BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Where in the 40K galaxy, could the Warhammer World be?

I started another thread, about the possibility of a FB/40K crossover caused by this end times. That is in terms of fluff and rules.

Now people have stated that the warhammer world is a planet somewhere in the 40K galaxy and that that fact has been mentioned in fluff - I have never seen that.

But, one person posted an interesting comment.

Slaanesh is about.

So that must mean on a time line, either the 2 universes are completely different, or, the Warhammer World is doing its thang well after the fall of the eldar.

So the question for me is:

Whereabouts in the 40K galaxy could the warhammer world be?

Personally I think the Eye of Terror is too easy - but this needs to be somewhere that was close enough to exodite worlds, squat homeworlds and an ork incursion, to allow ships of those races at a low tech level, to get there (bearing in mind there is absolutely no examples of higher tech - there are black powder level planets in the Imperium but the governor and mebbe the odd arbites will have higher tech in reserve just in case.)
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I started another thread, about the possibility of a FB/40K crossover caused by this end times. That is in terms of fluff and rules.

Now people have stated that the warhammer world is a planet somewhere in the 40K galaxy and that that fact has been mentioned in fluff - I have never seen that.

But, one person posted an interesting comment.

Slaanesh is about.

So that must mean on a time line, either the 2 universes are completely different, or, the Warhammer World is doing its thang well after the fall of the eldar.

So the question for me is:

Whereabouts in the 40K galaxy could the warhammer world be?

Personally I think the Eye of Terror is too easy - but this needs to be somewhere that was close enough to exodite worlds, squat homeworlds and an ork incursion, to allow ships of those races at a low tech level, to get there (bearing in mind there is absolutely no examples of higher tech - there are black powder level planets in the Imperium but the governor and mebbe the odd arbites will have higher tech in reserve just in case.)
    No need for them to be Squats and Eldar, as the One Ones, who made the Eldar and Orcs, were on the planet, its possible they made new races, Dwarves, Elves and Orcs when they got to the Old World, or made them on the warhammer world first as an experiment before creating the races in the wider galaxy.

Also, the Warhammer world does have examples of higher technology, just that they don't understand it enough to be able to diffenetiate it from magic, there are stories of Chaos warriors with what are described very much like Chainswords and Bolt pistols.

I'm not sure we can justify Orcs as being the same as Orks.

With Orks, the entire ecosystem can generate from one body shedding spores - whether that body is an Ork or a Grot or whatever else, you wind up with Orks (including Meks and Doks) and Grots and Snots and Squigs and Squiggoths.

Orcs, meanwhile, appear to be separate-but-similar to Goblins as whole tribes of Goblins can exist without an Orc, at least until one wanders past and conquers them. Likewise squigs (also: total lack of squiggoths), and there are no Meks or Doks at all. Even Feral Orks can make cyboars (or Steam Gargants, if the Pigdoks are feeling particularly inspired).

First-Captain

Which is why its more likely to be the tinkering of the Old Ones, perhaps their first attempt at making the Krork was the Crorc!

Chapter-Master

Pathwalker - if you go on identical looks, physiology, and game profile (trying not to blur RL and fluff but they act the same and would do so on the battlefield) - then I would think there is a direct link between elves/elder, squats/dwarves, orks/orcs etc rather than the coincidence of someone creating a set of creatures that look identical, perform identically to their totally separate dopplegangers.

However it is a weird universe out there.

So answering the OT questions, are you saying anywhere?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Pathwalker - if you go on identical looks, physiology, and game profile (trying not to blur RL and fluff but they act the same and would do so on the battlefield) - then I would think there is a direct link between elves/elder, squats/dwarves, orks/orcs etc rather than the coincidence of someone creating a set of creatures that look identical, perform identically to their totally separate dopplegangers.

However it is a weird universe out there.

So answering the OT questions, are you saying anywhere?
    Well, the Old Ones of the Warhammer World and the Warhammer 40k Galaxy created the Elves and the Eldar, the Orcs and the Orks. They might well be the same Old Ones, it'd make sense.

This means that yeah, the warhammer world could concievably be anywhere in the galaxy, possibly somewhere cut off by warp storms by something, like the collapsing of the Old Ones gates

If the warhammer world is in the 40k galaxy i think its in the storm of the emperors wrath. It is a crazy space storm that no one can enter
    Purge the Weak!

Brother-Captain

Doesn't really make sense to me. The elven gods are still about and not eaten by Slaanesh, anyone can learn to be a wizard unlike psykers who are born that way, daemons don't enter the physical universe through a wizard's mind, the various lores and their winds are a thing, Orcs don't have an innate ability to make technology and probably more.

Oddly though, the old ones did come on spacecraft and accidentally brought the ork spores with them, and the polar gates sure sound like collapsed webway gates.

It hints at it but also contradicts it.

Brother-Captain

We don't know how long ago the world was made, other than excessively long. It's possible it was a petri-dish world where stuff was getting tested on a small scale before sent out into the galaxy. That could explain the orcs lacking spores: they're the prototype that was good at fighting but poor at remembering stuff that helped them fight (ie technology). So that was a prompt to add the genetic memory, and also a better form of reproduction so deal with a horrendous casualty rate. After all, both instinctive knowledge and spontaneous spawning were proven to work very effectively in lizardmen! The lizardmen themselves proved too inflexible to use as anything other than a 'sit here and guard this' species.

After the war with the Necrons a few Old Ones hid in their test worlds seeking practical biological counters, and possibly would have come up with something if not for that pesky psychic backlash from Slaanesh forming. Should have put some surge protectors into the minds of their proto-eldar! Because the elves channelled it straight to the planet. I'm guessing the planet would be somewhere out of the way because the best defence to almost everything including chaos seems to be distance. Maybe it's on the very outskirts of the Milky Way, part way to the Magellanic Clouds, simply as a quarantine measure.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

First-Captain

And who knows what the old ones ship contained, they were the masters of using the Warp, perhaps they had a way of diffracting the power of the warp? 40K has shown their to be schools of psychic powers, perhaps these are inherrent in the warp and can be split from each other? Creating streams of power that are more stable that the warp energy when it is whole. This might still be in place in the gate in the poles, streaming out as the Winds of magic.

The entire population could be low level psykers, manipulated by the Old One, and so requiring study to draw the "winds of magic" to them, but as the warp on this world is diffuse, its not possible for Daemons to be present to pervert the psykers and be present.

I'd have thought the Elf and Eldar gods were allegorical, mighty and powerful individuals with god like powers of the warp, like the Emperor, but not actually Gods as in Warp Entities formed of emotions like the Chaos Gods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast