BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Flyers - The great disappointment?

How do?

Currently listening to 'Death or Glory' by Iron Maiden, because it's ace.

And it's got me thinking about the unit type I find to be the most 'meh' in modern 40k. It used to be Bikes (only speaking for myself), but now it's most definitely flyers.

I don't mean the models, I really like those. I don't mean how tough the game can be if your opponent has gone airborne and your army has ridiculous few/no AA weapons in their Codex, as that's entirely situational.

No, I mean how they work on the field. They just don't appeal to me. Some are dedicated interceptors. Some are dedicated ground attack. Some are in the middle. But none satisfy.

I think they just don't belong in the scale 40k is played at. The field is much too smol, limiting how their rules can work. Now don't get me wrong, the current rules are massively better than FW's original take, but still disappointingly bland.

When I think Flyers, I think of dogfights and long, fast strafing runs. 40k has neither. Instead of incredibly fast jetspacedeathwings, we've got, well, really nippy but not terribly manouverable tanks with near-laughable armour ratings for the most part (not inappropriate though. Indeed, AV12 flyers are bent for a number of reasons)

If/when we get 8th Ed 40k, I'd love to see extra complexity for Flyers - even a sort of 'side board' game where dedicated interceptors can do their best to get in the way of bombing and strafing runs, on account that's what interceptors traditionally do. Intercept. To my mind, such units should have to get through the Interceptor to get on the board, or only enter once the Interceptor has intercepted and there's nothing else to intercept. Yes, I know this is a bit much. But still.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

When the rumors and confirmations of flyer rules were being discussed, this was a big argument against their inclusion in standard 40k games. The scale for flyers is better represented in Epic scale where the board is big enough to include all the turning without having the model come in one round, shoot, maybe move and shoot again, and then leave the table if he, or she, isn't shot down first. they really are just a different form of artillery(indirect weapons), while some can be used as transports.

Scout

There's a lot of abstraction that goes on in 40K. The size of the table really isn't big enough to realistically portray anything other than an urban engagement. Modern day vehicles can engage each other from a mile away. 40K games start off with its vehicles being within what in modern day engagements would be considered point-blank range.

So, if we want the vehicles in the game, and we don't want them to be able to reach every part of the table while tucked into one corner of it, then we have weapons with unrealistically short ranges.

The same logic applies with flyers. GW wanted to include them in the game, but the FW rules for them were pants. People want their models to be on the table. So, they get speed/turning rules that keep them on the table. Also, it's not unreasonable to think that aircraft in the far future can both turn more easily and fly more slowly without stalling than modern aircraft can.

True, but I find it stretches my suspension of disbelief.

Other opinions are just as valid of course.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I agree that most flyers don't belong in this scale of 40k (also special characters but that's just my two cents) ... I think things the size of land speeders are ok, but bombas, valkyries, necron crescent rolls, storm ravens, etc. should be moving too fast to even really be present on the table.

Perhaps if they moved more like helicopters I could get behind them.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Drophips make sense, either landing and shooting on the way in, or moving like an overgrown speeder?
    idk the current ruleset, but something supposedly like a future jetfighter should be just whipping across the table and gone.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Drophips make sense, either landing and shooting on the way in, or moving like an overgrown speeder?
    idk the current ruleset, but something supposedly like a future jetfighter should be just whipping across the table and gone.
    Yup. And I can imagine any attempts to intercept Droppers and Bombers is usually done well before they get within their own reach.

Sorry to any Flyer Fans out there, but remember, it's just my opinion

This is actually one of the reasons I shelved my 40K collection recently, (after much time online defending the game,) and went with Dropzone Commander.

My ultimate dream was an airborne Guard regiment, and I immediately realised that any more than three Fliers has a few effects:
    - The models and bases are massive and clutter the table,
    - Turning is a PitA and they can be easily outmaneuvred,
    - Anything without Hover and with Hull-Mount weapons will be one good shot per game,
    - If you don't explicitly tell your opponent what you're bringing it makes for a dull, dull game,

DzC, conversely, had Fliers integrated from the get-go and it really shows in comparison. AA is plentiful and available to all factions, and is an important consideration when building your force. It can come in a variety of platforms and flavours, and each faction typically has a collection of vehicles, aircraft and infantry that can bring it with them. Even most standard Infantry can concentrate fire on fliers to try for a lucky hit on a fuel line or something, in a pinch.

Your standard Fliers merely move like normal craft, though typically faster, and can ignored obstructions of 6" height or lower. Anything more and they "climb" over the obstacles sacrificing movement to do so. Most can only shoot if they move half speed, but they can turn how they want, and move as fast as they're able if they want. Those are the gunship/dropship type fliers.

The other type are Fast Movers, which you draw a line across the board for, taking into consideration obstacles and enemy AA, and it travels along that line, engages targets with its weapons, then leaves via board edge. This can happen from any point on any board edge to any other. Some of these are Interceptors, which can chase down enemy Fast Movers when they activate.

AA can also Reaction Fire against aircraft that move into line of sight, but the range can't be pre-measured and you take a -2 to your Hit rolls. This means you have to weigh up taking that opportunity shot now, and saving it for your activation later when you can engage at full Accuracy. This gives more tactical opportunity. E.g., the maligned Hydra is disliked because it basically sits there with its thumb up its bum while your entire opponent's army rolls in, realises it might mildly harass a Flier that's just come on, and blows it up before you get to do anything with it next turn, which was probably just snap-fire because you're Shaken and miss anyway.

Basically Reaction Fire is like Interceptor, but with a reason to not always do it every chance you get. It also helps that AA weapons are typically horribly lethal and slightly longer-ranged than the flier weapons engaging them, so there's no real benefit from trying to run a Flier into its face and shoot first.

Also Infantry Troops are really important in DzC, rather than that annoyance you take a minimum of in order to save points for the really cool stuff.

And no separate damage system for Vehicles and Infantry, making things feel more streamlined. Alternate Activations so you're not spending half an hour occasionally rolling Saves while your opponent moves 140 Gunts and rolls mountains of dice for them.

In a nutshell, 40K needs a complete overhaul, IMO. It's really showing its age, and tbh I've really fallen out of love with the system.
    Last edited by CoffeeGrunt; 02-12-2016 at 05:12 AM.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    T

The other type are Fast Movers, which you draw a line across the board for, taking into consideration obstacles and enemy AA, and it travels along that line, engages targets with its weapons, then leaves via board edge. This can happen from any point on any board edge to any other. Some of these are Interceptors, which can chase down enemy Fast Movers when they activate.
    Isn't that how they originally approached fliers in 40k? When you were limited to FW stuff in about 3rd/4th?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

The Elysian army I'm working on has 7 sexy flyers I'm working on but to be honest, I'd never have them all on the table if I can help it, especially the Forgeworld ones. The models are great and seeing them all when they are eventually finishes X many years down the line shall be sexy as hell, but unless I can come up with some way to properly weigh the bases and make the flying stands and detachable wings(necessary for transport but a constant worry on the table) stay on solidly then it's not worth the risk(or anxiety over) of them tumbling over and breaking(especially the forgeworld ones, those things are gorgeous, but heavy, not very durable and expensive to replace), not to mention potential casualties on the ground.

In terms of the game though, I think one or two work well. Plenty of military aircraft specialize as interceptors or strike craft and gunships. I know a vulture or avenger in 1k or 1250 lending fire support to by Elysian vets is always fun and it doesn't mess up the game much other than a small bit of the aforementioned falling anxiety.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast