BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Which one is the dude who can turn into a C'tan shard?

That guy is a douchebag :P

I had to kill him like 4 times in a single game with my wraithseer once. It was like a game of whack-a-mole for him.
    Orikan the Diviner in powered up The Stars Are Right mode is pretty much a C'tan shard

Scout

Necrons would be incredibly easy to update, however, gw rarely does things this way.

The book, while feeling incredibly OP WHEN IT CAME OUT, is clearly not dominating the table top in today's game.

For example, scythes were a huge deal when they came out, as no one had skyfire - today, with wave serpents (which are great AA), flyrants, skyrays, 75 point stalkers etc. they are not too big a deal. Are they undercosted compared to other units in the book? Absolutely. However, this is more a case of bad internal balance, not them being OMG OP!!!

Likewise, MSS were a very poor design choice - nercon heroes are absolutely terrible in CC (poor weapon skills, init, and other wargear compared to other HQ class CC heroes).
    So, GW came up with MSS - a neat idea in fluff, and a way to give Necron characters a decent chance in CC -however, it is also incredibly annoying for players.
    NO ONE likes feeling like they loose control of their character.

Overall, the Necron codex is not that bad to play against, it is just not very fun to play either - it suffers from terrible internal balance; there is a reason may lists look similar.

It would be very easy to "fix" the codex;

1 - Barges, scythes, and ctan all have BASE costs of 110 points.
    2 - Flayed ones get rending and/or moved to troops.
    3 - Monoliths can actually fire their weapons (this is more an issue with how ordinance rules are written).
    4 - MSS either give a boost to the lord (maybe giving them equal WS, A, and Init of the other unit) or a reduction to the other character (reduction in WS, or BS, similar to paroxysm).
    5- Lychguard and praetorians need huge point reductions or just reworked.

Overall, the book is fine in the current game, just all the lists are the same.

DP

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    I've never played against it - I have no idea how bad it is.
    Not to go into too much detail but it moves 18 ignoring terrain, S&T 9, 6 wounds and a 3+/4* save. The nastiest of it's attacks are 6D6 Krak Missile shots and a apocalypse size flamer template D weapon, oh and when it and if it dies it does sgt 10 ap 2 hits to everything within 4D6 of his base. Oh and poison/sniper only wound it on a 6.

Roughly 1000pts but the size of a standard deamon prince, tabled my Grey Knights in two turns and that was before the rest of his army fired a shot! Most tournaments ban Lords Of Wars because of this monster.
    Last edited by Proiteus; 12-12-2014 at 10:05 AM.
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

It would be very easy to "fix" the codex;

1 - Barges, scythes, and ctan all have BASE costs of 110 points.
    2 - Flayed ones get rending and/or moved to troops.
    3 - Monoliths can actually fire their weapons (this is more an issue with how ordinance rules are written).
    4 - MSS either give a boost to the lord (maybe giving them equal WS, A, and Init of the other unit) or a reduction to the other character (reduction in WS, or BS, similar to paroxysm).
    5- Lychguard and praetorians need huge point reductions or just reworked.

I like these, Simple easy fixes to stuff. MSS could let the necron hit on 3+ or make opponent WS 1 or something.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    Not to go into detail but it moves 18 ignoring terrain, S&T 9, 6 wounds and a 3+/4* save. The nastiest of it's attacks are 6D6 Krak Missile shots and a apocalypse size flamer template D weapon, oh and when it blows up it does sgt 10 ap 2 hits to everything within 4D6 of his base. Oh and poison/sniper only wound it on a 6.

Roughly 1000pts but the size of a standard deamon prince, tabled my Grey Knights in two turns and that was before the rest of his army fired a shot! Most tournaments ban Lords Of Wars because of this monster.
    This is an lord of war internal balance issue more than any specific problem with that specific TCtan build.
    A warhound Can blow it off the table before it moves. A tau tigershark or scythed heriodule won't even bother it.

However, this unit is not even in the the necron codex - the Ctan SHARD, which is, is so bad its painful (in fact, some players don't even know necrons still have ctan in their codex, they are so bad).

Back to the codex:

I really hope they can make the ctan shards viable - love the fluff and the models, would like for them to at least be decent.
    (and yes, there are plenty of good fluffy reasons they could be lower power on the battlefield - their writers are just not good at creative justification)
    Don't need them to be as good as a knight titan, but want them better than they are.

Again, my personal biggest desire is for more units to just to be viable - for more varied lists.

I play both with and against necrons (i.e. I am not just a necron player, but there are also other necron players in my area) and they like all armies, have weaknesses that smart players can exploit.
    I just really want more good options in the dex. Do I expect them to be as good and diverse with options as my marines (who I love)? No. But better would be nice.

Hopefully we will also see some dynasty variation (similar to chapters or IA necron book) either in unit selections, or upgrades or warlord tables etc.

Oh, and I would love to use my pariah's again one day.

Dave Pak
    Last edited by davethepak; 12-12-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, I want Pariahs back - and by that I mean the anti-warp Blanks, Lychguard don't count or have anything related to that. Hoping they won't get rid of Immortals as troops if they produce a shiny new warriors squad.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Yeah, I want Pariahs back - and by that I mean the anti-warp Blanks, Lychguard don't count or have anything related to that. Hoping they won't get rid of Immortals as troops if they produce a shiny new warriors squad.
    Agreed. Not only was it one of the more flavourful units in the old Codex, but it gives the army something they are sorely lacking: credible anti-psyker clout.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Thomas View Post
    Agreed. Not only was it one of the more flavourful units in the old Codex, but it gives the army something they are sorely lacking: credible anti-psyker clout.
    At least not without relying on a Monstrous Creature taking up valuable Heavy Support slots...

Initiate

I would like to be able to use our elite section without feeling like I'm wasting points. Can't remember the exact fluff right now, but it would be nice if we could put more then just warriors in the ghost arks as well, whether that would work fluff wise or not. Although gw doesn't mind changing fluff, so who knows. I know they are gonna nerf tesla and I accept that but I would just like to be able to field more variety of units. It would be nice to be able to use destroyers again as well.

Making the Praetorians into the old Pariahs would be pretty keen. A mobile squad with an anti psyker ability

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast