BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 188 of 236 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2356

I still don think Article 50 will ever be invoked...
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    If they don't reduce our payments and remove free movement it would go against why a significant number voted leave and render the entire exercise completely pointless. What that would mean for their political futures who the **** knows?
    I know right, Im surprised you lot haven't been rioting in the streets over this sod. It would honestly be funny if it wasnt so damned tragic.
    i dont think it will overly tank careers though, people have generally short memories
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Ditto. None of the idiots pushing it have the courage to actually take responsibility for it, and I'm quite convinced Johnson and Farage were convinced it would fail themselves and just wanted to use the wave of disappointment from Leavers to raise their profile further. Farage was conceding around the time counting had started ffs.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Well it isn't quite as simple as some may have. The invoking of it is down to the legislature of the country doing it. It isn't simply the prime minister saying so we'd have to have an act passed through Parliament to revoke he 1972 one that said we could ask to join in the first place. So it'll be a while (whatever the EU Comission or French foreign minister says).

On the subject of contributions Norway (according to the t'internet) pays around €300M a year. Currently we pay around £160-190M a week (including our rebate) so if we did (no means a certainty) get a similar plan we would play significantly less. It wouldn't do anything on the free movement front though.

(In response to Daboarder)
    We don't tend to have Right wing riots in the UK (ignoring frootball) it's the Left that indulges in political violence on that scale. Given the result they are very much a possibility. It is entirely possible that the working class out voters have had their moment though and are quite happy with the panic they've caused so wil get back in their box it Article 50 doesn't get invoked. The Older Brexiters aren't very likely or capable to kick off.

Oh and in case no one has had a look the DAX has dropped more than the FTSE. I guess no one will be ignoring the working classes on England and Wales for a while.
    Last edited by grimmas; 06-27-2016 at 07:48 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Norway has the same per-capita....and I'm still far from convinced Europe is in any mood to play nicely with us...
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

The big question is either 'Do they have the balls to initiate Article 50' or 'Do they have the balls to NOT initiate Article 50'?

I am not convinced what is more motivating for them. It is interesting that I am not seeing any great move from Europe to say 'disregard the result'. I think the EU is sick of us and would rather cut out the opposition to the grand programme.

As to lies - both sides lied. But Leave is not a government with a country backed mandate to make policy. They are in no position to make sure £3.50 gets to the NHS, let alone £350m.

Perhaps we could try and keep the referendum stuff to that thread so as not to crayon over British politics - although they will be intertwined for a few years.

I see what people say about Corbyn's mandate from the labour voters - but under this political system he needs the support of the Parliamentary Labour Party. And given there is every chance he is a leave voter... I think he is gone.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Referendum isn't binding though - and I'm becoming ever more convinced the result was a botch for both sides. Given the dodgy actions after, I really don't think Leave really wanted to succeed - it was instead about furthering political careers.

Daft thing is, by wanting to stay in the Single Market, very little is going to change. Though we won't have any MEPs if Article 50 is invoked, so at least UKIP won't have any parasites suckling at the teat they claim to detest...

Brother-Captain

Id say they have to be very careful how they deal with us, too harsh they look like the power crazed megalomaniacs they are being painted as by Europsceptics across the EU, to soft and leaving looks like a good option. Of course they do still need to keep a decent level of trade with us because if we buy a lot less off them they will experience drops which again Eurosceptics will be all over. Also if we do leave, any one else doing it isn't going to be alone. Make no mistake the whole thing is very finely balanced. Whatever happens it won't be dull.

Having a Eurosceptics party like UKIP as MEPs should be a good thing for us because in theory they should be working to get is the best deal rather than giving concessions to Europe. Much like the SNP does for Scotland in the UK.

I do think there is a significant portion of the EU who is glad to see the back of us we aren't the most cooperative bunch moving us to the EEA is probably the best result for them, they still get the money, trade and the like from us but we don't get in the way anymore. I'm not sure they'll be that keen seeing as they are basically to the UK what the UK is to the EU.

Speaking of the SNP Alex Salmond was on TV again this morning damn he's good, balanced, calm, realistic and confident everything you'd like to see in a politician during difficult times. Unfortunately all the things missing in our current crop main party politicians.
    Last edited by grimmas; 06-27-2016 at 09:37 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

UKIP never work on anything in Europe, they just turn up to the occasional meeting and ***** about the EU whilst using the MEP wages to fund their party.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    If they don't reduce our payments and remove free movement it would go against why a significant number voted leave and render the entire exercise completely pointless. What that would mean for their political futures who the **** knows?
    Farage doesn't have one. He's not an MP and hasn't got a ghost of a chance of getting Prime Minister. His political future isn't as lucrative as being a scapegoat for Leave.

On the subject of contributions Norway (according to the t'internet) pays around €300M a year. Currently we pay around £160-190M a week (including our rebate) so if we did (no means a certainty) get a similar plan we would play significantly less. It wouldn't do anything on the free movement front though.
    Loses the Sovereignty argument, too, as we'd have the same relationship with EU Law but no MEPs to vote on our behalf.

As Mystery points out though, Norway is 1/13th of our population.

We don't tend to have Right wing riots in the UK (ignoring frootball) it's the Left that indulges in political violence on that scale.
    I don't remember any specifically left-wing riots, unless you're referring to the Student protest, which was simply a peaceful protest hijacked by *ssholes.

Having a Eurosceptics party like UKIP as MEPs should be a good thing for us because in theory they should be working to get is the best deal rather than giving concessions to Europe.
    [URL="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-meps-attend-the-fewest-european-parliament-votes-of-any-party-in-the-eus-28-countries-10316962.html"]In practice UKIP MEPs simply don't attend or vote.[/URL]
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.