BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default I asked and was answered.

So my local gw manager is loose lipped, or over-excited, and I've been asking things that the community have been asking. He's also pointed out some stuff they haven't. Bear in mind I'm paraphrasing.

1: How do we balance this?
    Why bother?
    2: What?
    Seriously, it works. The scenarios where Nagash is the "underdog" vs 10 spearmen just isn't going to happen. Because empire guy isn't just going to say "oh, he has sudden death, better stop putting out models" empire guy is going to go "huh, just Nagash eh? I'll just keep getting out models until I think I can beat him, maybe even overwhelm him."
    Then the undead player is going to pick the sudden death he thinks he has the most chance of hitting.
    Sure it'll be a tough fight for one, or both, of them. But It'll be fun.
    3. What about tournaments?
    They can sort themselves out. They're clever guys, after all they've been re-balancing 8th this whole time because they thought it wasn't balanced. So how is this any different?
    4. So what about army composition?
    Take what you like, get bonuses for taking themed stuff. Simple no?
    5. What's happening with Faction X?
    Dunno, but we've seen images of flaming slayers smashing magma dragons so I'm guessing new toys and rules....
    6. Will the new rules all be free?
    As far as I know. They'll definitely come in the box with your toys; as for coming in a warscroll compendium, I'd imagine so, but i'm not 100%.
    7. What about the lack of customisation in characters, absence of magic weapons etc?
    Make up new ones.
    8. Sorry?
    Look, there's no points right? So why can't you just make something up?
    9. Make up new ones?
    Sure. I mean it's assetting with 9 infinite planes of existence, so whatever you imagine is out there somewhere.
    I'm already making my own War scroll Compendium for Belakor's personal army from the realm of Shadows. I don't know if that's fluff accurate long term, but I love the idea so I'm doing it.
    10. But what stops someone making up a super-monster and stomping everyone?
    Social Darwinism. Seriously. How fun do you think a game against that'll be? None. And in a gaming club, or at a GW, word will soon spread and no-one will want to play you.
    11. What else is coming out?
    Dunno. Only thing I can say 100% is Stormcast with bows, because they're in the trailer. But I suspect more elemental / wind of magic themed stuff abounds, since the studio is now free to invent new species, units and whatever at a whim.
    12. How long have they been planning this?
    Remember Sigmar's Blood? (I didn't) It was a campaign book which was the prelude to End Times, so I'd hazard a guess at about 2-4 years. They plan things MASSIVELY ahead. Ages back someone came in excitedly telling me how they were adding a race of angels to 40k. Remember that rumor? (I did) I wonder if that was the first sighting. Wings, golden armour, round bases, makes sense right?
    13: Should I re-base my models?
    No need man. Don't bother unless you want to. I'm not going to for all of them, Just some.
    14: How popular is it going to be?
    Huge. I've sold more fantasy products this weekend than I made sales on my store birthday this year. And that was a big day.
    15: What about existing fantasy players?
    I hope they join in. A good chunk of my shop's regular guys already have. But those who don't want to can keep playing 8th, the I versions of all the rulebooks are still available because if we take them down then they get deleted from all apple accounts (he then went on to verbally blast apple for a while, he's not a fan for various reasons).

The conversation went on for a good while longer, we played the game too. It's good. Different but good. And I've still got every publication from 8th in physical form, so if I decide I don't want to play Age of Sigmar I don't have to.
    But looking at how quickly the local crowd are adopting it, it may be hard to get a game of 8th.........
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chaplain

I feel this isn't going to take off as well as they may have hoped. I went into my local GW about 10:20 in the morning and stuck around to about 4pm. In that time the store sold out of White Dwarfs but only had a single pre-order for the starter set. No one was buying anything because they already had the rules; unless they wanted to start playing Stormcasts there was very little incentive to purchase it. The manager was dumbstruck of how poorly his sales were for the day, 30 white dwarfs and a AOS set for a total of £147.00.

I don't know if other GW stores had the same reaction or if online sales were higher but it confirms to me that people don't seem to want this; and the ten games I played (4 from the starter and 6 as Warriors of Chaos) I don't want it either.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Rules are free.

I have a poo load of Warhammer models as is. That VC Batallion that's been gathering dust is now a new army for me.

Didn't much fancy the boxed set, so bought Codex Dark Eldar instead.

It's the free rules that are the unknown factor here. I had £75 squirrelled away for the release, but didn't need to buy it to get the rules.

And if you're local store only took £147 on a Saturday, I'd say that the new release isn't exactly the problem with that picture.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

Nah Mr Mystery this was out of the ordinary; I'm pretty good friends with the store manager, He will speak his mind when he doesn't have to put on a show for customers he doesn't recognise as regulars. This was very much unprecedented; everyone in the store (30 or so people, they were standing outside the store) were really excited to test the game out with some fantasy players even bringing their own stuff to play but no one was interested in buying the box set. and the intake quote was only on Age of Sigmar releases, there were still sales for space marines and ad mech.

EDIT: and as you said you have all the models you need already and this starter set, unlike every other starter in the last decade or so has a brand new army. So unless you want to start Stormcasts, this box set is only tempting to chaos players who want Khorne models.
    Last edited by The Madman; 07-05-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

I have to ask the question, if the answer to every rules question is essentially, "Make up whatever you want", why even bother with rules to begin with?

I have no problem with creating my own rules and "making the game whatever I want" but I'm not so certain that GW would agree if I make up my own rules and disseminate them for free on the internet. They've sent cease and desist letters for far less.

I've tried AoS (played 6 games so far). It's okay for a quick one-off game but it doesn't cover any of the reasons that drew me to Fantasy in the first place.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Kind of my point.

Every copy of WD also had printed copies of the rules in the middle.

This is really out of the ordinary. Before, sales would be strong because people wanted the rule book. Take that away and you're not going to sell anywhere near as many, particularly when this time I didn't even have to leave my bed, let alone my flat to get the rules there and then.

This game has promise. It's not 9th Edition, but it seems really good fun all the same.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

A ton of people bought the WD in my area, but basically all of them I've talked to have been 'wtf is this crap?' regarding the rules.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    1: How do we balance this?
    Why bother?
    2: What?
    Seriously, it works. The scenarios where Nagash is the "underdog" vs 10 spearmen just isn't going to happen. Because empire guy isn't just going to say "oh, he has sudden death, better stop putting out models" empire guy is going to go "huh, just Nagash eh? I'll just keep getting out models until I think I can beat him, maybe even overwhelm him."
    Then the undead player is going to pick the sudden death he thinks he has the most chance of hitting.
    Sure it'll be a tough fight for one, or both, of them. But It'll be fun.
    3. What about tournaments?
    They can sort themselves out. They're clever guys, after all they've been re-balancing 8th this whole time because they thought it wasn't balanced. So how is this any different?
    4. So what about army composition?
    Take what you like, get bonuses for taking themed stuff. Simple no?
    5. What's happening with Faction X?
    Dunno, but we've seen images of flaming slayers smashing magma dragons so I'm guessing new toys and rules....
    6. Will the new rules all be free?
    As far as I know. They'll definitely come in the box with your toys; as for coming in a warscroll compendium, I'd imagine so, but i'm not 100%.
    7. What about the lack of customisation in characters, absence of magic weapons etc?
    Make up new ones.
    8. Sorry?
    Look, there's no points right? So why can't you just make something up?
    9. Make up new ones?
    Sure. I mean it's assetting with 9 infinite planes of existence, so whatever you imagine is out there somewhere.
    I'm already making my own War scroll Compendium for Belakor's personal army from the realm of Shadows. I don't know if that's fluff accurate long term, but I love the idea so I'm doing it.
    10. But what stops someone making up a super-monster and stomping everyone?
    Social Darwinism. Seriously. How fun do you think a game against that'll be? None. And in a gaming club, or at a GW, word will soon spread and no-one will want to play you.
    11. What else is coming out?
    Dunno. Only thing I can say 100% is Stormcast with bows, because they're in the trailer. But I suspect more elemental / wind of magic themed stuff abounds, since the studio is now free to invent new species, units and whatever at a whim.
    12. How long have they been planning this?
    Remember Sigmar's Blood? (I didn't) It was a campaign book which was the prelude to End Times, so I'd hazard a guess at about 2-4 years. They plan things MASSIVELY ahead. Ages back someone came in excitedly telling me how they were adding a race of angels to 40k. Remember that rumor? (I did) I wonder if that was the first sighting. Wings, golden armour, round bases, makes sense right?
    13: Should I re-base my models?
    No need man. Don't bother unless you want to. I'm not going to for all of them, Just some.
    14: How popular is it going to be?
    Huge. I've sold more fantasy products this weekend than I made sales on my store birthday this year. And that was a big day.
    15: What about existing fantasy players?
    I hope they join in. A good chunk of my shop's regular guys already have. But those who don't want to can keep playing 8th, the I versions of all the rulebooks are still available because if we take them down then they get deleted from all apple accounts (he then went on to verbally blast apple for a while, he's not a fan for various reasons).
    Hm... intriguing perspective. I don't know if I agree, but I'm eager to try it out.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Interesting point of view from the manager, though I feel this might just be a honeymoon phase for the game. I'm super curious to see if this game will take off or not. If I were a gambling man I would say probably not, but I've been around long enough to know how little I actually know .

It's got a lot of the things that the interweb would tell us is what would shift units....

1. Free rules
    2. Works with much smaller forces
    3. No more manoeuvring rules (which I'll miss, personally)
    4. Moved the story along

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast