BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

A Primarch on a period, the galaxy will burn!

Actually that might explain Angron 😜

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbantha View Post
    Neither of these examples take into account the surgery needed to turn a person into a marine. As I said, it's a matter of finding the right combinations to make one. Most chapters have a hard enough time filling their ranks as it is with men fulfilling all the criteria.
    Yes the imaginary super-surgery and genetherapy couldn't possibly apply to women, how would they possible do such a thing?

By just making it up?

Oh... wait...

Your point is based of a made up thing not being able to work on women, when its just as easy for GW to say it does work on women. Can you quote me precisely where it says that the space marine creation process can only work on men?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyolfnai View Post
    A Primarch on a period, the galaxy will burn!

Actually that might explain Angron 😜
    Female primarchs can't have burnt much more of the galaxy than the men did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Your point is based of a made up thing not being able to work on women, when its just as easy for GW to say it does work on women. Can you quote me precisely where it says that the space marine creation process can only work on men?
    There is a line somewhere about how the Marine organs only work on men because they require 'male hormones' to function, the trouble with that is there is no such thing. There are no male exclusive hormones, not even testosterone. But even if it were an actual reason, it's made up, they have complete control over it, they could change it in an instant.
    Last edited by eldargal; 08-25-2016 at 04:54 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

They're gamedesigners goddamit Jim, not a doctor.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Yes the imaginary super-surgery and genetherapy couldn't possibly apply to women, how would they possible do such a thing?

By just making it up?

Oh... wait...

It's in the original creation of a Space Marine article in White Dwarf 98 and reprinted In the Compilation and more recently in the Index Astares apocrypha and possibly in other more recently in other publications, it came up in HH Scars. It says the implants are keyed to male hormones and tissues types so men only Space Marines. It is fantasy though so entirely made up.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

It remains canon in this fictional universe. May be bad RL science, but remains canon.

Actually MM (I think) came up with an interesting point. Why do current chapters have such difficulty recruiting when legions didn't?

Leads to the question, why would you limit your recruiting pool because its so hard to achieve success, ie why use only males if females would give more chance of success based on sheer numbers?

Or is it because the base average male is more robust in terms of physicality?

Is it even simpler - the warrior cultures that the SM recruit from - Fenris, Plains People, Inwit, Baal etc - have admittedly nails women - but don't want to give up their tribe's breeders?

You could say 'well the imperium could get some exceptional female stock with military skills built in from places like Cadia'.

But why would they degrade the Cadian's planetary strengths by recruiting to SM chapters?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

The Marines also draw from other sources, such as Hive Gangers or criminals; anyone who would be good stock and a bit murderous.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

They don't have difficulty they just need less recruits, chapters are only (mostly) 1000 strong not 100000+ With no upper limit like a Legion a restriction imposed by the Imperium itself rather than one of necessity. They have also changed role from the main stay of the military to a special operations force so take casualties at a far lower rate, due to much smaller deployments.

Canon wise it could only be men or women and they chose men they're not using female recruits because they don't just fancy it, it's because the implants won't work on them. That's the fluff

On the subject of Primarchs an important point on them is made in Preatorian of Dorn, they aren't and never have been human they're beings created by the emperor there's no evidence to suggest they have any reproductive capability (not entirely necessary in a functionalily immortal being) or indeed represent a related species they might be unique being in themselves. They certainly possess some very different physical characteristics wings, metal skin etc.
    Last edited by grimmas; 08-30-2016 at 08:52 AM.

IIRC Magnus is described as not even having anything worldly or so mundane as internal organs. I've always believed the Primarchs were effectively daemons bound by weird science to become something more. Might explain their childish emotions, too. :P
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

I'm not sure on full daemons but Vengeful Spirit does suggest that the Emperor did enter into some sort of pact with the chaos gods to allow for their creation. They do all seem to possess a few character flaws don't they 😖

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast