BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 190 of 236 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2356
    Brother-Captain

Jeremy Hunt seemed keen as mustard on the tellie this morning, for the leaders job anyway. Very slow Brexit vision. Suggested a General election focusing on a Brexit plan needs to happen before we leave the EU. Also wants to push for a Norway style deal but without full freedom of movement, which at the moment doesn't seem like somthing the EU would go for. But hell at least he's coming out with an idea. It's a sobering thought that Leave doesn't seem to have any plan even in draft form for Brexit.

Cammeron had to go shown to be ineffectual on both a Domestic and International stage.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

FFS anyone but hunt(maybe not gove). Has Teresa may quietly withdrawn her name? as she was the "unity" candidate news were talking about at the weekend.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

Not heard much from her tbh seems like she was taking a back seat waiting to see which way the wind blew. Not really the time for that sort of thing, she needs to come striding out with a bold plan if she wants to take control. Not keen on her either (or any of them tbh) she's shown a disturbing desire to sell off as much of the emergency services to her husband sorry G4S as she can get away woth b

Chapter-Master

It would be nice to have a honest politician wouldn't it?

Brother-Captain

So very nice.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I think Cameron ultimately did the right thing.
    How so?

And I don't mean that sarcastically (I know how the internet is). I mean, it isn't as if he or his party just lost an actual election. So wouldn't his replacement be just as unlikely to believe in "leave" as he did? And someone has to negotiate the leave- or declare that they aren't going to do it.

It looks to me like he was paralyzed to act- he either could do something he feels is poor for the country (and the immediate economic downturns seem to verify that) or he could ignore the voice of the people (which is very undemocratic of him- and cannot be popular from any side).

As I understand the rules here:

The EU only respects the decisions of the supreme executive (Prime Minister) on this matter. So there needs to be a PM who invokes article 50. The EU rules don't acknowledge any other method of leaving.

The Parliament has supreme power and with a majority vote can force the Prime Minister to act one way or another (so if they vote to leave, it is binding).

The populous have no defined power. Their vote does not count for anything official, except in as much as people believe that democratically their voice should matter. Everyone beforehand said that the popular vote would matter, so they're having trouble because they also feel that leaving the EU is the wrong choice.

Now, on my side of the pond, our people resign pretty much after some sort of personal scandal (ie, they've accepted bribes, committed crimes, abuse of power etc). They don't resign when they are required to enforce things they do not agree with- generally the thought is that they can minimize the damage. If they do a poor enough job of it, they can be forced out of office, but generally they'll only resign when it is clear that they will be forced out of office. Oh, and there was Sarah Palin who left office because she wanted to be a pundit and not a politician.

Having to negotiate terms they aren't very into is actually a reason someone would stay in office around here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    It's a sobering thought that Leave doesn't seem to have any plan even in draft form for Brexit.
    This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. When Colorado legalized pot for recreational purposes, the politicians drafting the laws were also people who opposed the movement in the first place. Also, they had the bill ready to go before the vote happened.

This thing that's happening in Britain right now looks sort of like Hot Potato to me, only the stakes are very high.

www.GardenNinja.com

Chapter-Master

Well Cameron was going to resign this term anyway, he wasn't going to lead the Conservatives in to the next election. and it is possible that the next election will come sooner than 2020. He is not obliged to do something he doesn't believe in, I don't think there would be anything good or clever about staying on to oversee something he thinks is wrong, that would seem the opposite to me.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chaplain

If Cameron stayed the Leave campaign would blame him for the negative effects, accusing him of not negotiating hard enough. No way he wants to expose himself to that.

And I don't think he such a master tactician and diplomat that he would do much better than somebody else.

So, I just joined the Labour Party, in a sign of support for Jeremy Corbyn
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Are you trying to make it easy for the tories?