BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Skyway Project by Burn In Designs

We have just launched our new Kickstarter The Skyway Project. It is a modular terrain system designed to pull the game more to the center of the board instead of the edges. This forces players to think more tactically instead of just marching forward. Being modular you can set them in in different combinations so you are not always playing with the same table design.

Take a look.
    [url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burnindesignsceo/the-skyway-project-gaming-at-a-higher-level[/url]

First-Captain

detail level certainly looks nice, but the scale on those stairs is way off - who builds steps half a metre high? Helps with playability, certainly, but hurts visual appeal - guess you had to make a compromise there, and went more towards the gaming side and less the cinematic.
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

That is exactly what we went with on the compromise. I wanted to make the sets playable first. I have too much terrain already that I can't really used because even though it is designed for the models they don't fit. Even the GW stuff has this problem with tall models.

The smaller steps just are completely unplayable in most games. You end up putting models in spots that are just asking for them to fall and break. Nothing is more annoying than chipping a model because it fell off the terrain. If we just had to deal with 25mm bases it isn't a problem but with 40-60mm bases being more common you need to account for them. Also I hate it when you get free movement because you can't stop a model in the middle of a staircase or level transition. This eliminates some of that problem. Even the elevator piece was designed this way so there is an intermediate level in it also.

First-Captain

by the way, can you "wedge" a model's base into the ladder visible in your third picture? That used to work with GW LotR Uruk-Hai siege ladders as long as the model was not too heavy and the base not too thickly covered - made for some rather stylish siege scenes with lots of Uruks clambering up the ladders one after another, usually even without tumbling once you touched one to move it Just a thought... but hard to do with all the different base sizes around...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

That was the idea for the spacing. If you tuck the base under the step the model sits securely. During the testing on one of the prototypes I broke a old heavy D&D model and said there had to be a better way.

Brother-Captain

Unfortunately shipping fees to Aus contribute to pushing this out of my price range, but I enjoy the cybernetic vibe this set has. It's nice to have scenery that is practical and not 'Earth with a few bitz' or 'space gothic'. The way station and elevators are particularly good. Out of curiosity is there only one colour of acrylic for those?
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Sorry about the shipping. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about. That has been a thorn in every small companies side since the beginning. The only way to get any real discounts for shipping from any carrier is to send a ton of business their direction. Sadly we are not there yet.

The acrylic parts will eventually be offered in different colors but for now we are going to vote on the color for all of them. This is to keep the prices a little more reasonable and easier to deliver. Though if there are enough orders we may offer a couple of colors. We just need to get the final numbers.

If you are interested in getting something and have gamer friends I recommend teaming up to order. It is cheaper. I hate sending packages to people where the shipping is the same or more than the items. If it were a regular order and not the Kickstarter we could possibly work something out. With the Kickstarter I am kind of locked in on the shipping.

Do you have any plans to try and get these kits into stores post kickstarter?

We may try with some local, Chicagoland game stores. We are not setup for national level sales through stores. We normally do direct sales because we do allot of custom options. For example the street signs in the set can be custom engraved so when you contact us to order them we work out custom names with you. We have standard names on all the stuff now but it is nice to have that extra touch. Also for the acrylic parts we offer 30+ different colors so shipping that many options to stores is a problem.

After all the Kickstarter pledges ship we will have the whole set in our regular catalog.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick update we just posted update 3 for the Kickstarter -https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burnindesignsceo/the-skyway-project-gaming-at-a-higher-level/posts

We are adding new apartment modules to the line. These will be available in April as part of our normal sales line. Here is the preview picture of one of the new designs.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick update we just posted update 3 for the Kickstarter -https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burnindesignsceo/the-skyway-project-gaming-at-a-higher-level/posts

We are adding new apartment modules to the line. These will be available in April as part of our normal sales line. Here is the preview picture of one of the new designs.

We hit our funding goal! Thank you all! We have allot of work ahead of us and we are ready.

[url]http://bit.ly/OEmV2n[/url]

- - - Updated - - -

We hit our funding goal! Thank you all! We have allot of work ahead of us and we are ready.

http://bit.ly/OEmV2n

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast