BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Way I see it, I need to declare the targets for each weapon system from those eligible.

So that wouldn't include a currently embarked unit.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Where does it say to do that, though? That is the question that has never been answered.

The Super-Heavy rules do not state "instead of choosing one target to shoot at, they may select multiple", it simply states, "...it may fire each of its weapons at different targets if desired."

Weapons can be fired at different times so is it allowed to change targets after resolving it? When firing two of the same weapon, are both resolved "at the same time"?

Simply put, there is no mechanic addressed for how Super-Heavies interact with the current Shooting Sequence with multiple targets. As I said to Houghten, it is a reasonable assumption that it is how you say, but it still remains an assumption.
    yes, weapons are fired at different times, but the TARGETS are declared at the same time before any weapon has fired.

pg 30 general shooting rules. the only exemption superheavies have is that they can fire at different units (so step 2)

target declaration and weapons shooting are two distinct steps.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Way I see it, I need to declare the targets for each weapon system from those eligible.

So that wouldn't include a currently embarked unit.
    Seems legit.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I'll allow it.
    Well, see, that's the thing... we allow it too. BUT it's a house rule, as long as the vehicle still has weapons to shoot, and it was the unit that was in the targeted vehicle ONLY.
    But again, a house rule.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    yes, weapons are fired at different times, but the TARGETS are declared at the same time before any weapon has fired.
    Incorrect. A Single Target is declared before any weapon is fired, not targetS. You are adding words to the rules.

pg 30 general shooting rules. the only exemption superheavies have is that they can fire at different units (so step 2)

target declaration and weapons shooting are two distinct steps.
    Super-Heavies do not specifically state how this difference is handled, though. You are assuming that it replaces "select a single target" with "select multiple targets" but without specific direction or instruction.

As I said before, it is a reasonable assumption, but just because it is reasonable does not change the fact that it IS an assumption.

The problem is, you're assuming too (and I'm not even willing to say yours is "reasonable"). And we can argue back and forth about it until we're blue in the fingers, but I think it's fairly clear at this point that both sides are just as pig-headedly entrenched.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

given that the ONLY exception to the general rules for shooting in super heavies is that word multiple.

With as you say no OTHER information added.

I wouldn't call it an assumption I'd call it actually following what the rules say given how they deal with specific and general

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    The problem is, you're assuming too (and I'm not even willing to say yours is "reasonable"). And we can argue back and forth about it until we're blue in the fingers, but I think it's fairly clear at this point that both sides are just as pig-headedly entrenched.
    I dont think charistoph is being pig headed.

I think hes just pointing out how badly the wording is (Hey GW standard what can we do)

I[d even hazard that he probably agrees with the rest of us on how it would be played in almost every case
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Yeah, its a point that needs clarifying, I can see both arguments for the issue. But it's only a game, just do whatever seems more sensible to you and your opponent at the time until its cleared up.

Banned

given that the ONLY exception to the general rules for shooting in super heavies is that word multiple.

With as you say no OTHER information added.

I wouldn't call it an assumption I'd call it actually following what the rules say given how they deal with specific and general
    And Specific and General have no rule-bearings in the game. It goes Basic > Advanced > Codex Advanced, but that is a sidetrack.

Still, the only rule which has a fully defined mechanic adjustment for shooting at multiple targets with a unit is Split Fire. Super-Heavy is not defined (interestingly enough, neither is Power of the Machine Spirit), which means that any interpretation is only an assumption and how a player wishes to play it.

I dont think charistoph is being pig headed.

I think hes just pointing out how badly the wording is (Hey GW standard what can we do)

I'd even hazard that he probably agrees with the rest of us on how it would be played in almost every case
    That is correct. That is why I called it a "reasonable" assumption. It cuts down the muss and fuss with a minimum of issue and avoids sticky issues. But that doesn't change the fact of what it is, an assumption, and therefore not but a House Rule.

I would even go so far as address it thusly:
    "The rules for Super-Heavy shooting do not state when the multiple targets should be announced, but for sportsmanship reasons, one should declare all targets before shooting."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12