BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

I seriously doubt GW was considering female wargamers when they were designing SoB.

I've never really believed the make them in plastic and people will buy them line. They didn't really sell well when pretty much everything was metal they were first released in 2nd ed after all. Still they haven't done it so we don't really know.

Would they come over better as their original incarnation as a force used to persecute rebel Astartes? I don't know they just feel a little inconsequential at the moment I feel they need a better job than just guarding temples.

It's all a bit of a vicious circle low sale equals low support which in turn means low sales. Still GW seems more inclined to take a few risks at the mo so who knows? The Sisters of Silence (who are way cooler) will probably go over well and that may kickstart things.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Initially, SoB very much suffered from Newarmyitis.

The symptoms of this include few unit choices, limited model range, and competing against others which offer far more choice.

Let's go back and think what they actually had....

SoB Troops, SoB Heavies, Seraphim, Rhino, Immolator, Fretaris Militia, and a couple of characters. That was it. That was your army.

Barring the Rhino and the hybrid Immolator, all metal models. This was at a time when others were starting to get more plastic stuff, be it tanks or troops. It was also a very, very peculiar time. Most of the original wave of 40k gamers, therefore those who had built up their collection over a number of years, were still kicking. So the comparative lack of plastic stuff mattered less. But SoB were not only a new army, but a new faction rather than one spun off from a parent force.

They also, rather unfortunately, came at the end of 2nd Ed. Right at the tail end. The change to 3rd Ed was a shocker. Whilst the game indisputably needed streamlining, baby went out with the bathwater, resulting in a tepid gaming experience largely divorced from it's background.

And in short, little has been done with SoB since then. There's been various attempts, but none that have really worked due to a lack of plastics - remember, by the time Codex Witch Hunters came out, plastic troop choices were very much the norm. What did Sisters get? A plastic Immolator, and a poo load of new all metal troops. They had changed from an interesting independent army, instead being roped into a mere Inquisitorial Chamber Militant.

But...there is hope. They remain out there. Whilst still not what the line, let alone it's fans deserve, the e-Codex was more than a mere lip service.

There were once two other armies languishing with SoB in development hell. Dark Eldar and Necrons. Say what you like about the rules in their Codex, their model ranges stand as proof that when GW finally cracks it in terms of 'this is what we want them to be', all the stops get pulled out. Necrons? From their original 3rd Ed Codex, only the Monolith, Warriors and Destroyers remain on the shelves. Dark Eldar? Entire range. The whole thing. Top to bottom redo, and they look excellent.

SoB's time will come. And looking (purely models wise, on account it's far more objective than subjective than rules) at what GW have been putting out over the past few years, it's going to be a belter.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Dark Eldar? Entire range. The whole thing. Top to bottom redo, and they look excellent.
    Drazhar says hi
    [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Eldar-Drazhar?_requestid=957271[/url]
    Last edited by Haighus; 02-10-2016 at 08:46 AM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Quiet, you!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

They seemed popular at launch. But there was a very limited range.
    They must have sold reasonably well because there always seemed to be unpainted availability in the second hand market locally.

I've probably got 60 painted, and probably another 100 unpainted. I would buy plastics at launch.

- - - Updated - - -

assuming they didn't ruin the aesthetic. But I would love more helmets.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I assume plastic would come with a horde of spare parts on the sprue, so would likely contain enough heads to make a completely helmeted or un-helmeted squad.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Not to mention, again, this has happened about once a month for the last three years I've been in this hobby, and every time people get super excited that a new release is coming, followed by them simply being restocked.

IIRC, all GW's minis are still manufactured in the UK, so they're probably just shipping a new batch over for you traitorous colonials.
    Damn you and your "sense" and "rational thinking" :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
    Are you guys still upset because you weren't invited to our tea party? For the thousandth time, the invitation was lost in the mail!

As one who once proudly owned an SoB army, I can say without reservation that the whole idea was sketchy. Nuns with Guns? Gals with 60's Pixie hair, boyish bodies with boobies, wearing Power Armor? And, those scantily clad naughty sisters with chainsaws? All of the arguments against Squats apply to SoB's. A concept that is at its core a politically incorrect joke. That would need a real revamp to make it plausible and appealing. Much less, less offensive. Add to that the ridiculous fiction this is supposed to be the army that appeals to (mythical?) 40K female gamers. Cause, you know, women are drawn to fanatical, sexually repressed, self-sacrificing boy/gals that are not nearly as good at their job as their manly, superhuman male counterparts. Oh, and the only reason they even exist is the Imperial Church can't have men in it's army. Except for the men who are the real bosses of the women. If GW, a company that is so sublime it has dudes in Power Armor riding wolves, and names EVERYTHING "Death(fill in the blank)" or "Blood(fill in the blank)" can thread this needle, I'll be amazed.
    I can see why you didn't get invited to the tea party.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    I assume plastic would come with a horde of spare parts on the sprue, so would likely contain enough heads to make a completely helmeted or un-helmeted squad.
    Based on recent space marine sprues you'd assume as much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
    Are you guys still upset because you weren't invited to our tea party? For the thousandth time, the invitation was lost in the mail!
    We couldn't afford to go, we were busy paying higher taxes than those you were complaining about

To be fair, I think we dodged a bullet given how things have turned out with most of the ex-colonies, but let's not make this political.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

True, come to the Oubliette if you want that discussion, its always so fun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast