BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ugh need help against tau in a campaign! :(

i need help in a capmpaign i'm useing ig and have the new codex
    the points start 550 abd each territory gives you more points depending on what it is and the max is 800
    i have literally lost every game i have played him even out side this campaign (the most i have done is tie at best one game i lost all but one space marine )
    no tanks with any armor value greater then 12 so no leman russ's
    only need one hq and one troop becuase of the low point limit

i've been runing a ccs (company command squad) with 2 flamers and a medic the colonel has a power sword and a plasma pistol, a pcs (platoon comand squad) with a grenade launcher and the lieutenant has a bolt pistol, one squad with a auto cannon and grenade launcher, another with a missle launcher and grenade launcher, yet again one with a mortar and sniper rifle, and finally one with a heavy bolter and sniper rifle, then i ran a helhound last game now because i got a bonus of 170 pt.s i plan on running all that a valkyrie with missle pods and heavy bolters and a veteran squad with 2 flamers because that is what i could fit

NEED ADVICE ON WHAT SHOULD I RUN AND TACTICS!!!
    2nd ultrmarines company along with cadian 111th "big red ones"

chimeras... guys in chimeras.... guys stop dying.
    http://warhammermusings.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

What he said. Valkyries are decent, too, but tau battlesuits are very good at killing AV12 (if they take missile pods, anyways), so Chimera spam is probably your best bet.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

As a Tau and an IG player I can think of several things that might help, but if you could tell us what your oppennent usually runs it would help. It would also be good to know what you have access to for your guard list to us. If you can I would recommend not taking a platoon and instead taking veteran squads, carapace would give you a save vs. Fire Warrior shooting and you can take 3 special weapons. If you are facing Braodside teams deepstikeing Stormtroopers w/ melta or plasma guns are good,they can also affect tanks and transporst ifyou can get behind him. If you want to use sniper rifles take a squad of Ratlings, they have a higher BS and concentrated fire is the way to go with rending weapons. Sentinels w/ autocannons and Hellhounds or Banewolfs are also good choices. A chimera full of Ogryn w/ a Commisar Lord can also be a nasty suprise. But it really depends on what you are facing most often and how you opponent plays. Any addational info would help to build a winning battle plan.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticaddict View Post
    As a Tau and an IG player I can think of several things that might help, but if you could tell us what your oppennent usually runs it would help. It would also be good to know what you have access to for your guard list to us. If you can I would recommend not taking a platoon and instead taking veteran squads, carapace would give you a save vs. Fire Warrior shooting and you can take 3 special weapons. If you are facing Braodside teams deepstikeing Stormtroopers w/ melta or plasma guns are good,they can also affect tanks and transporst ifyou can get behind him. If you want to use sniper rifles take a squad of Ratlings, they have a higher BS and concentrated fire is the way to go with rending weapons. Sentinels w/ autocannons and Hellhounds or Banewolfs are also good choices. A chimera full of Ogryn w/ a Commisar Lord can also be a nasty suprise. But it really depends on what you are facing most often and how you opponent plays. Any addational info would help to build a winning battle plan.
    yeah srry about that he has a command battle suit sqaud with 2 in it the lesser of the 2 comander, a lone battle suit, a fire warrior squad with pusle rifles, another with carbines, that small 2 maned fast attack vehicle, and so vespids whisch allmost always wind up dying in every game (ccs }: ) he likes to get his battle suits behind ruins then pop them out 6" then shoot then fall back it kills really bad i can't shoot them or do anything about it and i have limited resources so i can't go out and just buy what ever i want i'll tell you what i have tomorrow

First-Captain

for small points battles and with that annoying tau move, shoot, jump back rule (sure, take away the eldar crystal targeting matrix and give it to the Tau...) I would suggest mortar squads.

Sure, you're not going to be able to get rid of his armor save, but you don't need LOS to drop barrage templates.

And at 60 points for a 3 HWT of mortars, it's not a bad choice to add one or two.

Chaplain

second the above, I play weekly against various tau builds and they can be annoying. Mortars definitely, Chimera's a must if possible, and i would say outflank whatever you can as well. If he takes first turn try and avoid having too much out on the table if possible. Tau will almost always win at the shooting at range game. Vets in chimera = good. Flamers = good, get in his face as fast as possible, cook with fire, assault. and take enough units if you can that he has to fire at, for instance 1 or 2 chimeras aren't as good as 3 or 4, at least a couple will make it in his face. Keep everything cheap and simple as well. The temptation is often to take point sinks. In this you want cheap. At least he isn't using a 38 model Kroot squad fully equipped for like 200 pts.
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

one problem i only haver 2 transports a chimera with multi laser, heavy bolter, heavy stuber, a rough terrain mod then the other is a valk as equiped as above

to make it easier i'll type up the list i plon on useing

ccs-50 unit total-110
    flamer X2-10
    medic-30
    power sword-10
    plasma pistol-10
    troops
    pcs-30 unit total-as37
    grenade launcher-5
    bolt pistol-2
    squad A-1-50 unit total-65
    auto cannon-10
    grenade launcher-5
    squad a-2-50 unit total-70
    missle launcher-15
    grenade launcer-5
    squad A-3-50 unit total 60
    mortar-5
    sniper rifle-5
    squad A-4-50 unit total-65
    heavy bolter-10
    sniper rifle-5
    veteran squad-70 unit total 87
    flamerX3-15
    bolt pistol-2
    devil dog-120
    valkyrie-100 unit total-140
    heavy bolters-10
    rocket pods-30

and for the record why i put sniper rifles in squads A-3 and
    A-4 is because they match up with the range of the heavy weapon

Veteran-Sergeant

Try this, I used what you showed in your current list.

Set your CCS in a piece of terrain with a good line of sight (elevation is good) Use the Master of Ordenance to drop a template on his suits (unless they are in area terrain or have shield generators a hit will kill them) combined with an Autocannon this can also be used on his troops and vehicles.

The Chimera squad can move forward until they get in range and fire the multilaser and stubber into any unit he has, and the Vets can fire their grenades into the same or a different target (Krak for suits and vehicles, frag for troops).

The vets in the Valk, Scout move close to him and move 12", deploy and flame his troops, Rocket pod and mulit laser can go into his other troops or his suits or his vehicles.

The Hellhound will take out his troops, is a serious threat to his suits and can hurt his vehicles. If he's smart it will be a prority target and will probably get killed quick but that's ok, it's really there to draw fire away from your troops.

The big problems you have to counter are his mobility and longer range. The problems with your basic Infantry Platoon are you playing to his strong point: allowing him to move freely about the board and allowing him to determine when and where he will engage you.
    Your troops are the life blood of this list: fast, hard hitting and durable. Carapace armor means all of your troops get a save vs. his troops shooting. By making your list, mobile you counter his mobility advantage and can help to dictate when and where you want to fight. By making your units harder hitting you can put a lot of hurt into any unit he has with any unit you have, this forces him to concentrate on one of your units at a time to remove a threat or splitting his fire and risking several of your units getting to close.

Company Command Squad
    Carapace Armour; Master of Ordnance; Heavy Weapons Team: Autocannon; Company Commander

Veteran Squad
    Grenade Launcher (x3); Grenadiers
    Veteran Sergeant: Plasma Pistol
    Chimera; Heavy Bolter;Turret Multi-Laser; Dozer Blade; Extra Armor; Pintle Heavy Stubber

Veteran Squad
    Flamer (x3); Grenadiers
    Veteran Sergeant; Plasma Pistol; Power Weapon
    Valkyrie Assault Carrier; Multilaser; MultipleRocket Pods (x2)

Hellhound Squadron Hellhound
    Heavy Bolter; Dozer Blade; Extra Armor; Pintle Heavy Stubber
    Total Cost: 755

I play something like this with my IG either, all vets in Valks and Vendettas, or all vets in Chimeras with Hellhound and Devil Dog squadrons. It takes some practice but you should give a Tau player fits with your mobility and any of your units should be able to kill anything he is putting on the table. I know that a fast moving army hates loosing it's mobility advantage and once you take that away Tau have a really hard time surviving. Try it out and let me know how it works for you.
    Last edited by plasticaddict; 01-24-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast