BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Mad Doc Grotsnik - Good or Bad?

I've never played with him as one of my HQ choices ... what's the general consensus about him? Off the cuff, the ability to make mega-nobs with invul saves and embed Doc in a group now-fearless Nobs seems good ... but i never see him discussed in lists, etc. what gives?

Battle-Brother

I've noticed and wondered about this also. The only thing I can see is the special rule he has "One scalpel short of a medpack". This makes him and the unit he is with in a sense uncontrollable since they have to move and assault the closest enemy unit. A good opponent can take and basically control a portion of your army, possibly using it to disadvantage you. Not sure if this is the right answer, but it's my best edjumcated guess .

Chapter-Master

He is good.

Try him out!
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

True he has to charge the closest enemy but it also makes his unit Fearless. Throw him with a cheap mob of boyz and you got yourself, if anything, a good distraction mob. Plus you can give a whole other unit in ur army 5+ invul. saves. The 5-points for each guy to get it is a bit pricey and pretty much giving up an HQ slot to do it seems steep but hell, some of the best 40k combo's you won't realize are good till you try it.

Chapter-Master

One of our ork players once took him in a green tide apoc formation, resulting in a 100+ ork squad, all with 5+ invulnerables and such. At least, I think it was mad doc. I remember we checked the rules to make sure it worked, but this was also 3 years ago, so I don't remember the details...
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

He's the man in so many ways! I say do it!
    letsagetabitarockin!

Scout

Unfortunately, based on experience good 'ol Mad Dok Grotsnik is not worth it.

By grantingg FNP you want to put him with a good combat unit, such as Burna Boyz, Nobz or Meganobz. However, the lack of control factor means you'll be hoofing it after a Land Speeder for half the game since you're forced to charge the closest target.

Or Monolith, if you're playing Necrons.

In an Apocalypse battle I did stick him with a unit of Grots just so they would die off and he'd go self destruct on his own that much sooner.

The 5+ saves are good, but the drawback of no control mean he just sucks (and the unit he's stuck with) in 2000 points or less.

Librarian

However cant he be put into a vehicle so you still control him (after a fashion?)

also, If memory serves he only has to charge the nearest target, why not move him 6" the opposite way during the turn and then if he tries to charge and cant make it, he moves nowhere?
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Veteran-Sergeant

new ork faq:

Q. Can Grotsnik board a vehicle if doing so will
    get him closer to the nearest enemy than if he
    moved normally?
    A. In the spirit of the rule, if embarking in a
    vehicle will not prevent him from charging that
    turn and will also get him closer to the nearest
    enemy than moving normally that turn, he may
    do that. Once aboard, the vehicle must always
    move in such a way as to move as fast as possible
    towards the closest enemy and allow Grotsnik to
    disembark and charge the closest enemy as soon
    as possible

i would charge headlong with him and MANz in a battlewagon + deffrolla straight at the enemy anyways just to intimidate

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    new ork faq:

Q. Can Grotsnik board a vehicle if doing so will
    get him closer to the nearest enemy than if he
    moved normally?
    A. In the spirit of the rule, if embarking in a
    vehicle will not prevent him from charging that
    turn and will also get him closer to the nearest
    enemy than moving normally that turn, he may
    do that. Once aboard, the vehicle must always
    move in such a way as to move as fast as possible
    towards the closest enemy and allow Grotsnik to
    disembark and charge the closest enemy as soon
    as possible

i would charge headlong with him and MANz in a battlewagon + deffrolla straight at the enemy anyways just to intimidate
    Wow...

ORks R Broken....

A Battlewagon with a 5++, FNP, Fearleas and a Deff Rolla!?!?!?!?

Stop the presses! Time for BoLs to play test this immediately and write 6 articles on the same thing!!!!

- hides behind a rock-
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast