BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Abbess Sanctorum

Default Playing with detachments

Playing around with Empire lists, namely detachments. I like making army lists, and WFB is a new game so it's fresh to me even if it likely isn't to you guys. This one is 750 points.

Heroes: 100 Pts
    Captain w/Hammer of Judgement, Armor of Meteoric Iron

Core: 650 Pts
    19 Halberdiers w/Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer
    -- Sergeant w/Shield
    -- 10 Archers Detachment
    -- 5 Halberdiers Detachment

19 Halberdiers w/Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer
    -- Sergeant w/Shield
    -- 10 Archers Detachment
    -- 5 Halberdiers Detachment

14 Handgunners w/Musician
    -- Marksman w/Hochland Long Rifle

________[Archer Det]________[Archer Det]
    [Halb Det] [Halberds] [Handguns] [Halberds] [Halb Det]

Likely to switch out the Hammer for another item as I was informed it isn't as good as it sounds.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-18-2010 at 05:32 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Okay well then. I can't say I've played empire recently but I'll try to be helpful. From your list you've got the right sort of idea but there are some gaping flaws in your list.

As you said the hammer on your captain isn't all it's cracked up to be. I think you'd probably be better off with a great weapon. Striking last in fantasy isn't so much of a big deal when you're I5 because if you charge you go first anyway and there are units which go up to I6 basic. It'll also save you 21 points.
    The pistol is also worth considering on him as well, firstly it gives you a shooting attack which although being a gimmic mainly might manage to knock a rank bonus off when your being charged with a stand and shoot reaction. It also gives him acess to an additional hand weapon so you'll be able to choose between 4 S4 attacks or 3 S6.

The parent units look okay to me, nice and big. I would be very tempted to swap them to being swordsmen because they are more surviable but that's your call. The detachments are where I'm going to have to be very critical. 5 Halberdiers are just going to turn into free combat res. If I kill 1 then you are no longer getting the +1 flank bonus and with a normal unit getting an extra 3 attacks to the side (before you strike, so hopefully this will be less) the odds of losing one is pretty good. Combat detachments really should be at least 10 big for this reason. This way the odds of you losing that flank bonus is extremely small.

I don't understand your logic on the archers placing them in front of your lines will just generate a speed bump, and I'm not sure how they help you as detachments.

I'm also not sure about the handgunners. 15 seems a few to many. You can only fire in 2 ranks when you're on a hill. Taking an extra 5 just in case there is a hill on the table just seems like a waste. You'd be better off with 2 units of 10 (dropping a few archers to make the points).
    I also don't believe in the hockland long rifle. I find that it will never hit enough for it to be effective. If you're shooting a unit over half then it only hits on 5s, so that means in a game you'll get 2-3 hits. I just don't think that is worth the extra price tag of 20 points. What I would have instead is the brace of pistols (or just a normal handgun).

Hope that was helpful

Random Guy

Abbess Sanctorum

The Halberdiers w/Shields purchased have the same armor save as swordsmen despite also costing the same. In fact, there's no reason to ever purchase swordsmen going by their statlines and rules from what I can tell, Halberdiers are cheaper and more versatile (with full command and shields, halberdiers are five points cheaper than swordsmen with full command). Both squads have all the same equipment but halberdiers have halberds as well as the handweapon and shield and light armor.

The entire purpose of hte archers is to shoot a few time and to use the skirmisher rules to screen the enemy. Oh, and to absorb the enemy's initial charge, so that the Halberdiers get to charge during their next move phase. Remember, you don't take panic tests if detachments are destroyed or flee, so the archers are complete throw-away units.

The handgunners are there because handgunners are cool. I could add one model and make it sixteen, or two ranks of eight (at least I think that would work).
    Last edited by Melissia; 02-07-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Abbess Sanctorum

Also, can someone move this to the army list section?

*sigh* I screwed up in placeming it in the wrong forum.

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-18-2010 at 05:29 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Abbess Sanctorum

No, that's just from having the shield plus hand weapon combination IIRC, it's not unique to swordsmen. I could be wrong, though.

Brother-Captain

If halberts are two handed weapons then they would not get the parry bonus, and they would NOT be using the shield in CC, so you'd be stuck with light armour only.
    Sorry but Swordsmen are the superior choice because they are more durable. The S bonus is great for the detachments, but you want your main block to live, hence the shield combo.

Randomguy is pretty spot on. Bumping up the halberts to 25 would also lend a great deal of duriblity to the unit.

Hochlands: I liked 'em. But they work best when you have 2 or 3 of them, but I do think they are rather pricey for what you get.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Abbess Sanctorum

If halberts are two handed weapons then they would not get the parry bonus, and they would NOT be using the shield in CC
    They'd get the parry bonus as long as they are not using the halberds, and from my knowledge you don't HAVE to use a two-handed weapon if you have it, but I may be mixing rules here. Mind pointing me to the page in the WFB BRB that says you do?

Brother-Captain

You are correct. You don't have to use the halbert, provided the unit comes with a generic hand weapon. But remember once you choice either hw or halbert you're stuck with that choice until the unit is no longer in combat.

If I recall swordsmen to have a higher WS as well, which generally will take the unit from being hit on 3+ to a 4+
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast