BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Oldhammer In Moria - A Party Of Special Magnificence

For full post:
    [url]http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/05/oldhammer-80s-citadel-middle-earth.html[/url]

Lots of 80's metal goodies today! I just finished painting up 3 groups of dwarfs from these ranges: Citadel Lord of the Rings dwarves, Citadel dwarf fighters/adventurers, and Marauder Slayers. I really enjoyed painting these retro stunties.

I use this site to find out what Im looking/hunting for:
    [url]http://solegends.com/citadel/index.htm[/url]
    Its probably best to go through the catalogues by year here:
    [url]http://solegends.com/citadel/catindex.htm[/url]

And boy, I gotta tell ya, there are a lot more Oldhammer miniatures than I remember. Add in the fact that Im also collecting newer companies that have that retro feel. Meaning...? This blog will be around for quite a while. There will be dwarves a-plenty around every corner to rustle up, paint, and send into the Moria Reclamation Project! Sigh, and then at some point, theres a whole mineful of Orcs to get to...

Onwards to pics and descriptions...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0996.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	369.3 KB 
ID:	14226
    First off, we have Gimli and some old school Middle Earth dwarves

Name:	IMG_0997.JPG 
Views:	320 
Size:	412.8 KB 
ID:	14227
    I really like this Gimli, much more than the modern movie version. He just seems... stalwart? Is it just a case of rose colored glasses? Then again, I am biased, as I used to have this fella back in the actual 80s.

Name:	IMG_0998.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	14228
    This figure is supposed to be armored Gimli and has a mounted version in the blister (which I dont have). But instead, I am going to use him as Gloin, Gimli's dad. So father and son are now in Moria searching for their cousin Balin. And just you wait til you see my Chamber of Mazarbul coming up! Will my version of Moria have Balin, Lord of Moria deceased? Or is he yet somewhere deep below fortifying crumbling chambers against hordes of greenskins! Ah, Im getting ahead of my narrative. That is still several posts away. ;p

Name:	IMG_1000.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	422.3 KB 
ID:	14229
    And here are 5 Marauder Slayers, In my opinion, much better than the 90's versions. And far superior to the 00's. The regimented look of modern Warhammer figures just feels so cold.

Name:	IMG_1001.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	14230
    I debated giving them the bright orange dyed hair and flip flopped, several times. In the end, orange hair screams dwarf slayer to me. I did give them the celtic striped pants and blue face paint as well.

Name:	IMG_1002.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	373.4 KB 
ID:	14231
    Look at how characterful these guys are! Each sculpt is an individual, not like modern sculpts.

Name:	IMG_1004.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	378.0 KB 
ID:	14232
    Im calling the Dwarf wizard - Nindalf. Yup, the only apprentice to Gandalf the grey, he also got a Palantir Seeing-Stone as well. I didnt photograph this too well, but the crystal ball has a numeral 8 on it... Magic 8 Ball! Will I ever finish this Moria Project? "Dont count on it" Hmm, thats a little ominous, isnt it?

Name:	IMG_1012.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	14233
    And finally a comparison shot (from L to R): Citadel Gimli, Alternative Armies, Reaper, Ratnik

For full post:
    [url]http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/05/oldhammer-80s-citadel-middle-earth.html[/url]
    Last edited by mars-minis; 05-30-2015 at 05:20 PM.
    http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/

First-Captain

hmmm, I saw this on Google+ earlier, nice work.... But please consolidate your posts into one thread, it will be eaiser for people to read your progress then!
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

I am also a fan of the older dwarf art style. I have collected a few of the newer models but for the most part I dislike the direction they went. I look at the models of Bugman and his rangers and then can't like the new models. Same for the old thunderers and crossbow dwarves. I do however prefer the new Anvil of Doom, even though it no longer is fielded... Keep up the good work

Default Oldhammer In Moria - A Party Of Special Magnificence

From full post: [url]http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/05/oldhammer-in-moria-party-of-special.html[/url]

Thus, did Bugman's Beer Cart make its way past Warg infested forests and Troll haunted hills. Until the day came, when at last on a warm summer afternoon, the Cart and its defenders entered the legendary gates of Moria to the cheer of thirsty dwarves! Hello readers! In this post, we have partying dwarves from Citadel, Bob Olley, Stone Haven. Also, King Kazador and his personal House Guard. Lastly, we focus on some fluff with the 6 major leaders of the dwarves that currently inhabit my Moria Reclamation Project.

