BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Scout

Default 1850 Competitive Eldar List

So I'm planning a new list... thoughts and feedback on the below please.

Craftworld Warhost Detachment [Primary Detachment]:
    Guardian Battlehost:
    Farseer - 100
    10 Guardians - (free weapon [Eldar Missilie Launcher]) - 90
    1 War Walker - 2 Scatter Lasers - 60
    1 Vyper - 2 Shuriken Cannons - 50
    1 D-Cannon - 55

Heroes of the Craftworld:
    Autarch: Fusion - 80

Engines of Vaul:
    3 Falcons - 3 Pulse Lasers, 3 Scatter Lasers, 3 Shuriken Cannons - 405

Aspect Host:
    5 Fire Dragons - Exarch - 120

Eldar Combined Arms Detachment [Secondary Detachment]:
    Farseer Skyrunner - 115
    3 Windriders - 51
    3 Windriders - 51
    3 Hornets - 6 Pulse Lasers - 240

Total 1837pts.
    JJ - WH40K: Eldar & Imperial Guard - WHFB: Warriors of Chaos - BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar

if your goals to win that looks nothing like a winning list (to me). looks like a fun list simply because of the guardian battlehost which i love. check out that 3rd place eldar DE list with fire dragons and swooping hawks that did very well. basically warp spiders hawks dragons are great and the foot guardian host isnt that great. most ppl take the bike version and people love to spam wraithknights....

i would drop the guardian defender host and take the bike version. then maybe add a wraithknight or some transports for your fire dragons somehow. DE stuffs cheap and open topped.

i don't like falcons, thats just me. i get you have fire dragons in falcons but ive never liked investing 300 points ish in a single unit and they have to stay in formation correct? thats like 700 points in one spot so idk

edit - that being said its pretty sweet to kill knights and super stuffs right? but i feel it could be done cheaper with other transports
    Last edited by eosgreen; 07-26-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Scout

I think it can still win but it's not going to be beating the top tier armies, trying to find a balance between being at least semi-competitive and fluffy. I don't own any jetbikes currently so realistically the skyrunner version isn't doable for me at the moment. The Falcons are in a squadron so they can use their Cloudstrike rule to Deep Strike the 3 units of Fire Dragons on turn 2+ with no scatter. The Craftworld Warhost then lets them auto run 6" and the Farseer Skyrunner can hopefully get to them to Prescience and/or Guide two units of them. They should be pretty deadly on arrival. The Falcons do have to stay in formation though.
    Last edited by jjakaalbinoboy; 08-01-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    JJ - WH40K: Eldar & Imperial Guard - WHFB: Warriors of Chaos - BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by jjakaalbinoboy View Post
    I thing it can still win but it's not going to beating the top tier armies, trying to find a balance between being at least semi-competitive and fluffy. I don't own any jetbikes currently so realistically the skyrunner version isn't doable for me at the moment. The Falcons are in a squadron so they can use their Cloudstrike rule to Deep Strike the 3 units of Fire Dragons on turn 2+ with no scatter. The Craftworld Warhost then lets them auto run 6" and the Farseer Skyrunner can hopefully get to them to Prescience and/or Guide two units of them. They should be pretty deadly on arrival. The Falcons do have to stay in formation though.
    try dakka will get better feedback. as for the list and continuing the discussion. I love the fire dragon and falcons. I even believe in this heavy knight meta its a great investment its just overkill/dangerous. I think id rather get more fire dragons in more transports that are open topped than falcons BUT vs skyhammer formations this kicks ***. you have an autarch so you can manipulate them coming in hopefully and skyhammer wont be able to dominate it as well. gota run what your style is tho i guess. does the unit function as a complete unit rule wise? as in, must all shoot the same target? havent really seen this played yet

Scout

Cheers, I've put a post on Dakka too. Yeah I played my first game with the cloudstrike on Tuesday, it's interesting for sure. The Falcons land where you want them and in formation and operate as unit from then on, firing at the same target etc. The Fire Dragons, once disembarked, are free to move off and act independently from then on.

Chaplain

I was going to post this on my own thread but may be it will serve as a comparison with the Guardian Battlehost and garner comments:

HQ
    Spiritseer – Cerberus with Wytch Staff 70
    Wraithseer – D-Cannon & Wraith Spear 215
    Warlock Covern x 3 – Witchblades 105
    ELITES
    Wraith Guard x 5 Wraith Cannon 160
    Wraith Guard x 5 D-Scythes 210
    TROOPS
    Guardian Defenders x 10 + Shuriken Cannon 140
    And Warlock with Witchblade
    Guardian Jet Bikes x 4 + 1 Shuriken Cannon 143
    and 1 Scatter Laser + Warlock with Singing Spear
    HEAVY
    Wraith Lord – Bej~Jei with Ghost Glaive, 175
    Star Cannon & Missile Launcher & 2 x Flamers
    Wraith Lord – Eu’g Gei’t with Bright Lance 170
    And Missile Launcher
    TRANSPORT
    Wave Serpent with TL Catapult & 110
    TL Shuriken Cannon

Total 1498

I was looking at something with more durability and fire power at the expense of speed. The Wave Serpent was a last minute addition with Storm Guardians or Fire Dragons being the other options. Personally I like the Falcons who for a brief moment were under rated when compared with the Serpent, but then they took laser lock away again and with it a TL Pulse Laser.

To me your list looks a little fragile and could disappear quite quickly. The original fragility of the craft, like the Hornets was offset by jinking. But now that option is not so appealing given the penalty to your own shooting if you do it. I have found a two tiered use for Warlocks of course. They add to the Warp Pool and can enhance the unit they are with, I mean a +1 to your armour save on the bikes is nothing to sniff at. With your Farseer being the only Psyker you may find him vulnerable and overworked.

I am kinda confused as to why you would recommend "Guardian Jet Bikes x 4 + 1 Shuriken Cannon 143
    and 1 Scatter Laser + Warlock with Singing Spear"

you end up with a unit that has 3 different firing ranges 36 for the scatter laser, 24 for the cannon and 12 for the rest. what role do you see them serving?