence of that sort of thing, I have the nagging suspicion that I might be more interested in this if the cast were all hot and topless.

But calling somebody Michael Bay fans is indeed inexcusable.

Could be worse. Could be Zak Snyder fans.

This is a Zak Snyder film for Zak Snyder fans. We'll have no coherent plot or pacing here!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

lol, "can I get a "im allowed to hate" copypasta?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

its the first time Micheal Bays been linked to feminists in a way that doesn't have them wanting to kill him

"Don't care, I'll stand & pee on your leg" is top draw trash talk though.

I don't like the look of it but it might not be aimed at 38 yr olds, so I'll be ok with that (which I know a lot of you were concerned about)
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    its the first time Micheal Bays been linked to feminists in a way that doesn't have them wanting to kill him

"Don't care, I'll stand & pee on your leg" is top draw trash talk though.

I don't like the look of it but it might not be aimed at 38 yr olds, so I'll be ok with that (which I know a lot of you were concerned about)
    Jeeze grimnas, You're such a bigot

(this is of course a joke and its a shame it needs the warning)
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Maybe you could both try actually just saying something like "I don't think this trailer is good, so I won't be seeing it" or "have to say I didn't find that funny or interesting at all" than reacting to theoretical criticisms?

For instance in the off-topic thread Erik posted a negative view of the trailer and nobody cared.
    Also Al Shut on the previous page.

I don't care if people think the trailers look bad. The first one had some very uncomfortable stereotypical black woman elements which got a lot of criticism from feminists and women of colour, rightly so. What I do care about is people complaining solely because the movie has women instead of guys. We had two all male Ghostbusters already, and they relied on a stereotypical street smart black character too (he was originally supposed to be a scientist, they changed it quite late in the piece, the actor was very upset) too, fun fact. There is nothing wrong with having an all-female Ghostbusters, and let's be honest 90% of the criticism guys are leveling at it can be summed up with one image:
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

It has Dan Aykroyd's seal of approval as the 4th film (he considers the game to be the third film).
    If Dan likes it, I'll try it.
    My wife on the other hand saw the trailer and immediately commented "Great, another re-make of something that was good before. Why not make something NEW?"
    Which is a good point.
    From my POV as long as the characters are good, and Melissa Macarthy manages to not be a detriment to the film (so far I've only ever enjoyed her in 'The Heat', which her character totally made for me).
    I'm aware of Wiig, and she seems solid.
    The other two less so, but they're got decent credentials and the trailer makes them look enjoyable.
    My main concern is that the original 2 movies thrived on the chemistry between the main cast (and I include Weaver, Moranis and Potts in that number, as their roles were integral to the dynamic), and the trailers don't show me enough of that to sell me yet. And I'm not sure Helmsworth can sit in Annie Potts chair and do it well, she's a BIG ask to replace in terms of comedy timing and screen presence in so integral a supporting role.
    Also the legendary Rick Moranis (who didn't even like the SECOND film because he dislikes character re-treads so much he even poo-pooed the idea of a Spaceballs sequel), or a great performance by Peter MacNicol, and who plays a better unlikable git than the redoubtable William Atherton!
    I mean think about it, the WHOLE cast have to be too or it all comes crumbling down compared to either.
    I don't care what dangly bits are/n't hanging between the legs of the cast, but it's a movie that's actively inviting comparisons to two of the most seminal pieces of mainstream sci-fi comedy ever made!
    That said, Aykroyd seal of approval, so looks like my wife will have to overcome her concerns and be dragged along anyhow.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    It has Dan Aykroyd's seal of approval as the 4th film (he considers the game to be the third film).
    If Dan likes it, I'll try it.
    Didn't Aykroyd like 'Blues Brothers 2000' too?

First-Captain

Most of the jokes in the first and especially in the second Ghostbusters films are pretty lame. There was also a disappointing amount of racism in the way Winston was treated (especially compared to the original idea behind the character as an air force pilot who was a member from the start, rather than just some guy desperate for work [url]http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ernie-Hudson-Role-Ghostbusters-Was-Supposed-Very-Different-68102.html[/url])

There is a lot of nostalgia involved in peoples treatment of these movies, which is a fine reason to enjoy thing, so I think people could do with some ****ing perspective. No one has a problem with someone saying "I don't like Fiegs movies" or "the trailer didn't look that fun", that's not sexist and no one is ever claiming it is. Pretending that people are calling critics of the movie so far sexist for no reason is willfully ignoring the massive amounts of actual full on misogyny getting thrown around about the actresses (who are all much more accomplished comedy actors than any of the original cast were at that point in their careers).
    Last edited by Path Walker; 03-10-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast