BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I try to be nice to people, and help people, but that so often ends with bad experiences. Family members or a "friend" who come crying for help with some serious financial issue, and I help, and then they never pay back any of it, or return favors. It's an ongoing experience, I do for others and get nothing in return. I have no idea why I even try to help. Logically, it's stupid. I shouldn't. But I feel bad if I don't. Heck, I feel bad if I even think to myself that I don't want to sit on the computer and talk to someone while playing games (especially as it's probably hurting my health)... but then I realize they probably need someone to talk to and keep them from feeling bad, so I just tough it out anyway.
    I try to be a good person, but I know I'm not. I can't be. If so many people hate you and hardly anyone likes you and no one, not even your family, loves you, then how good can you be? And there, I find myself thinking again... would the negatives caused by removing such wrongness from the world be worse than the positives it'd bring? Surely the net positive would be worth it?
    Erik, I know I've disagreed with things you have said here on BOLS before, but on the whole I definitely respect your posts, and I can't read this without seeing the contradiction you yourself have just posted. See the quotes above (there is more in the first part you wrote too). Your worth isn't only measured by how others treat you.

I appreciate that you did start by saying how you dislike medication and and medical environments, but some of the things you are working through alone (or near alone, this friend sounds like a true friend) are things that talking therapies can help a lot with. It would probably require spending a good deal of time in setting you are not comfortable with though, so I can understand you not wanting to engage with that, but don't rule it out. I'm not sure what the provision is like in the US either though.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chapter-Master

I have had very negative experiences with medication so I can understand why someone would be hesitant to give that stuff a go. Best thing I find is just focussing on my music and projects but that might not be for everyone.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

First-Captain

I'm glad somebody's started a thread like this, good on you Mystery.

As for myself, I do understand where most of you are coming from, at a young age I've had to look after my mother who had a serious weight disorder and Epiolepsy (sp?), my father was too self centred to give a damn about anyone else except himself and he was unemployed pretty much permently so as a family we had very little money, needless to say Child Poverty is a terrorible thing to live through and I truely dispair that it's still occours even here in London, one of the richest cities in Europe.

So growing up at school, I was bullied daily because of my circumstance (and kids really can be crueller then adults) and was pretty much a full time carer for my mother.

Needless to say, I had problems at school as a result of all that I ended up having to go to a special educational needs school, which is where I first came to learn about the Warhammer world through Hero Quest, sadly after 4 years their that school got closed down and I ended up at another similar one, which when I was 16 also closed down.

I had little in the way of quailfiactions, and ended up working in retailling where I've been stuck for almost 18 years now on and off, during which I was finally dignosed with "Recursive depression" (docs words not mine).

Sadly this summer it's flaired up quite badly and I've struggle to do anything but go to work and come home again and just read whatever I can, just to stop thinking anything, my figure painting has just dropped right off and it's annoying me, but I just can't get into it at present, I'm hoping when Christmas is over, I should be in a better frame of mind.

Thankfully I've managed to stay away from being Suicidal all this time, mostly because I'm afraid of making things worse for me physically if I tried to end my life and F***ed the attempt up.

And to be honest, I'm grateful that I do have that niggling thought keeping me from going over that line.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    I'm afraid of making things worse for me physically if I tried to end my life and F***ed the attempt up.
    It is seriously hard to do it in a way that is 100% successful, and the results of an unsuccessful attempt are rather awful. Even the old standby of "bullet to the brain" carries a high risk that, rather than killing yourself, you'll actually just screw up your motor skills or even just reduce yourself to a vegetative state, and in the process, actually make your life a lot worse. So yeah, the risks are way too high. (Not that there's a real "risk vs reward" thing here, as objectively the reward is no reward at all.)

If you hit a deep depression that makes it difficult to do basic human stuff, take a look at this self care checklist - [url]http://bit.ly/1FmQ2Rn[/url] - esp if you don't have someone that can remind you.

Chapter-Master

I was initially treated for depression while still at primary school. And have suffered bouts on and off ever since.
    At my worst (about 22) I gave up eating more or less completely (theres a scary photo on fb of me at about 8 stone, I'm 6'3") because I just couldn't be arsed any more, and I started suffering anxiety and panic attacks.
    While I only suffered panic attacks for about six months when I was at my lowest, I've never fully recovered from the anxiety and still struggle to make a phonecall to someone I don't know and will put it off to the last possible moment( bear in mind I'm expected to provide occasional over the phone tech support, fun eh?).
    Getting the right medication is important. It took four attempts before I found something that could make me function. And that's all it does it makes you function, not better. And the side effects of the ones that didn't work were downright terrifying at times.
    It also shows you just who your friends really are and can surprise you with the answers.
    I don't expect to ever recover from depression, but I am largely functional.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

more disability benefit cuts :
    [url]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-government-is-cutting-a-disability-benefit-that-already-leaves-a-third-of-recipients-unable-to-a6764641.html[/url]

A choice quote from the article

The Government says cutting the disability benefits payments by nearly a third will help incentivise sick and disabled people to find jobs.

I feel like jumping off a cliff more and more these days and if I didn't have a parent to look after me I probably would be a goner by now. So nice to live in a country run by overpriviliged, rich sociopaths that seemingly enjoy targetting those of that are the weakest and most vulnerable along with their apathetic voters. What do you mean I sound angry?
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    more disability benefit cuts :
    [url]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-government-is-cutting-a-disability-benefit-that-already-leaves-a-third-of-recipients-unable-to-a6764641.html[/url]

A choice quote from the article

The Government says cutting the disability benefits payments by nearly a third will help incentivise sick and disabled people to find jobs.

I feel like jumping off a cliff more and more these days and if I didn't have a parent to look after me I probably would be a goner by now. So nice to live in a country run by overpriviliged, rich sociopaths that seemingly enjoy targetting those of that are the weakest and most vulnerable along with their apathetic voters. What do you mean I sound angry?
    What the ****? What the actual ****?!! That makes no bloody sense at all! Because disability and mental health aren't sidelined enough as it is... I hope this doesn't affect my brother's situation too much.

People in the benefit group facing the cut are new claimants who the Department for Work and Pensions has deemed to have a limited capacity to work at some point in the future.
    ****, it most likely will affect him then.
    Last edited by Haighus; 12-08-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chapter-Master

I sincerely hope your brother will be okay Iain Duncan Smith should be fired and put on trial for crimes against humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I sincerely hope your brother will be okay Iain Duncan Smith should be fired and put on trial for crimes against humanity.
    Thank you. He has a pretty crippling bi-polar/Asperger's syndrome combo, but anyone who would just talk to him on the street would probably think he is pretty functional and capable.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast