BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Initiate

Default AOS Combat Phase question regarding damage allocation.

I have picked up AOS after a long time away from WFB, and I am having trouble understanding the damage characteristic.
    I am unclear of how and when to apply it.
    Maybe the obvious is escaping me but I would appreciate if someone could expain the combat phase to me step by step.
    Thanks.

Quite simply put Damage is the amount of wounds caused by a successful hit that is NOT saved by the targeted model/unit.

Note that if an attack does multiple wounds that those are only applied to a single model. If my model has 4 attacks that cause 3 wounds each I could only ever kill 4 models. Alternatively, I could kill 1 model with 12 wounds. If my attack hit a 2 wound model, the extra damage would NOT bleed over into another model.

I hope that helps.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Nope.

If your unit has one wound apiece, and you get walloped by Damage 2 weapons, each failed save would remove two models. The rest of the damage section demonstrates this 'Most weapons have a Damage characteristic of 1, but some can inflict 2 or more wounds, allowing them to cause grievous injuries to even the mightiest foe, or to cleave through more than one opponent in a single blow

You allocate wounds to any model you choose in the attacked unit, but once you start allocating, you can pick a new model to be wounded until the first is dead.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I assume the last 'can' in Mr Mystery's reply should be 'can't'. Subject to that, he's right. Multiple wounds (applied after saves) can kill multiple models in AoS.

Yep - late night typing error!

Also, should clarify its the owning player who chooses their first casualty.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Hrmm. Didn't notice that before. I actually find this rather disappointing. I'm not a fan of an attack doing 2 wounds killing 2 models as it makes characters even more ridiculous. They seemed balanced in my first dozen outings in the game without that. It limited someone like Archaon to killing 8 models (well, 4 from him and 4 from his horse) but allowed him to take down big gribblies with relative ease. This means he could take down 16 models in a single combat phase which is absurd.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

I've been playing it your way chrono don't feel bad. In my mind I was thinking 1 hit just gave multiple chances of wound x model and that damage did not spill over. I guess because I was thinking in 40k terms with weapons that cause multiple wounds per hit.
    -insert epic signature-

Easy way to understand combat in age of sigmar

Step one pile in 3" to the closet enemy model

Step two roll to hit using the warscroll stats under hit

Step three roll to wound using the warscroll stats under to wound

Step four when the enemy rolls to save negate any rend from there save by the stat under rend exsample if they have 5+ and your weapon has -1 rend they get a 6+ save from that attack instead of a 5+.

Step five if there are any wounds that was not saved each wound would caused the amount of wounds in damage for example if each attack deals 2 damage then per wound you caused on each failed save would be equal to 2 wounds if d3 roll to see how much each wound inflicts.

When allocating wound when a model is picked all wounds till that model is dead are used on him if you have wounds left to allocate they go to the next model in the unit and follow the process again with wound allocation till that model is removed or if you have no more wounds to allocate.

Step Six your enemy now gets to choose a fight with one of his units and repeat the process again.

Hope this helps

Best way to picture damage is by the following vs 2 wound models

1 damage hits him and knocks him back maybe the armour took most of the wound.
    2 damage cleaves into a major organ or takes a limb off making him incapable of fighting and bleeds to death.
    3 damage like damage 2 but instead push's the enemy into another due to the force doing damage to the person behind him but not being fatal to kill the other person.
    Last edited by Xaric; 07-21-2015 at 08:34 AM.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Personally I like the different damage characteristics, it opens up the design space for special weapons and hulking monsters, for example as Minotaurs swing their weapons (which are larger than normal men) each swing of theirs fells three men!

Crackling magical weapons loose bursts of magic with a single swing, cleaving apart a man while the magical energy shoots off and fells another!

Many fantasy stories feature similar ideas, themes, of heroes or villains being able to fell multiple combatants with single strikes, find that the inclusion of these rules in Age of Sigmar really lends the game to its roots and allows for a very exciting game

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Easy way to understand combat in age of sigmar

Step one pile in 3" to the closet enemy model

Step two roll to hit using the warscroll stats under hit

Step three roll to wound using the warscroll stats under to wound

Step four when the enemy rolls to save negate any rend from there save by the stat under rend exsample if they have 5+ and your weapon has -1 rend they get a 6+ save from that attack instead of a 5+.

Step five if there are any wounds that was not saved each wound would caused the amount of wounds in damage for example if each attack deals 2 damage then per wound you caused on each failed save would be equal to 2 wounds if d3 roll to see how much each wound inflicts.

When allocating wound when a model is picked all wounds till that model is dead are used on him if you have wounds left to allocate they go to the next model in the unit and follow the process again with wound allocation till that model is removed or if you have no more wounds to allocate.

Step Six your enemy now gets to choose a fight with one of his units and repeat the process again.

Hope this helps

Best way to picture damage is by the following vs 2 wound models

1 damage hits him and knocks him back maybe the armour took most of the wound.
    2 damage cleaves into a major organ or takes a limb off making him incapable of fighting and bleeds to death.
    3 damage like damage 2 but instead push's the enemy into another due to the force doing damage to the person behind him but not being fatal to kill the other person.
    This! Almost exactly... Quote from rules...
    MAKING ATTACKS
    Attacks can be made one at a time, or, in
    some cases, you can roll the dice for attacks
    together.  e following attack sequence is
    used to make attacks one at a time:
    1. Hit Roll: Roll a dice. If the roll equals
    or beats the attacking weapon’s To Hit
    characteristic, then it scores a hit and you
    must make a wound roll. If not, the attack
    fails and the attack sequence ends.
    2. Wound Roll: Roll a dice. If the roll
    equals or beats the attacking weapon’s
    To Wound characteristic, then it causes
    damage and the opposing player must make
    a save roll. If not, the attack fails and the
    attack sequence ends.
    3. Save Roll:  e opposing player rolls a
    dice, modifying the roll by the attacking
    weapon’s Rend characteristic. For example,
    if a weapon has a -1 Rend characteristic,
    then 1 is subtracted from the save roll. If the
    result equals or beats the Save characteristic
    of the models in the target unit, the wound
    is saved and the attack sequence ends. If
    not, the attack is successful, and you must
    determine damage on the target unit.
    4. Determine Damage: Once all of the
    attacks made by a unit have been carried
    out, each successful attack in‘ icts a
    number of wounds equal to the Damage
    characteristic of the weapon. Most weapons
    have a Damage characteristic of 1, but some
    can in‘ ict 2 or more wounds, allowing
    them to cause grievous injuries to even the
    mightiest foe, or to cleave through more
    than one opponent with but a single blow!
    In order to make several attacks at once, all
    of the attacks must have the same To Hit, To
    Wound, Rend and Damage characteristics,
    and must be directed at the same enemy
    unit. If this is the case, make all of the hit
    rolls at the same time, then all of the wound
    rolls, and  nally all of the save rolls; then
    add up the total number of wounds caused.

Roll to hit... Roll to wound... Roll to save... Determine damage... In that order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast