BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 57 of 101 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Make Banshees able to do their job and I bet we'll find a way to get them there.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Wraithcannon SD......still only a 12" range....

I'll just outside your range, then risk a charge and the resultant overwatch (Mr Brain says he's not sure, but Wraithguard need a Seer with them to overwatch anyways?)
    A 12" range doesn't matter when they can take Wave Serpents.
    Wraithguard can freely Overwatch, you are probably thinking of Thousand Sons.
    You had better hope those Wraithguard you charge aren't equipped with D-Scythes.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Will just shoot them in that case.

Point I'm making, is that whilst very, very tasty, they still have fairly severe drawbacks, especially given their expense points wise (even going on current points, and assuming they don't go up).
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Will just shoot them in that case.

Point I'm making, is that whilst very, very tasty, they still have fairly severe drawbacks, especially given their expense points wise (even going on current points, and assuming they don't go up).
    I'm going to guess that, if their statline stays the same, they go up close to 50ppm. This will effectively open up fire dragons as a viable "low cost" alternative to WG for anti-tank activities. Sure they're not as good but they're still deadly to most armored units and will be half the cost.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    I don't know Erik

Every 40k escalation league I've played in has been a resounding success and in fact, was more popular at the lower points levels than when it got to 1750-2000 pts.
    Sadly, Erik only considers his own group, and doesn't appear to listen to others saying 'dude, you just have a bad group'. Look at the whinging thread.

Nothing personal meant Erik, just an observation. Whether or not your local crowd dig escalation has nothing to do with the games capability of providing such.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

We're back to being a hard hitting, highly elite army it would seem.

Sadly, Erik only considers his own group, and doesn't appear to listen to others saying 'dude, you just have a bad group'. Look at the whinging thread.

Nothing personal meant Erik, just an observation. Whether or not your local crowd dig escalation has nothing to do with the games capability of providing such.
    The fact that GW used to make rules for smaller games before they made them even less viable shows that the company itself knows small size games aren't really doable with the basic rules. They even sell a set of rules for small scale games... but as it's digital and separate from the rules people already pay $85 for, it's often ignored.

Since GW is always right and we must trust them, that means that 40K is definitively NOT designed to be useful in small-scale games.

And it's not. It just isn't. You can use anecdotal evidence yourself, but the game can be broken so easily at small scales. You have to create a number of house rules and restrictions... which means you aren't playing just the game's core rules. And a lot of people don't do house rules.

Nor is the Decurion, Blood Host, or whatever the Eldar equivalent is called aimed at smaller games. They're aimed at 3000 points and up. And given that GW's stopped producing basic detachments and is doing more of this style, pushing people to build large forces with access to multiple super-heavies, they are indeed pushing larger and larger games.

So my core point remains the same. WFB ran into trouble because its cost to play standard games got too high, and 40K is running the size - and cost - up further and further, following suit.

But hey, 8th edition next year might fix some of that, for the cost of just $100 for having some extra rules, totally a bargain.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    We're back to being a hard hitting, highly elite army it would seem.
    I love the WD article about how they throw the Wraithknight up against a bunch of other different big baddies, and how it totally wastes them, and this is supposed to be a good thing. The only thing it struggled against a little was the Imperial Knight.

It's like, c'mon GW, that's not a sign of a good thing, that's a sign of an OVERPOWERED thing.

Now, getting everyone all up in a rut about ranged D weapons across, potentially like five different units in the Codex? Uuuuugh.

Though, I'm trying to remain optimistic. Losing Laser Lock on the Scatterlasers should help reduce the potency of those Wave Serpents, and if the Wraithknight and anything else that gets access to D weapons gets jacked way up in points, then it's not like those weapons will be rampant.

Also, having to take a Vyper, and a bunch of other set things before you can take anything else in that big formation (which I have a feeling has other limits that we haven't seen yet) will also help keep the army from steamrolling.

Also, who is going to take the 3 Crimson Hunter formation...?

Are Wraithknights not still fairly easy to knack though? To get the Invulnerable save, they would lose SD, leaving them relatively easy prey for lascannon and missile launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    I love the WD article about how they throw the Wraithknight up against a bunch of other different big baddies, and how it totally wastes them, and this is supposed to be a good thing. The only thing it struggled against a little was the Imperial Knight.

It's like, c'mon GW, that's not a sign of a good thing, that's a sign of an OVERPOWERED thing.
    Regarding the battle "reports", a couple of points to consider:
    1) What were the relative point costs of the units?
    2)The opponents appeared to have been chosen for a battle of the titans cage match ( rule of cool). How many Lascannon could IG field for the points? Or how about Gargoyles with poison? DE warriors? How would those work out? These were isolated one on one fights, not part of an army, so not too representative of a actual battle.
    3) So far I have seen little indication of how the battles were set up; terrain? Board size? It seems most of the battles were set up for melee fights, which favor a melee configured WK
    4) How many of each battle were run, before they got the one they reported? How many results were just great dice?
    5) WD battle reports always hype up the new unit/Army, so should be taken with a grain of salt
    Last edited by Lord Mayhem; 04-15-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Page 57 of 101 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast