BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eldar 2k list GT optimum build for eldar?

Farseer,guide,doom,runes of warding, spirit stones=135
    10 dire avengers,exarch with blade storm=147
    3 warwalkers, 2 brightlances each, spirit stones=295(6 str 8 ap2 lance shots)
    3 warwalkers, 2 scatter lasers each=180 (24 str 6 shots)
    3 warwalkers,2 star cannons each=240 (12 str 6 ap2 shots)
    7 fire dragons=112
    wave serpent,twin linked shrunkien cannons=100
    7 fire dragons=112
    wave serpent,twin linked shrunkien cannons=100

Any suggestions/ improvements?

edit:

The idea is to form a firing line with the dire avengers so if one squad is assaulted at least 3 will be able to move and deal with the threat. The warwalkers turn out an awful lot of str6 shots and str8 lances to pop transports. The warwalkers needed to do the job the most will be guided. The fire dragons are there to provide 2 reliably dead tanks turn 2 and with this many threats on the table have a descent chance of 1 or 2 surviving to bring their melta's to bear a second time. The wave serpent try to survive then make a nusiance of themselves contesting objectives and the dire avengers combined with 6 star cannons ensure infantry die in droves(which they will with 150 shots second turn possibly re-rolling to hit/wound. As for anti tank I think its pretty solid because any spamming of transports means the scatter lasers can usally pen on a 6 meaning 1 transport is dead turn 1.Then the 6 brightlances bring another one down and later on the fire dragons get stuck in. It is true that warwalkers are onyl av10 but don't forget the bl ones have spirit stones and 1,2,3,4, on the glancing table only puts 1 out of action for 1 turn and 1,2, on the pen table do the same,and 3 halfs the effectivness of 1 of them.Its sort of a semi-invunerable save.

Also don't forget the warwalkers range is 36 inches so the enemy will have to come forward unless the army is exceptionally adept at long range firepower in whcih case the dire avengers move forward and run first 1st turn then move and open up 2nd turn.
    Last edited by Heimagiblin; 02-12-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Chaplain

Your dire avengers... are on foot?

Also, your anti-tank is transparent and not especially hard. Two wave serpents of fire dragons and three warwalkers with bright lances is not exactly threatening. What happens when you come up against mech guard, or really any army that's tank-heavy. Not to mention that to be effective, your fire dragons have to rush forward, all but unsupported, to kill any heavy armor.

It's probably not terrible if your opponent is coming to you, you have bountiful area terrain to deploy in, and they don't field much tanks. That's a lot of "ifs". I'm hardly an eldar player, so I can't give great advice to fix this, (though I've played a lot of eldar and know what's scary) but I feel you may be setting yourself up for a beating.

Also, you should include tactical plans with your list. Like I said, I'm hardly an eldar player, so maybe you have some trick I'm not aware of, but it seems to me this army only works if the opponent plays just like you want them to.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Chapter-Master

Maybe just me, but I don't think Eldar are effective when they spam the same unit over n' over. If you are going on foot, I am sure you could swap out some dire avengers (not all) for guardians and squeeze out an Avatar. Then you'll be at least Fearless, and not running or being pinned when the enemy starts to shoot you a bunch.

Either that, or take a second Farseer. Having guide/Doom cast on multiple targets could be useful. Guided Bright Lance War Walkers 50/50 almost anything Armor 12 and higher.

The list just seems like it would be too easy to deal with. The War Walkers are easy to kill/disrupt (Covering 50% of the hull is difficult to do!), the Fire Dragons can be baited, and massive groups of Dire Avengers can be destroyed from afar.

Eldar excel at confusing their opponents, and most of that is done with a varied selection of units. They become difficult to wield with the various units, but a player that knows what each unit is capable of in conjunction with other units is a difficult opponent to face off against.

Yea I thought about swapping 10 dire evengers for a farseer,set up similarly to the first. However, I think swapping a dire avengers squad for a avatar is not a good idea because fearless is awful in the new rules and i'm not going to kid myself that an avatar will stand up to the best combat units being chucked around by the other armies. I would much rather they obliterated a dire avenger squad and were then left out in the open too die.I'll see what other say about the farseer though.

Oh and also can everyone stop saying that 50 dire avengers are going to drop dead as soon as anyone pays any attention to them. Eldar are fragile but not that fragile!I think people are used to killing any eldar that pokes his head out of a wave serpent but once you get enough they can start to win wars of attrition because of their massive damage output. They just have to focus fire efficently enoguh and cordinate ther'e firepower to allow for minimum return fire.For example, fire dragons pop land raider, farseer guides warwalkers with star cannons, killing 5 terminators on average, 2-3 if they have storm shields.

Chaplain

Dire avengers are T3 with a 4+ save. That IS FRAGILE. That is almost as fragile as you can get in 40k! Those squads will drop dead as soon as something pays attention to them, and something will, because you have nothing to distract from them in your army. If you're using fragile units to accomplish dangerous things, then bring along stuff that the enemy will want to shoot first!

As for the Avatar, two things:
    1.) Know what's worse than taking no retreat wounds? Getting sweeping advanced. Fearless is NOT a debuff by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, no retreat wounds suck... but being immune to moral and always avoiding the big SA is definitely worth it.
    2.) You have no assault units in the army. None. You are almost entirely on foot, so you have very little mobility. Do you really think that you will be able to kill the enemy before they get to you?

You do realize that a full squad of Dire avengers, on average, fails to kill even ONE marine in assault? And that with all squads bladestorming you'll kill, on average, 16 marines. That's not even two full squads, and you can bet you'll get assaulted next turn. What happens then? You can't expect to just roll over units until the marines finally go down to some lucky hits.

The problem with your list is that you have essential used Eldar to make a Tau list. You are all shooting and no assault. To drive the example home, Tau can field the following list:

HQ
    Shas'o
    +Twin-linked fusion blaster
    +Plasma Rifle
    Bodyguard
    2 Crisis Suits
    +Twin-linked fusion blaster
    +Plasma Rifle
    Troops
    Fire Warrior Team (12 man)
    +Shas'ui
    +Markerlight
    +Shas'ui
    +Markerlight
    +Shas'ui
    +Markerlight
    +Shas'ui
    +Markerlight
    +Shas'ui
    +Markerlight
    Fast Attack
    Piranha Team (2 Vehicles)
    +Fusion Blasters
    Piranha Team (2 Vehicles)
    +Fusion Blasters
    Heavy Support
    Hammerhead Gunship
    +Railgun
    Hammerhead Gunship
    +Railgun
    Hammerhead Gunship
    +Railgun

What's special about this list? It's yours done Tau. It has fire warriors (better shooting) in place of dire avengers, Battlesuits in place of Farseer (the only place where this list is weaker), Piranhas in place of Fire Dragons, (Which can deep strike, and are quite good at blocking assaults), and, to top it off, Hammerhead Gunships with railguns in place of War Walkers.

The icing on the cake? This list isn't 2K. It's not even 1750. It comes to a cool 1639. That leaves 361 points to play around with, in a list that is yours but doing it better.

My point here is that you are playing your army wrong. I understand I sound harsh, but it's the truth, and the truth hurts. You either need to start figuring out how to use Eldar's famed mobility (jetbikes, vypers, wave serpents, etc.) and unit specialization, and get soem decent assault units, or realize that you love to play shooty gunline armies and start playing Tau or Imperial Guard. If you do choose to stick with Eldar, this here blog is a nice resource:
    [url]http://saimhann.blogspot.com/[/url]

Best of luck at the tourney.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Brother-Sergeant

MECH UP!!

Seriously, only a few foot armies work in fifth edition and Eldar are not one of them. Ditch at least two of those Avenger squads and reduce the points you are spending on the rest. Then buy Falcons (Pulse/Scat/Shur) or Serpants(TL Lance/Shur) to give you mobility and survivability.

Warwalkers are too fragile to be wielding those very expensive Brightlances. Ditch those lances in favor of Scatter Lasers and leave the heavy armor destroying for your Dragons and Lances on your Serpants. Oh and I don't think the Star cannons are worth it, half the shots of a scatter laser and almost twice as expensive. There are too many cover saves available for that to be worthwhile. Just stick with the volume of fire that scatter lasers afford you.

The Dragons should be cut down to 5, you really do not need seven to take down a Vehicle.

But really, foot Eldar does not work. You will just get ripped to shreds whenever you have to move out of cover. And you are not taking full advantage of what makes Eldar great, Speed and lots of S:6.

Just my take

you serpents need spirit stones it is essential that they get to where they are going.
    dire advengers on foot either get avoided or blasted from afar. With out cc powers your also vunerable to fast assult.
    maximum units could work in seize ground. but they are a liability in the other 2 missions.
    jet bikes are better at grabing objectives where it will be obvious as to where your dire advengers are going. rangers and guardians are better at hanging back though neither is good at holding objectives. the guardians with a warlock could be backed up by a wraith lord. Kit it out with long range anti tank may be a better investment than anti tank low bs warwalker.
    if your planning to out flank with war walkers it may be a good idea to swap to eldar miss launch. Cheaper more flexable and should not need the lance to pen side armour
    So far eldar have no ability to reduce enemy ld other than cc so you will find it difficult to shift opponents on objectives.

Dave l

Chapter-Master

I don't think you need to 'mech up'. That's a style thing. However, I do agree that you are receiving diminishing returns the more Dire Avengers you have.

Personally, If I were to Spam a unit, I would choose warp spiders. Fast, decent assault + hit n' run, and crazy good 2 shot str 6 gun, and 3+ armor.

Overall, if you squeezed a scorpion squad or something else, you'll find the performance of your army greatly increased.

What about if I swap a dire avenger squad for a banshee squad ,then swap another dire avenger squad for another wave serpent.

About the anti-tank, as I said the fire dragons are 7 because with that many you have a chance of being able to reload them and do it again. I messed around with their unit size squite alot and believe me 7 is enough to make them expendable and enough to give them a good chance to survive till next turn.The warwalkers are imo the best units in the codex and the bright lances are only 30 pts and will usually be guided.
    Anyway, Is that any better.

ps. Hammerheads are completly trumped by warwalkers. I take your point though.

Sorry, double post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast