BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Superheavy Owner's Club

As the proud owner (and soon to be actual holder... damn you, UPS, why haven't you invented teleportation yet?) of a fellglaive superheavy special weapons tank, I thought it might be fun to open a thread for the owners of superheavies of all kinds to chime in and discuss the unique opportunities and challenges of these delicious and vicious models. What's it like to paint one of these bad boys? What sorts of conversions and kit-bashes have you applied to the super-heavies in your possession? What is your experience with putting superheavies on the table, both in Apocalypse and Escalation?

Knight owners may as well chime in, too.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

I've had a Baneblade since February, but I've yet to finish painting it. The thing about painting these beasts is, obviously, their immense size. There's so much detail and so much area to cover that it takes quite a while. And you want to be careful, because with regular-sized models, if the color choice is a bit off, or if you make some mistakes here and there, nobody's likely to notice. But, with a gigantic superheavy, those mistakes stand out.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Battle-Brother

Painting them is not bad, an airbrush makes it a bit easier. Just take your time and enjoy painting the details. Playing them is a blast. It adds new dynamics to every game. Some opponents give them to much respect and avoid them, and some waste a whole game trying to down them. I own 3 Baneblade chassis, a valdor, and 2 knights currently. I have also owned 5 additional baneblade chassis, 2 warhounds (1FW and 1 armorcast) a reaver and scratch built warlord (40" tall). Oh and I own a stompa.

In any case, I love superheavies. I love playing apocalypse, i have not actually played escalation, but know I would love it, and I will very soon be playing a knights only list almost exclusively as it is the 40k list I have always wanted. (1500pts, 4 knights) I tried nidzilla for a while, but it is just not the same as big stompy robots and tanks...

Chaplain

Two Revenant Titans, one of each Weapon loadout.,
    One Cobra Super Heavy Grav Tank.
    One Scorpion Super Heavy Grav Tank.
    Two Lynx Super Heavy Grav Tanks, one of each loadout.

I've no space at home for the Phantom Titan or the two Vampire Super Heavy Flyers.
    Nor do I have transportation for them, if I did otherwise I'd have the set.

My first Super Heavy was the Sonic Lance Revenant Titan you can see as my Avatar.
    It's called "Angel of Vengeance".
    I suggest you name your Super Heavies, I think it adds character.

I love playing Apocalypse and have done since my first battle, in which incidentally I didn't field a single Super Heavy but still mustered 4,000 Points of painted and based Eldar.
    That was pretty much all I had at that time.

Now I've got around 20,000 Points many of which will see a lot of action this coming weekend in a big Easter Apocalypse Battle.
    Last year I fielded 16,000 Points out of the 70,000 Points involved.

What's not to like?

Brother-Captain

How do you transport your super heavies? Besides "very carefully." Any recommendations on a particular type of case or what have you?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
    My current plan is to name my glaive "Chalice of Mercy."

I picture it being piloted by chapter serfs - my Knights of Blood are crazed berserkers and can't be trusted to pilot tanks - which has led to the moment where the tank commander asks his crew "what will we do if the heretics try to surrender?"

And the pilot quips in reply "we aren't barbarians - we'll show them Mercy, of course."
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
    My Baneblade is named "Duchess" and it's commanded by Lt. Sterling Archer. The barrel will feature an arrow pointing in the direction of fire, with the words DANGER ZONE.

I've got a Stormblade Superheavy that's spent a year partially assembled, I'll get to it soon... after some.. point. Right now I'm working on my Knight which will be ready for next Friday, and somehow I need to get a Rhino done between now and then, and an Apothecary... (Crap.)

The Stormblade is going to get a red and bone paint job after I figure out how to put the track assembly together. It's name has been chosen and it shall be named: Juggernaut.

Librarian

I have a knight titan, thunderhawk, baneblade and a shadowsword. The details on bigger models are often, well bigger, a lot easier to paint and the larger surfaces allow you to really dry brush in some variation. with the exception of the knight titan all of those are Armorcast/FW Kits that I got second hand (and thankfully at that, dirt cheap).

When fielding these dudes I like to typically always shoot for my opponents super heavy first (especially If im the one who has to shoot first), and continue to do so till it or mine is annihilated, or... if he opens fire first on other units Ill consider the same activity acceptable.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Rissan4ever View Post
    How do you transport your super heavies? Besides "very carefully." Any recommendations on a particular type of case or what have you?
    KR Multicase.
    I cannot reccomend them enough.
    They do custom cut foam specifically shaped for models, both large and small.

If you're gonna spend a small fortune on a resin kit, you're surely not gonna cheapskate out with an old T-shirt and a battered cardboard box.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast