BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default Knights Vs Skyshield: Under the Dome

Here is an interesting rules question. I've been reading the various books that apply and I think there is a problem area. I'm interested in how others interpret it. Consider the Skyshield; I'm talking about underneath not on top. The Knight can't get under there. It doesn't fit. The Skyshield is not ruins and so you can't just plow through it. You can either place the model or you cannot. This means, in theory, that a unit of Long Fangs (or anything with the right weapons really) could get below and just keep shooting at Knights all day long and be safe from close combat. Am I reading this wrong?

It would not, of course, protect them from ranged attacks (beyond what the Skyshield already provides) but nothing prevents other options underneath too to provide ample cover. I ask this because 3+ Knight lists aren't going away. They are, in fact, on the rise. People will be lookign to options to counter it. A building which cannot be destroyed but counts as battlefield debris sounds like such an option. The very size of the Knight (and rules on model placement) seems to prevent it from being able to reach the target in close combat.

First-Captain

It doesn't protect them from ranged attacks and has restricted line of sigh from the legs and as it has to be in your deployment zone, its easy enough for the knight to ignore your unit and move away, with Maelstrom missions encouraging you to move around the board, you wouldn't want to invest too much in this one particular anti knight tactic

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    It doesn't protect them from ranged attacks and has restricted line of sigh from the legs and as it has to be in your deployment zone, its easy enough for the knight to ignore your unit and move away, with Maelstrom missions encouraging you to move around the board, you wouldn't want to invest too much in this one particular anti knight tactic
    At the risk of you insulting me as you did DA and say everything I say is "laughable," I will point out that I already said they were still vulnerable to ranged attacks. I will also point out that the kinds of units I'm talking about sticking under there are the very ones the Knight CANNOT ignore. The size of a Knight and the placement of a Skyshield make it very unlikely that a Knight can just walk around ignoring Heavy Weapons (of all kinds) zapping it from under such a place. In answer to your other comment, the Skyshield isn't expensive. If it locks Knights from ever reaching you in close combat, it is the best few points you ever spent. Maelstrom Mission are a totally different ball of wax and that is a big "what if" so i'm not going to get into that. It suffices to say that you will have plenty of other units to chase idiotic cards. The key heavy weapons or anti-Knight weapons can sit perfectly safe in position, quite likely will be camping a scoring objective at the same time. What I asked was whether I am reading the rules correctly about the Knight's ability to reach said units. This is a rules question, not a sales opportunity.

Chapter-Master

destroy the landing pad.
    Done.
    If it doesn't have rules for blowing it up, then look at the section of the book on how to classify a building, then shoot it and blow it up.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Which would work, if it were a building...

Chapter-Master

It is a building, even if it isn't explicitly classified as a building.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    It is a building, even if it isn't explicitly classified as a building.
    What would be the AV and HPs for a nonspecified building?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    What would be the AV and HPs for a nonspecified building?

Use the rules to determine that. There are rules in the rulebook for determining the armor value of buildings, etc.
    By not having an AV and HP value, GW has declared that not all Landing Pads are created equal.

Is there some other landing pad you're thinking of that it's unequal with?

Also, it being a building is still all in your head. Might as well say a Riptide is a Walker.

A Skyshield is open terrain, the moving on to / off of which requires a Difficult Terrain test. And that's all it is.

Can you destroy a Defence Line as if it were a Small Building?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Is there some other landing pad you're thinking of that it's unequal with?

Also, it being a building is still all in your head. Might as well say a Riptide is a Walker.

A Skyshield is open terrain, the moving on to / off of which requires a Difficult Terrain test. And that's all it is.

Can you destroy a Defence Line as if it were a Small Building?
    That's silly:
    Riptide cannot be a Walker, because it was declared a Monsterous Creature.

The Skyshield is not exactly open terrain, it is a facility with parts.
    Again, not all Skyshield may be equal. I've seen people have it on the ground, and mounted on top of a tower.

You can destroy the defense line with weapons that remove terrain. The defenseline is considered battlefield debris. It's category inherently lets you know that it really can't be destroyed in the normal convention. You would just change the Defense line into ruins.

Nothing you are saying here says that you couldn't use the rules that the rulebook grants, and determine an armor value, etc.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast