BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    [engage pedant mode]10 bob notes aren't bent....I think you mean 9 bob notes?[/disengage pedant mode]
    OH they are so bent mate, you find me a 50 pence note in the UK and I'll show you how to tell it's bent (not least because it's a note).
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    OH they are so bent mate, you find me a 50 pence note in the UK and I'll show you how to tell it's bent (not least because it's a note).
    Oh, you meant Stoke-on-Trent...
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
    I recently had a nightmare of 4 bad resin kits where the customer support team was literally opening them before sending them and scrounging parts out to me. took 4 weeks and they couldnt find a complete model without a serious molding error. This has basically sent me on the "anti - finecast" crusade where im only seeking out older metal models. The problem is it cost me at least 50 to even 100 percent more for the metal versions.

at least for characters, is anyone else but me looking for the old metal stuff?
    I managed to catch most of my bangle characters before the failcost apocalypse, and when I went all ork during the last codex I managed to catch most of the current and previous run of characters in metal on ebay. I think the most I paid was a fiver over retail, but that was for the nob banner lad still in blister. In many cases I paid less than retail for painted or undercoated figures, that, after a couple of days in dettol, were shiny new again.

Don't mind characters in plastic, just never warmed to resin, probably just my advanced age.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chaplain

I don't tend to pay extra to avoid finecast.

I'll actively hunt out older metal sculpts at swap meets, bring-and-buy, or gamers 2nd hand stalls, though.

Grabbed a 6th ed tiranoc chariot for my HE, and two bolt throwers with crew that way (for less than what a single model of each costs in plastic).

I stopped buying 40k stuff a couple of years ago, though.
    Excuse the frequent sarcasm. I'm an Aussie. It's part and parcel of whom we are.
    "You can take my sarcasm when you can pry it from my cold, dry wit!"

Librarian

since some people mentioned it, im not sure theres any pure lead 40k models, i just know that they went from being about 5% to 3% in 1993 or 95 there used to be a pdf of an internal gw document that was around for a bit addressing it. essentially when GW stores opened they constantly got questions from parents about the pewter and the "you hold it by its base" argument did not hold up. when im back from tour ill find it somewhere in my desktop pdf collection

I have the White Dwarf from when they eliminated lead. They decided to do it for safety reasons.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I think I would say plastic for troops, metal for characters. Because, as Boris the Blade said, 'Heavy is reliable'.
    Not really the case with models. Heavy and metal means breaking easily and paint chipping, light and plastic/resin means not likely to break or chip when dropped.

If styrene plastic is available, I'll gladly go with that. Crisp & precise, non-brittle. Easy to assemble. Multi-pose.

Failing that, monopose metal. Not a fan of pinning anymore. Minor chipping is an annoyance, but that's why we have storage cases.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
    If styrene plastic is available, I'll gladly go with that. Crisp & precise, non-brittle. Easy to assemble. Multi-pose.

Failing that, monopose metal. Not a fan of pinning anymore. Minor chipping is an annoyance, but that's why we have storage cases.
    I must be one lucky duck. I have thousands of painted metal models stretching back to the early 90's and I've yet to deal with paint chipping.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

First-Captain

Chipping paintwork is mostly due to type of paint used (chemical balance and ingredants and such) and temperture the models are constaly kept at, as metal contract and shrinks in very hot and very cold tempertures.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast