BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Losing faith in your army?

Hi, well this has probably come up before but I've been collecting Tyranids for a while now and since looking at the new rules for the Wulfen I've actually started questioning the effectiveness of the Tyranids in the game,

I've got around 5000 points of an army with a lot of varied units and monsters and have built it up using a few formations and do enjoy some of the larger games, but whilst the army certainly looks good and can read well in their own book once it gets onto the table the threat of the army seems to vanish.
    A lot of this seems to be that even though the bigger things have a reasonable toughness of 6, there's so much out there with equipment which makes a lot of the things in the army look quite sad. Losing a Tervigon in a single turn of shooting to Thousand Sons was quite sad.

Seeing how GW decided it was a good idea to reduce the effectiveness of a lot of things from the 5th to 6th edition book as well as reducing the impact of smash attacks is there a hope that they might actually undo this and make the army more of a threat that the background makes them out to be?

Chaplain

I hear ya, man. At least things are getting a bit better for the 'nids with the re-introduction of the Tyrranocite "spod." Those Tyranid dataslates that came out a year or so ago had some neat tricks available for genestealers, too.

I feel your pain.

I don't think GW's plan is to reduce the effectiveness of an army though. I think it's a case of creating an arms race and/or codex creep and unfortunately 'Nids have been lapped. They will rebound.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Librarian

I feel similar with my Orks. If I were to take a "tourny list" to a battle, there are just too many counters to any shenanigans that my Orks can or would do that it becomes an exercise in pulling models off the table. quite dis-heartening indeed. And now that Forgeworld has dropped the pdf for the Dread Mob list and Zhadsnark from IA:8, it's just a waiting game to see what ultimately happens to my favorite faction.

Scout

It's only right that I reply as a Chaos player since Tyranids and Orks have made an appearance. It really didn't bother me that CSM was getting left behind until I allowed myself to be falsely led into the hopes that CSM were getting new stuff soon... nope, just AoS. The amount of old models, ineffective units and lack of any real formations is disheartening to say the least. Not to say its not impossible to win with CSM and we kinda got something with the Khorne Daemonkin but that was mostly taking pre-existing units and making them work together in new ways.

The problem is not that some armies are weaker than others but the gap that exists between strong armies (Space Marines, Eldar, Tau, Necrons,..) and weaker armies (CSM, DE, Orcs,..). Because even if the player of a strong army is not trying to WAAC, you are basically fighting an uphill battle as your models are expensive (pointwise), without special rules and formations while he basically brings along better models for less points.
    Some armies also add stupid weapon rules on top of it (grav, D)

I'm a BA player here and I am feeling a similar sting from the creep. While I am in no way saying BAs have it nearly as bad as CSM/Nids/etc, I do feel increasingly left behind by each new update. Sure, I *could* take a drop pod melta army and have a good pop at most armies, but I don't think it's right that an army has only one real effective way of working, or worse, no effective way. What if I want to take some Death Company, a Land Raider, maybe some bikes? If I do I tend to get rinsed by most opponents. How does a CC focused army hope to stand in front of, say, Eldar with all scat bikes and D? It ain't gonna happen. Sorry, I have started moaning *yet again* about this (it's the one thing that annoys me more than codex creep, and it's me moaning about codex creep lol).

It just feels to me like each new 40K release in some way attempts to paper over a crack that a previous release introduced. Worse still some armies aren't even getting that much. It's getting frustrating.

Chaplain

I just put up a post describing my first foray back into Orks. It was a GW promotions day for the new kits, and was nearly a disaster until my bog standard Ghaz & Mega Nobz carved their way through 800 points of nids. But I lost the same number of points with rokkits, mega blastas and big shootas bouncing of Tau like hail stones. Apparently you got to shoot the Ghost Keel 1st, the one with a 2+ save for everything.

But I do have a question, can't the tunnelers, Mawlocks and the like, cause grief to the enemy? Flyrants & goyles on high and locks and gribblies from below. Does this not work?

Chaplain

Yeah I also know what you mean.

I seem to pretty much exclusively play my Space Marines at the moment whilst my Astra Militarum (or Imperial Guard to me....) and Dark Eldar sit gathering dust and have done since their last Codex came out.

It's not that I am a WAAC player, it's just that I only get to play about once a month and want to have a fun game that I at least stand a chance of winning....

What bugs me the most about the current trend is that you can have a build that is fluffy and works in one edition (my Dark Eldar are a Wych Cult army) but then gets nerfed when new models come out (I don't want a Haemonculous coven...).

And IG/AM just seem way too overcosted for what they are now (some of the special characters got nerfed but got a points increase).

But having said that there are things in my Space marine Codex that are just either too good or massively undercosted. Devastator Centurions and Storm Talons I'm looking at you....

So there is a huge disparity between armies and I feel really sorry for those armies that have either been neglected or simply hit with the nerf bat. Tyranids especially got hit hard. I can't help but think GW are a bit Xenophobic....

And Orks and CSM are also suffering right now.

I had hoped that formations would resolve a lot of these issues but the ones released for Am / IG would require me to build and paint 50 - 100 more guardsmen which I'm not prepared to do.

And it's the same for armies like 'Nids - they got a load of fab new Monstrous Creatures and kits - and then Graviton came out....

So I agree it is an arms race, and I do end up just not playing armies until eventually I can play them again.

Chapter-Master

I've kind of got the reverse thing going on. I've been an Eldar player since they practically were invented as a faction and now I get all kinds of nasty stares and snide comments about how I must be a power gaming d-bag if I play Eldar.

In fact I'm surprised the BoLS naughty-language filters haven't scrubbed the word "Eldar" from the allowable vocabulary yet (since it seems everything else has been).

So I'm losing faith in my army because it seems the internet has turned against it. It seems that there's this permeating belief that if your opponent plays Eldar, you're going to automatically lose (Mind you I've lost more games with my new Eldar than won - so it's clearly not the case). This has led me to lose faith in the player base, and I'd rather just not play than subject myself to this form of artificial discrimination.

I also have a BAGK force that I dabble in, but they're really only there for when I get bored with painting Eldar. I use them about once or twice a year.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast