BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What did you say about the 80's?

DEEEEEEAAAAAAAAATTTTTTHHHHH!

DEATH AND VENGEANCE!!!!!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Hey I love the 80s as much as the nest person in their 30s, but the TechBarbarian with a mohawk isn't going to have the same emotional impact to a 20 year old is all!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Hey I love the 80s as much as the nest person in their 30s, but the TechBarbarian with a mohawk isn't going to have the same emotional impact to a 20 year old is all!
    I hate that you're right.

Chaplain

I always thought the Western influence was a bit too much with ratskins (I see what you did there) and the bit where gangs were having Western style duels. I could gladly live without that.

Apart from that I just want plastic models with a ton of weapon options.

Chapter-Master

to be fair the recent mad max film has kinda changed that, allthough it is updated from the 80's - but dieselpunk is well alive.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    to be fair the recent mad max film has kinda changed that, allthough it is updated from the 80's - but dieselpunk is well alive.
    Its still a subculture of a subculture of a subculture, its not got the same resonance now, look at B movies/video game boxes from the 80s, lurid punk baddies were "in" then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    I hate that you're right.
    I do too mate, I do too. It means we'll never get the pre unification wars Techno-Barbarian skirmish game I want.

Chapter-Master

I think now more than ever a cyberpunk dystopia setting would be perfect.
    I want a remade Necromunda, with lots of scope beyond the core gangs. characters. cults. aliens. all the madness. It'll be corking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    So there's not actually a forum for such threads yet, so putting it here for want of anywhere else (please Bigred, I'll be your best friend, and Psychosplodge will be your slave for like, a week if we can have a shiny new SG general board!)
    Idk if I can fit it, I'm already doing three peoples work...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Hush your noise and work harderer.

There. Who says I have no management skills.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I love Necromunda, its my favorite game (almost certainly nostalgia driven) and it despertly needs GW to come in and make the rules. The "New Community Edition 2" of Necromunda is a living testament to why games design by committee doesn't work. The game is fractured into 3 or 4 different versions of the rules, the most recently updated including such fresh nonsense as letting starting gangs buy Boltguns for gangers and that sort of rubbish. The Bolter is a holy relic, owning one without sanction is punishable by death. Even in the Underhive its seen as a symbol of status and wealth, its why a starting gang can't buy them unless its for the leader.

What I'd like to see?

Low tech, we've seen Space Marines get more and more toys, the Militarum can some impressive new bits of kit. The Underhive is a place where you don't see much technology beyond a Lasgun. Anything else is Archeotech, the detritus of generations before hidden deep among the rubble and sludge. You're lucky to find it, most gangs will spend their lives digging around hoping to get rich. Your heavy has a Heavy Stubber because that's all you can afford, your gangs have revolvers and autoguns and count themselves amongst the biggest threats in the Underhive.

I know people are getting excited about xenos in the hive and that's cool to throw in once in a campaign but I really hope they concentrate on what makes the setting so good, its humans desperately scratching a living in the lawless wastes. I want to see men and women fighting to survive, to make it out of the Underhive, who aspire to the drudgery of the Hive City. The Hive is a massively dense city, Necromunda is deep in human territory (and a recruitment world for the Imperial Fists), Xenos incurrsion is going to be very rare if it happens at all, Tau (with their lack of real FTL travel) aren't going to make it that far for a long time.

I think the box and rules might well come without any gangs, just a big box of terrain, walkways and ladders and platforms that brings the verticality that made fighting in the underhive so interesting. The gangs probably won't ever see plastic, its too risky, especially as you want a lot of variety in your Houses. Some Forgeworld resin, with different gun options (like the hand/gun sprues from the 2000 gang resculpts) would be more realistic.

I'd not be surprised if we saw a different Hive on the planet with new houses. The Goliath punk-barbarian aesthetic is rooted in the 80s, for example, and probably won't translate well to today's audience.
    Agree with most things, except that there is no way GW would produce a game without any miniatures. A minimal amount possible, 12-16 vs the usual 50+. Also with xenos its not like they should be common, but as a long term plan for FW releases introducing a xenos gang every once and a while would keep things interesting.

Certainly the gang aesthetics would need to be tweaked in most cases, just updated in terms of sculpt in some cases (Cawdor) but others would need big updates. Need ot make sure delaque don't end up looking like 90s hackers lol.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Need ot make sure delaque don't end up looking like 90s hackers lol.
    But I like that aesthetic for them

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast