BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I was actually expecting a full aesthetic change so this isn't a big surprise. In some way it lets everyone put a big explanation point on WFB as the models will follow the game into unsupported oblivion. I'm really not sure what they will have to do to turn a generic fantasy Ork into an IP protected Orruk. If they can't do it, the coat tail companies will just continue to follow them about with similar models.
    There's no way to make their stuff so unique that no one else could produce similar models. It'd have to look unrecognizable. GW did their own style of Orcs and Orks. Now you can get that same style from multiple companies. Will it really change with "Orruks?" Heck no.

Also, I'm not sure other companies should be called "coat tail companies," unless we can also call GW something similar, because GW got its start by making stuff for other people's games.

Chapter-Master

looking at the vampire counts I can't see any kind of instability rule to lose extra wounds for lost combat, and they have a bravery of ten, so unlikely to lose models that way. is there a rule somewhere I am missing or have they suddenly become ridiculously nasty?
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Has anyone ever knocked off Skaven? they seem to be a safe bet to change very little.
    Straight-up Skaven Warlord here (and a pretty darned good one):

[url]http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&prodcode =41&prodname=Vermin+Clan+Lord+(kit)&id=118&Itemid= 143[/url]

So, yeah, I would expect them to change.

Definitely Vampire Counts, all of the Elves, etc. That stuff's too close to regular fantasy tropes. Personally, I like them being recognizable, but of course you can't try to copyright that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm hoping the model scale doesn't creep up to something like 35mm with this game.
    If it doesn't, the starter models will look out of place. The "basic humans" on the Chaos side are taller than Space Marines. If you get a chance, put them side-by-side. It's rather surprising to see regular Joes being bigger than power armored super soldiers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    looking at the vampire counts I can't see any kind of instability rule to lose extra wounds for lost combat, and they have a bravery of ten, so unlikely to lose models that way. is there a rule somewhere I am missing or have they suddenly become ridiculously nasty?
    I think they make up for it by not being as skilled in combat. Zombies and Skeletons won't really scare anyone in combat, and you can't tie up anyone with them.

I do wonder just how much the aesthetic would shift.

Fantasy is Fantasy after all, and a Stunty a Stunty (and remember, the only thing better than a dead Stunty is a dying Stunty who tells you where to find his mates).

Blokes in large suits of golden armour? No easier to copyright than Marines etc.

Orcs got a significant rejigging about 17, 18 years ago when the current look came in. Significantly bulkier than their predecessors, and much more ape like in their build.

We might see some shift, but I really don't expect it to be particularly 'left field'.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

well skeletons with swords are hitting and wounding on a 4+, much the same as anyone else. and +1 to hit within 18" of a hero, and extra attacks for large units.
    Last edited by Kirsten; 07-07-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Zombies are now rubbish in a fight, and Undead largely lack a save of any note.

But other than that, they are a sod to get rid of.

Though Ogres are well 'ard now. Multiple attacks is always fun, decent to wound is ace, and then at least damage 2....tasty!

That's one of the things my brain still hasn't quite absorbed....damage is done to the unit, not the individual. So if I deal three unsaved hits with my Ogres, opponent takes 6 points of damage. I likes this!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

I wouldn't look too much into the make do warscrolls all the indications are they are going to change when the new factions are released. The way the rules work especially when you consider the keyword mechanic they may well add faction wide rules. From what we've seen so far there's massive scope for unit and possibly faction rules which will alter how they play quite dramatically. After all we have only seen the Warsrcolls for the starter set as far as actual AoS stuff goes.

I'm still loving where this is going really taking me back to my first forays into wargaming when they released Rogue Trader and things were evolving and adapting to what worked best.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Yup.

Points seem to have gone the way of the Dodo, but that doesn't mean their won't be other composition factors to consider.

What we have now is a removal of barriers to get everyone playing. Got a dusty box of the old monopose Chaos Warriors? Get them based and get battling. Found some random toot at a jumble sale, pre-slotta? Get them battling.

It's a very, very bold move.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Zombies are now rubbish in a fight, and Undead largely lack a save of any note.
    zombies have always been rubbish. they have changed quite a lot really edition to edition with regard how they are actually rubbish. it used to be that the whole unit died if they lost, then they had bad strength and toughness, bad weapon skill...

low saves, but can be summoned easily.

Actually, having re-read, Zombies can be quite nasty. Ish.

Got a unit of 30? That's a 3+ to hit. Still a 6+ to wound like, but who doesn't enjoy a horde of gnashing Zombies? Just hope they get redone soon. They were gash when they came out, and they're still gash

Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast