BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Which Leman Russ do you take?

There are lots of Leman Russ types, and lots of argument about them. But which ones do you think are a msut have, and which ones arent that good? And how do you use them in your army?

I always take at least one Punisher, They are the weilders of the high strength, 20 shot gatling cannon, with Pask.

I never take the ordinary Lemas russ. Not because I dont not like it, its just I dont have a place for them.

I've been running:

Leman Russ Exterminator
    Knight Commander Pask
    3x Heavy Bolters
    Heavy Stubber
    Camo-Netting

Leman Russ Executioner
    Hull Lascannon
    2x Plasmacannon

Leman Russ Squadron
    2x Leman Russes
    Hull Heavy Bolters

It's worked pretty well, as I find the Executioner a bigger threat to 2+ armor saves than the Demolishers that it replaced. The range also helps it stay out of Melta range. Pask is there to take out transports to slow down said Meltas. The Russes also hang back, rolling around, dropping 2 AP3 pieplate on anything that's not in cover.

Im only using 2.

1 Vanqiusher to handle big armoured nasty things
    1 Punisher for hordes of unpleasant small things

I have 3 armoured sentinals (Autocannon, Plasma Cannon, Las cannon) for cheaper mobile firepower

i gotta say I think that the "classics" are the best out of the Russ's.

Standard LRBT with or without heavy bolter sponsons still gets the job done efficiently and cheaply. Also the Leman Russ Demolisher w/hull las cannon and sponson plasma cannons is still consistently the MVP of my games because its tough and multi tasks so well. The only time I've really been looking at the new varients is when I'm planing an all mechanized list.

But even then I prefer things like valkyrie mounted melta vets to the vanquisher for tank hunting.
    Last edited by RocketRollRebel; 08-03-2009 at 01:50 PM.

LRBT Heavy Bolters
    Demolisher Lascannon, Plasma Cannons
    Demolisher Heavy Bolters(I may convert it to all flamers)

Brother-Sergeant

Personally, I think Leman Russ's are the Pokemon of tanks. I've got a looted LRBT for my Orks already, but there's a wee voice in me head saying 'Gotta loot 'em all!'

I strongly feel that the best 150 points you can spend in a Guard Army is the Standard, Naked, Leman Russ. That is not to decry the uses of the other variants (Exteriminator with Pask to me seems excellent, but is pricey), but when, for the price of Executioners, you can have 4 Standard, the numbers speak for themselves.

If I had to pick the two variants with the best role and potential it would be Exterminator and Executioner, as they both fill useful niches in a guard list.

Brother-Captain

Executioner: 5 plasma cannons anyone? Cover or no cover, you're dead.

Demolisher: S10 AP2 ordnance, kills Land Raiders, Termies, and everything.

Eradicator: The best way to deal with troops in cover is to ignore it completely.

The other variants are either pure fail (Punisher, Vanquisher) or have units that fill the same roles cheaper and better (LRBT, Exterminator).

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    Executioner: 5 plasma cannons anyone? Cover or no cover, you're dead.

Demolisher: S10 AP2 ordnance, kills Land Raiders, Termies, and everything.

Eradicator: The best way to deal with troops in cover is to ignore it completely.

The other variants are either pure fail (Punisher, Vanquisher) or have units that fill the same roles cheaper and better (LRBT, Exterminator).
    As brutal as 5 plasma cannons is, doesn't the demolisher do essentialy the same thing only for fewer points and with the ability to take down AV14 if need be?

one 5" plate doesnt generate as much hits as 3(5) 3" ones and is more random. additionally executor is good VS monsters where the demolisher can only place 1 wound/hit the executor has okay chances to place 3!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast