BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Khaine Magic!

Default Khaine Magic!

Hello fellow warhammerers,

Has anyone tried out the new Khaine magic rules yet? I haven't tried them myself but am looking forward to giving them a go in the New Year.

What were your thoughts, was it good fun?

Has it changed your army build/selection at all?

I'm considering giving a few lower level wizards a go to branch out my spell lores, though I'm guessing a Level 4 is still necessary.....

It's not bad, definitely takes longer though. You're more likely to get a bunch of smaller spells through, but less likely to see super spells.

Not used it yet. In fact, haven't played a game in months, mostly because of work pressures.

But, I really like it. Lots of spells to choose from, opens up the usefulness of lower level casters as they get all the spells open to them, but the random dice available to actually chuck at a given spell should help curb things nicely, and prevent magic becoming the crux of the game.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

It takes ages! Not just the physical mechanics of casting, but working out what is worthwhile casting. I found you end up just casting one or two spells over and over, rather than utilising all of them.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

The group I play in uses it and from my experiences, it has been awesome. I've seen the exact opposite of wildeybeast, since being dispelled stops you from casting that spell again in that turn I see myself and others casting spells that they otherwise never would have looked at. It has made the phase take a bit longer but I think overall it has also made it more engaging and interactive which in my book is a huge positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    It takes ages! Not just the physical mechanics of casting, but working out what is worthwhile casting. I found you end up just casting one or two spells over and over, rather than utilising all of them.
    I'm tempted to go lore of fire and lore of tzeentch then and spam out magic missiles......!

I'll say, casting Flesh to Stone 3-4 times a phase is HUGE.

I've yet to see anyone cast the same spell 3-4 times a turn. If you play the way the rules are written, and the common sense way, then new magic isn't all that overpowering. It has been extensively played in my area and people are having a blast with it. It introduces some much needed variety to the magic phase.

The way it has been working for us so far is roughly something along the lines of this:

"I'm casting spell X with a casting value of 20!"
    -Rolls 2-
    "Well okay nevermind, I'll just put one dice to the side. Next I'll cast this spell, casting value 15"
    -Rolls 1-
    "Yeah that's another dice gone, how about this spell with casting value 18?"
    -Rolls 3-
    "Ehm.... you know what, screw this, I'm casting fireball until I run out of casting dice."

Chapter-Master

I've played several games with the new rules, generally I think it is a bit of a middling update. It vastly reduces the chances of people six-dicing the mega spells at every opportunity without care for tactics, but the two major downsides are that spamming smaller spells and the actual time it takes to resolve everything bog the magic phase down. If someone rocks up with a Loremaster of Hoeth, Teclis or a Slaan with the Wandering Deliberations discipline, the magic phase quite literally takes anywhere from fifteen to thirty minutes at a time. When you have four spells to use, it is quite easy to keep track of what you want to cast at any given point; having eight (nine for the Elf lores) is difficult enough, but when you know over fifty? Madness! Trying to figure out what is best at any given point then resolving the random dice allocation and what not slows the game down so much, however at least there have been a lot of neat side-effects. For one, Magic Resistance is actually really valuable now that the magic phase mostly boils down to spamming damaging spells - damn you Karl Franz Ascendant! - while I am seeing more lower-level wizards now that all spellcasters have pseudo-Loremaster.

Unfortunately, it also makes certain units and combinations absolutely bonkers. Any model that has proper Loremaster or is able to generate spells from multiple lores quickly establishes itself as the king or queen of that field; it is quite obvious why the Mortarchs (Arkhan, Mannfred and Neferata) are priced as they are in relation to the Maggoth Lords (Bloab, Morbidex and Orghotts). Nagash, Arkhan and Malekith don't give a rats about the random dice allocation for spells as they are able to add dice to their casting/dispel attempts. Nagash knows the entirety of Death, Undeath, Nehekara, Light and Vampires while being a Level 5 Wizard that can add power dice to his casting attempts; if summoning entire armies wasn't enough, the new 4D6 power dice pool also allows him to pretty much annihilate entire units at a time and give his army monumental buffs as he summons them. Undead in general are ridiculous with End Times Magic, they have so many ways of getting extra power dice and dispel dice while adding bonuses to their casting attempts...they are pretty much unstoppable in the Magic Phase now if they weren't already. To be fair though, I can't complain; Neferata is now far better than she was now that she knows the entirety of four spell lores (Arkhan knows two, Mannfred knows three) which actually gives her a purpose next to Mannfred! Yay!
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/