Name:	IMG_1013.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	336.7 KB 
ID:	14385
    Unloading the Beer Cart for the party. Or is it "refilling our empty kegs from the Beer Cart?" There must be some enchantment or Rune of Holding on that Cart Keg. That must be it! The Cart Keg has magical properties that allows beer to enter a pocket dimension that is larger than it seems from the outside. That Bugman is a smart fellow, instead of sending out a hundred barrel wagons, he sends one magical one. Ok, in the pic above, on the far left we have a fur hat wearing dwarf from Armorcast's Bob Olley Dwarf World, which I must warn anyone buying... is a large sized line of dwarves. I actually cut off his feet to make him fit in with the rest of my stunties. Next to him is a bald dwarf Brewmaster from Stonehaven Minis. Then a drunk dwarf from Citadel and beside him, a keg carrying dwarf who is actually a cannon crew loader (or perhaps an organ gun). At any rate he has now been requisitioned for beer duty instead.

Name:	IMG_1014.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	14386
    Ah, the Dwarf Barmaid is bringing drinks around. Someone yells "Mhinz Abeir", and everyone else yells "Zyor Rond". The barmaid is another large Armorcast dwarf who has had foot surgery to mix in nicely with everyone else. I believe the fellow flagging her down for a drink is another artillery crew member, perhaps the Marauder siege gun?

Name:	IMG_1016.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	14388
    Ahh, look its the woodcutter, the engineer, the young Blacksmith-tress, a happy cheering dwarf, stuntie on stilts (handy for when a dwarf needs that jar on the top cupboard), and the rat-catcher (another very important dwarf to be in Moria, wouldnt want the colony to be knee deep in vermin, would we?) The lady blacksmith is from Stonehaven, woodcutter from Armorcast, the rest are Citadel.

Name:	IMG_1017.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	14390
    Late to the party, is the woodcutters assistant, and the dwarven Ninja. Doesnt every self respecting dwarf colony have one? Ninja stars and smoke bombs, helpful in a tight spot.

Name:	IMG_1018.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	369.7 KB 
ID:	14389
    Cheery dwarf: "Barmaid, service please!"

Name:	IMG_1019.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	390.6 KB 
ID:	14391
    The dwarves lead the Cart deeper into the Mines towards the "safe zone" where the bulk of the colony reside.

Name:	IMG_1022.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	14392
    All this time, the party-goers have been protected by the watchful eye of the Gold-Shields...
    King Kazador and his House Guard! I have modified him to carry a shield and done away with his horn. I think he looks far more business now. Definitely ready to start hammering some greenskins!

Name:	IMG_1023.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	313.2 KB 
ID:	14393
    His companions are of the most dangerous sort.

Name:	IMG_1025.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	14394
    While the dwarves have their party below, above them on a ledge, it actually is time for business... a gathering of the clan elders! From left to right: King Kazador, Gimli, Prince Ulther, Prince Helfast, Chief Ratnik, and Baron Hawk.

For full post [url]http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/05/oldhammer-in-moria-party-of-special.html[/url]

Cheers,

Mar

- - - Updated - - -

Darren,
    I dont know how to consolidate the other posts into this thread. But I will be posting future ones into this one. Thanks for the advise. Although, no matter what I post, the title will always read "80's Citadel Middle Earth, Dwarf Fighters, & Slayers". That bothers my OCD nature. Perhaps there is a way, that I have yet to discover? Lead Adventure forum has that option, which is why I prefer to post there.

- - - Updated - - -

Brother Sutek,
    Thanks, and yes, I actually do like the new Anvil as well. Anvils should not be on wheels, ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	14387  
    Last edited by mars-minis; 05-30-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/