BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Treated as a Forest Dragon of the normal variety, so a monster.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Librarian

No 6 wound ultra elves, if they release a new dragon I'll get some hobbit eagles, twins on an eagle and lord on the dragon.

Well, it's pretty rough to kill the twins when they are on the dragon. If you don't kill both of them in the same turn... they pop back up at full wounds. I'm still not certain how that works with the Eagle given that it's a monstrous beast... but *shrugs* I'll never take it so I'm not too worried about it.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion

Librarian

As its monstrous cavalry they get an extra wound and toughness, so they have more wounds to take and at a higher toughness but are easier to hit, where as on the dragon they have a lower wound and toughness but are harder to hit.... The weirder bit is the bow that heals the mount, as the bow heals the mount but the eagle cant be killed separately, does the bow heal the sisters?
    Last edited by lattd; 05-04-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

My two cents: disappointed at Forest spirit nerf, strength reduction on the various trees, Dryads becoming utter garbage and loss of S4 bows at short range.

Happy with points reductions, enchanted arrows (YES!), massive boost to our casting abilities, huge buffs to Treeman ancients, range of armour piercing options, new characters, new Waywatchers and viable ability to take infantry blocks.

The Wildwood rangers will be excellent and a block of 25-30 will pump out fantastic amounts of damage at high initiative. I approve of them wholeheartedly. Eternal Guard being core AND stubborn without a character is huge, adds a decent infantry block option to our repertoire to hold up enemy chargers. Glade Riders have gone from awful to one of the best units in the game with ambush and magic arrows.

Wild Riders will just melt heavily armoured, high toughness units (Wyssan's wildform to get 15 S6 attacks with AP on the charge. That will obliterate entire units of Warriors of Chaos). I dig the Sisters a lot (people mock curse of Anraheir but I find it quite useful) and they should combo well with flanking Glade Riders or Wild Riders.

Deepwood Scouts and Glade Guard have become truly top-tier imo. Yes, they only have S3 bows, but their magic arrows could potentially be devastating and against slow moving armies, they'll just mop up.

Waywatchers, with their deny armour save shots, will crush units of Chaos Knights and the like (very happy about this ).

Overall, I'm pretty chuffed! Think we'll have a lot of options for unit synergy and the book has good internal balance at first glance. The only real casualty of this book to me is Dryads. They've become utter tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Domine Nox View Post
    Dragon is a Monster for Sisters of Twilight, and IMO not as good as their eagle option.

And in regards to the wound token, you aren't going to snipe a general out of a unit with an arrow, but you can with a cannonball. So unless the Wizard is running around by himself, it is not a valid counterpoint to how effective the wound tokens are.
    My point wasn't that you are going to snipe a general out of a unit with an arrow. My point is that if you shoot the unit with an arrow, they will be forced to spend their wound token on saving that wound, which means they have nothing left when you cannonball them in the face.

So you're back to where everyone else is when it comes to cannon sniping. Namely 'Look Out Sir'. Which is normally pretty reliable.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgar View Post
    My two cents: disappointed at Forest spirit nerf, strength reduction on the various trees, Dryads becoming utter garbage and loss of S4 bows at short range.

Happy with points reductions, enchanted arrows (YES!), massive boost to our casting abilities, huge buffs to Treeman ancients, range of armour piercing options, new characters, new Waywatchers and viable ability to take infantry blocks.

The Wildwood rangers will be excellent and a block of 25-30 will pump out fantastic amounts of damage at high initiative. I approve of them wholeheartedly. Eternal Guard being core AND stubborn without a character is huge, adds a decent infantry block option to our repertoire to hold up enemy chargers. Glade Riders have gone from awful to one of the best units in the game with ambush and magic arrows.

Wild Riders will just melt heavily armoured, high toughness units (Wyssan's wildform to get 15 S6 attacks with AP on the charge. That will obliterate entire units of Warriors of Chaos). I dig the Sisters a lot (people mock curse of Anraheir but I find it quite useful) and they should combo well with flanking Glade Riders or Wild Riders.

Deepwood Scouts and Glade Guard have become truly top-tier imo. Yes, they only have S3 bows, but their magic arrows could potentially be devastating and against slow moving armies, they'll just mop up.

Waywatchers, with their deny armour save shots, will crush units of Chaos Knights and the like (very happy about this ).

Overall, I'm pretty chuffed! Think we'll have a lot of options for unit synergy and the book has good internal balance at first glance. The only real casualty of this book to me is Dryads. They've become utter tripe.
    You make some good points but I have to disagree with the wildwood rangers. I think wildwoodrangers are best used in small units like swordmaster. With only a 6+ save they are to fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    You make some good points but I have to disagree with the wildwood rangers. I think wildwoodrangers are best used in small units like swordmaster. With only a 6+ save they are to fragile.
    Bear is right... as a block they are way too fragile. But as a Flank unit (Example, them with Walk between Worlds on them)- 15-20 would do massive damage. I'd think 20 would be the max size unit before they start to not make back their points... however, slam, them into a flank of a unit in combat already or a shot up unit and they will be golden. All 3 of my Demon armies will be on the lookout for them....

Everything in the WE is fragile other than Treekin and Treemen. Almost all of the units are T3 and have either a 6+ Armor save or a 6+ ward save. Eternal Guard can get a 5+ Armor save. That's pretty much it in terms of defense for WE.

So saying a specific unit can't fill a certain role because "they are to fragile." is a bit unfair.

I've been trying to tell everyone that Dryads are suitable as an anvil unit and people keep telling me that they are too squishy with little damage output. Well, I agree with the damage statement but T4 6+ Ward is pretty fantastic for this book.

I'd offer up an alternative. WE have no traditional anvil units because they are not intended to be in combat for more than a turn or two. They are the fantasy equivalent to Eldar. Focus all your might at a single point, and then dance away into the woods where opponents will have a hard time reaching you (and you gain more advantages).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast