BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallhammer

Default Smallhammer

Morning all.

Just a quick post before work begins...

Was reading my Dark Eldar Codex on the lavvy last night, and I was surprised that Inucbi come in a minimum unit size of 3.

And it got me thinking....if the points limit was say, 700 (arbitrary, eh?), and were restricted to minimum unit sizes (plus associated upgrades), what would your army look like?

Right. Off you go.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

And now we know what MrMystery thinks about when taking a crap
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

For a good while my local was obsessed with "no time for peace" which was a WD game where you played with 500pts, 5 units, max 100pts each. It was a lot of fun.
    In answer to mystery's question.
    As an Ork player it'd probs be 3 Trukk-boyz mobs, couple of lootas mobs, and a warboss. Maybe some individual warbuggies.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

I think it is a good way to play now and again, mix it up a bit. I'd probably go for a small spec ops tau force, some pathfinders, breachers, stealth suits, a couple of crisis suits.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

I think I might do an actual Smallhammer army or two. I'm normally into big collections, so this could prove an interesting aside.

New tactical obstacles as well. After all, in such small points Incubi can be horrific (AP2, decent number of attacks), but with so few I'd want to be very careful as to when I committed them to a punch up - perhaps more 'stay on the Venom doing laps until the last turn, allowing me to snatch victory'.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

it does pose a nice way to collect a small force of something different
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

With Orks, it'd be a bunch of small units that aren't really equipped to do much, and then maybe some small specially equipped units that have a shot at doing some damage. Not sure how effective it'd be.

Imperial Guard would be kind of amusing. Their "minimum" squad size is just a standard squad size, so they could equip themselves fully... and have a pretty good number of models to boot!

Because of the "These Codexes suck" post on the BoLS main page, I was thinking about something similar with Dark Eldar.

I've never wanted to play DE until I read all of the comments on how nobody should be able to win with that codex but I thought lots of minimum sized Kalabite units in Venoms would be gross. Everything would be minimum sized and everything would be geared for killing troops or machine.

Archon - Venom - splinter canon
    4 Kalabites - Sybarite - Haywire - Venom with splinter cannons
    4 Scourages - Solarite - Haywire blasters
    Venom - splinter canon
    Venom - splinter canon
    Ravager - Dark Lance x 3
    Ravager - Dark Lance x 3
    Ravager - Disintegrator Cannon x 3
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Librarian

i like this hammermunda

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    With Orks, it'd be a bunch of small units that aren't really equipped to do much, and then maybe some small specially equipped units that have a shot at doing some damage. Not sure how effective it'd be.

Imperial Guard would be kind of amusing. Their "minimum" squad size is just a standard squad size, so they could equip themselves fully... and have a pretty good number of models to boot!
    Ah....but then Orks might have an easier time, as the unit they're seeking to take out are also all smol. I know I'm a minority on this one, but Choppa boyz still scare me. It's the bucket of attacks they can throw around, even when there's just ten of the little green blighters. Shootas aren't far behind either, and as ever arguably scarier through the sheer number of shots they get at 18" range.

But hey, this is part of the thought exercise.

When you're really strapped for points, you're less likely to see the big scaries on the field (Landraiders I'd suspect not, possibly even up gunned Predators). Removing them from the equation shakes it all up.

I encourage everyone to give it a bash. Break out your codex, and come up with a 700 point Smolhammer force.

The only additional restriction is units cannot exceed their minimum size, and are therefore subject to any equipment restrictions that might bring (Tactical squads, from rusty memory would therefore lack Heavy Weapons)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast