BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Help needed planning an Ostermark army.

I'm just starting building an Empire army and would really like some advice on what to put in a fairly defensive fluffy Ostermark army. I like the Ostermark partly because of the colours but also I like the idea of them being on the fringe.

Currently I'm thinking of an army with mercenaries as well like a few Ogres but I'm not sure if that fits the fluff. I'd like to put in a couple of cannon but not sure that would fit with the poverty of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Cahan View Post
    I'm just starting building an Empire army and would really like some advice on what to put in a fairly defensive fluffy Ostermark army. I like the Ostermark partly because of the colours but also I like the idea of them being on the fringe.

Currently I'm thinking of an army with mercenaries as well like a few Ogres but I'm not sure if that fits the fluff. I'd like to put in a couple of cannon but not sure that would fit with the poverty of the area.
    I think the 8th edition rulebook has some ostermark colors. As far as what works for Empire, I have a friend who plays them. He does very well at 2000 to 2500 point games where he uses small 5 man units of knights of chaff, 2 4 man units of demigryphs, and one 12 man unit of inner circle knights with an arch lector with crown of command. He uses two cannons, but they always misfire on him. I've trounced him in the bigger 5000 to 6000 point games, where he uses his knights as large units with Kurt Helborg. He is thinking of switching from lances on his knights to great weapons because he feels the knights don't have the staying power in big fights. I think if he had more chaff units in the bigger games he could dictate the setup for which fights he wants. He is thinking of getting 50 more Empire knights with great weapons just for chaff. 10 units of crossbow men or archers do just the same thing, and cost less for chaff units. The special chariot that gives Empire +1 to hit in melee is also annoying. My friend hasn't gotten that yet. And he wants to stay away from steamtanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Cahan View Post

If you want fluffy and defensive, crossbowmen and spearmen fit the bill for core with greatswords for special, Cannons are almost mandatory in End Times and helblaster is nice.. However, it's not the most competitive army. I use the Empire maneater model as a unit filler in my Greatswords and he looks pretty cool, at the moment there aren't rules for ogre mercenary contingents (from GW). You could agree it with your opponent though, it's possible the option will appear in a future Endtimes (I'd even say likely). Both the buff wagons are good, with the Hurricanum being the stronger IMHO, the spell is better on the Luminark but the buff effect is much better on the Hurricanum

Quote Originally Posted by King Chud View Post
    I think the 8th edition rulebook has some ostermark colors. As far as what works for Empire, I have a friend who plays them. He does very well at 2000 to 2500 point games where he uses small 5 man units of knights of chaff, 2 4 man units of demigryphs, and one 12 man unit of inner circle knights with an arch lector with crown of command. He uses two cannons, but they always misfire on him. I've trounced him in the bigger 5000 to 6000 point games, where he uses his knights as large units with Kurt Helborg. He is thinking of switching from lances on his knights to great weapons because he feels the knights don't have the staying power in big fights. I think if he had more chaff units in the bigger games he could dictate the setup for which fights he wants. He is thinking of getting 50 more Empire knights with great weapons just for chaff. 10 units of crossbow men or archers do just the same thing, and cost less for chaff units. The special chariot that gives Empire +1 to hit in melee is also annoying. My friend hasn't gotten that yet. And he wants to stay away from steamtanks.
    The downside to the GW knights is they are that much easier to kill as they lose the mighty 1+ save. Against an enemy warrior of chaos with HW you lose twice as many. They'll obviously kill more after the charge though.