BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Default Who Ya Gonna Call?

Sod it. Ghostbusters thread.

A second trailer has been released, and I'm that much more enthused, having found the first one largely no more than 'OK'.

Think I might just go to the Cinema for this one.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

made me laugh the other day, several blokes telling Murray that there are only two ghostbusters films. I bet they are the same people who until this was announced, were slating ghostbusters 2 and going on about how there is only one film...
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Apparently this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually found both trailers to be pretty funny. Kinda looking forward to this.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

likewise
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

New one is better, both are quite good. I am looking forward to it.

I love the male hysterics its prompted too, delightful.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I'll probably watch it in a few years when the hype is gone and try and enjoy it for what it is. Not terribly impressed by the looks of the story or SFX but I do like the cast.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

My biggest problem isn't even with the movie, it's with the discussion around it.

I'll check this trailer later, but the first one felt like a generic lame "comedy" film that slapped the Ghostbusters aesthetic on itself. I have no interest in that, those movies always feel like they're aimed at the lowest common denominator (while still somehow managing not to actually get as much money as a Michael Bay Transformers movie... weird).

But if you say anything negative, and especially if you're a guy, the narrative is that you just dislike it because of the gender of the cast. You can't have any kind of opinion that the "humor" is lame, or the effects look bad even for effects that should look cheeky (if they're too "realistic," it wouldn't feel right for Ghostbusters), or anything like that. You either praise the movie, or you're a sexist hater. And that's, well... stupid is the most honest word for it. Stupid and dishonest. Yeah, I get that some guys (and women) aren't happy with the casting. But it seems like that line is being used to attack anyone who doesn't like it... which turns off a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have an issue with an all-female cast. It's kind of like being told that the only reason you dislike RombamaCare or a guy claiming he'd get rid of Gitmo and stop endless wars while continuing to keep Gitmo open and bomb multiple countries is because you're racist (since the guy in charge has slightly darker skin, never mind that genetically he's as "white" as he is "black").

Not really surprised that the person who first hit that angle here is a sexist who would, herself, be offended if someone said they were amused at the female hysterics from the casting of male-dominated films.
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 03-09-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Chaplain

Sure the ghost look a lot niftier than back in the days, but I think I'll sit this one out. Or rather give it a try when it turns up on free TV in a few years. Both trailers didn't do much for me.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Nah man, its an epic movie, the producer is an absolute genius.

You either love this movie, or if you think its bad you're a racist, sexist pig.

It cant lose, its the ultimate hedged bet.

Ill pass myself, but then I didnt like the original much either.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    My biggest problem isn't even with the movie, it's with the discussion around it.

I'll check this trailer later, but the first one felt like a generic lame "comedy" film that slapped the Ghostbusters aesthetic on itself. I have no interest in that, those movies always feel like they're aimed at the lowest common denominator (while still somehow managing not to actually get as much money as a Michael Bay Transformers movie... weird).

But if you say anything negative, and especially if you're a guy, the narrative is that you just dislike it because of the gender of the cast. You can't have any kind of opinion that the "humor" is lame, or the effects look bad even for effects that should look cheeky (if they're too "realistic," it wouldn't feel right for Ghostbusters), or anything like that. You either praise the movie, or you're a sexist hater. And that's, well... stupid is the most honest word for it. Stupid and dishonest. Yeah, I get that some guys (and women) aren't happy with the casting. But it seems like that line is being used to attack anyone who doesn't like it... which turns off a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have an issue with an all-female cast. It's kind of like being told that the only reason you dislike RombamaCare or a guy claiming he'd get rid of Gitmo and stop endless wars while continuing to keep Gitmo open and bomb multiple countries is because you're racist (since the guy in charge has slightly darker skin, never mind that genetically he's as "white" as he is "black").

Not really surprised that the person who first hit that angle here is a sexist who would, herself, be offended if someone said they were amused at the female hysterics from the casting of male-dominated films.
    Have I ever told you I love you man. Much more eloquent than I am. Well done
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast