BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Are navigators psykers?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

50 86.21%
  • No.

8 13.79%
  • I'm not sure...explain below.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Are Navigators psykers?

So I recently got into an argument with a friend over whether or not Navigators are psykers or not. He claims that they are simply mutants, end of discussion. I counter argued that they are mutants with a developed gene that gives them psykic latent powers but that they do not manifest them in the same way that a Primaris Psyker wielding warp lightning would. Kind of the whole "all navigators are mutants, but not all mutants are navigators" theme I guess? Anyway, we couldn't agree and so I'm here to see what the larger world at large thinks.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

In simplest terms, Navigators are passive, not active. They can see the Warp, and manipulate themselves (or the vessel they're piloting) around the currents of the Warp, but they can't actively generate a Warp Charge. The closest a Navigator comes to an active Psyker-like effect is the Third Eye, which seems to reflect or refract a bit of the Warp when open.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Occuli Imperator

I would disagree with DWest, in one of the HH anthologies a loyalist ship (DA I think) is best by horrors from the warp. A navigator then uses her third eye to perform some kind of witchfire attack on the beasties. Though certainly that and the ability to see the empyrean are all their skills are.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Yep. 100% Psykers. A specific, stable variant of psykers.

Third Eye attack has always been around, and is filthy!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Baron - House Descanso

Mutants and psykers
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/AGRAMAR/astartes/thump_24723461234517490107vr7.gif

I forgot which books but several mention them being psychers. The great houses of the navigators have a higher propensity for being psychic and is the only way for them to rise in rank. They don't practice the violent methods but more meditation to see into and through the warp. It's why in several ship books they are the first to be attacked when the gellar field goes offline. The strongest psychic resonance gets attacked first being the best soul for daemons. Also they have the third eye which sees psychically through the warp.
    Also link [url]http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Psyker[/url]
    Although several times I've read of navigators having a small pychic attack.

Baron - House Descanso

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I forgot which books but several mention them being psychers. The great houses of the navigators have a higher propensity for being psychic and is the only way for them to rise in rank. They don't practice the violent methods but more meditation to see into and through the warp. It's why in several ship books they are the first to be attacked when the gellar field goes offline. The strongest psychic resonance gets attacked first being the best soul for daemons. Also they have the third eye which sees psychically through the warp.
    Also link [url]http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Psyker[/url]
    Although several times I've read of navigators having a small pychic attack.
    Wolfblade is a good source,for example
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/AGRAMAR/astartes/thump_24723461234517490107vr7.gif

Brother-Captain

The Rogue Trader RPG books by Fantasy Flight go into this a fair bit. They're psyker mutants that are hella different mechanically but still drop reality destroying warp fueled doom on fools. I think an analogy is where a psyker is a gateway through which the boundless energy of the warp can be channeled and altered through force of will, a navigator has a much more personal and developed relationship with the warp. It's kind of like a jet engine and a flame thrower, they're very different but it really doesn't matter if you're the guy on fire.

Really depends on how you define "Psyker" and why you're even asking the question in the first place.

In a strictly semantic sense, I say "no" because a Navigator's powers and vulnerabilities are different from those more commonly considered to be Psykers. E.g. Grey Knights recruit Psykers, not Navigators; Psykers have to be soul-bound, Navigators do not (as far as I've read); you probably need a Psyker for that summoning ritual, not a Navigator; etc.

However, if you ask something like "are Navigators considered Psykers for the effects of a Null Rod/Condemnor stake/Pariah/etc?", then I'd say "yes".

So why does it matter to you/your friend if a Navigator is a Psyker or not?

I was of the impression the Third Eye was more like a Medusa effect though- it just happens while, rather than having to be fired.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast