BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Gearing up for Warhammer Fantasy 1st Edition! Oldhammer lives!

Oldhammer First Edition Box Set has Arrived!
    [URL="http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/04/oldhammer-first-edition-box-set-has.html"]http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/04/oldhammer-first-edition-box-set-has.html[/URL]

WHFB is dead, long live WHFB!

With 9th Edition rapidly approaching, I have decided to travel back in time to the start of it all. My blog is now an Oldhammer blog.
    I have finally acquired a nice copy of the original white box Warhammer fantasy battle 1st edition.
    1st edition, where rpg and miniatures rules were not separate. It says so, right on the cover... "Mass Combat Fantasy Role Playing Game"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0709.JPG 
Views:	416 
Size:	421.0 KB 
ID:	13806

So, now I will be hunting for Marauder and Citadel miniatures, for Ral Partha, Grenadier, and Heritage as well.
    My Dwarven Lost Kingdom Reclamation Project will now be powered by Oldhammer. For details about it, see my blog.

Cheers,
    Mar
    http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/

If GW was smart they would re-release the older rules as limited time runs. I know a few people that would buy them all, 40k and fantasy.

One book per edition rules, and maybe a 2nd Big book with all Army rules that where used in the edition at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron LeClair View Post
    If GW was smart
    ????

Lol...

If you're going to play 1st Ed, shouldn't you play one of the cool armies like Nippon or Cathay, or Fimir.

Or Zoats, for that matter

Chris*ta,

Im guessing you are thinking about 2nd edition. 1st edition doesnt have any of those. In fact, in the base set, there really arent any army lists, it really looks like a DM'ed scenario driven game

There is an entry for "Men of the Orient" in teh Forces of Fantasy expansion, but no specific mention of Nippon or Cathay. No Zoats either...
    I also like the fact there is no Empire yet. Just "Men of the West" for generic feudals, and "Men of the North" for vikings.
    There is Slann already, and strangely, they are a completely separate list from Lizardmen. Also, there is an entry for Menfish... D&D equivalent of Kuo-toa, or Sahuagin maybe?

Well. That joke fell flat

I'm probably recalling a second-hand memory regarding Nippon and Cathay, but I do know they had official lists once upon a time. It's kind of sad they never got real lists and mini ranges. Then again, I've always wanted the Dogs of War list to be extended into a full Tilea list, soooo ...

My knowledge of Fimir and Zoats comes from the decks of cards that GW released, (I can't think of the name off the tp of my head) where each card had a picture of a miniature and stats that were similar -- but slightly different -- to the stats from WFB. While Fimirs sort of hung around for ages, (and FW have miniatures for them now) the Zoats retreated to 40K, and then sunk without trace, quite quickly

Chapter-Master

I have a lot of the old WFB models from Marauder and Citadel. Some of them actually hold up really well even today!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron LeClair View Post
    If GW was smart they would re-release the older rules as limited time runs. I know a few people that would buy them all, 40k and fantasy.

One book per edition rules, and maybe a 2nd Big book with all Army rules that where used in the edition at the time.
    I would absolutely pick up some of the old sets/books I missed over the years. When I feel nostalgic I pull out the old Realm of Chaos Hardbacks and browse them for inspiration!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    Well. That joke fell flat

I'm probably recalling a second-hand memory regarding Nippon and Cathay, but I do know they had official lists once upon a time. It's kind of sad they never got real lists and mini ranges. Then again, I've always wanted the Dogs of War list to be extended into a full Tilea list, soooo ...

My knowledge of Fimir and Zoats comes from the decks of cards that GW released, (I can't think of the name off the tp of my head) where each card had a picture of a miniature and stats that were similar -- but slightly different -- to the stats from WFB. While Fimirs sort of hung around for ages, (and FW have miniatures for them now) the Zoats retreated to 40K, and then sunk without trace, quite quickly
    Yeah, it was the 2nd edition Warhammer game that had lists for Nippon and Cathay...and a Dwarves vs. Slann minigame set in Lustria called "The Magnificent Sven."

Hmm, Ive just finished my first reading of the rules. I could be wrong, but I dont think there are any rank bonuses. Winning a combat is by counting casualties and if you win and have a 2nd rank, you can flank up to 4 of those figures on the enemy unit for next turns combat. If the losing unit has a 2nd rank it can avoid this flanking by moving its own 2nd rank figures to face them. Thats pretty fiddly, but ok. So, the only reason to have a 2nd rank is to avoid or cause a flank penalty in a second round of combat, but more than that I cant see why it would be needed.

TLDR, 3 ranks or more in 1st edition seems useless.