Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default Supremacy Tactical Objectives

via [URL="http://imgur.com/a/mzLeF"]STO on Imgur [/URL] 2-28-2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STO-1.jpg 
Views:	1643 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	17603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STO-2.jpg 
Views:	1478 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	17604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STO-3.jpg 
Views:	1933 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	17605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STO-4.jpg 
Views:	1346 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	17606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STO-5.jpg 
Views:	2583 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	17607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STO-6.jpg 
Views:	1710 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	17608
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

They're an interesting new way to play Maelstrom games, and I'll be glad to give them a try.

But... I feel like I got ripped off.

These cards were made twice the size of standard TO decks, which means you can't just mix in your racial TO cards with these and mix them together to use. Because they're bigger, they're charging over twice as much for these. That might be acceptable, but it gets worse. Rather than the standard hard case that other TO decks come in, these come in a very thin flimsy feeling box. On top of that, the cards themselves feel almost paper thin, and are clearly not the same quality as the other cards.

So in the end, you're paying twice as much for an inferior product. The quality of these feels shockingly bad.

Librarian

Going by what Setzer wrote, and the lame arsed D3 rewards conditions, I'll be passing on this. I really dislike the D3 reward. It's alot of effort for potentially minimal reward. Some of us in our extended playing group just reward 2 instead of D3, which is fair I suppose. Much thanks for the preview.

Chaplain

I actually really like these but wholeheartedly agree with everything Erik said regarding size and quality etc.

However the cards themselves are actually pretty nice, the "storm" and "defend" objectives are a nice touch.

The reason I say that is my Marine army is somewhat unintentionally biassed towards Maelstrom games and I am finding them, dare I say it, a bit too easy.

I run a Gladius so having Tactical Marines and Rhinos with Obj Sec means I dominate Objectives 1 through 6 most of the time (especially if I combat squad).

So holding objectives for longger or stealing objectives makes it a bit more of a challenge for me, but that might just be personal preference.

But yes I would have loved to have been able to mix these in with my army specific cards but obviously they won't match....

In terms of their use in a game, discounting their physical quality, they look like they have the potential to be fun. The lack of anything too extremely specific is nice. I think most, if not all, existing decks already have D3 (or even D6) cards. In this case, it seems to be limited the TO's to grabbing specific objectives or killing certain types of units, something that most armies can generally do.

That said, if you're not keen on the TO card concept, they're certainly not worth you getting, and it's not wrong of you to pass on them.

Librarian

I do like the TO games, when the cards are not screwing me over , though it does go both ways. Im just not fond of the D3 reward mechanic.

Yeah, it's not the kind of game you play for testing skill, really, more fun for narrative battles. I've had a rough time with the cards, and sometimes I've benefited from them. For those kind-of-random fun games, though, they're nice. Just have to be in the mindset to accept that the card draw might go against you, and find your "zen" for when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Yeah, it's not the kind of game you play for testing skill, really, more fun for narrative battles.
    I would say that goes for all of GW's products.

Tried them this past weekend, lost something like 7-0, maybe 8-0?

Friend wanted to play and I wanted to try the cards, so I suggested we do a TO game. He wanted to do a fun setup so arranged the store's castle walls in a formation that went all around the table (hard to describe), but made it feel like most of the board was inside a fortress's walls. He won the roll to set up and selected the area with plenty of walls to set up on. Army-wise, he had a mass of IG infantry, only vehicle was a Chimera for his main command squad. Meanwhile, I had an elite force of Space Wolves with Wolf Guard, Wolf Scouts, Long Fangs, and Thunderwolf Cavalry, geared to tear apart armor and tanks... which he didn't have, making that a lot of moot points. He kept drawing cards to hold objectives he was already sitting on... mine were to go capture the objectives at the far end of the table (that he was sitting on), with one of the objectives to hold it for a turn. Unfortunately, weight of firepower ground down my small army before it could reach where it needed to go, though I did tear apart a large portion of the IG army. The one objective I needed to hold, I managed to actually take... but then got an Orbital Bombardment dropped on the guys who took it (right before I slaughtered the command squad calling the strikes). Trying to assault up castle walls didn't help.

It's hard to judge the cards after that match. The one did mean I didn't score a point that I would have with a regular "take this objective" card, but that just means it was tougher to achieve the objectives, which can be appreciated. The tricky thing is that some say something like you have to take an objective that was controlled by the enemy at the start of the turn, which might get back if it's, say, an objective in the middle of your army that the enemy will never reach. But, again, it's really just the luck of the draw at the right time.

As for the horrible loss, the narrative explanation could be that some rogue PDF (hence no tanks) thumbed their nose at the Imperium, and an elite force of Space Wolves was dropped into the middle of their fortress, tasked with taking it and holding it. Unfortunately, the traitors were too well armed and entrenched, so while many of them died, the Space Wolves failed in their task of taking the fortress.

Admittedly, while the game was fun, that was kind of a demoralizing situation. I'll give them more attempts before I pass judgment on them over normal TO cards (which have led to similar situations).

Battle-Brother

I will agree on the quality, I think the larger cards make the cardstock seem flimsier.
    I know you can use sleeves, but it seems a bit of a cheek to skimp on them, when they should get used so frequently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast