BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Cerastus knight castigator restoration project.

Hey folks,

I was able to pick up a knight castigator for cheaps from somebody who bought it off e-bay (he even suspected it was a recast). So I took it off his hand, promising it would receive some TLC.

It went from looking like this:

To this (after some disassembly and an isopropanol and ethanol bath):

I'll try to get some good pictures in a lightbox etc. from this model. It's my first titan size project of my own, so I'm a bit out of my comfortzone in terms of photography.

Chapter-Master

wow, that is amazing
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Occuli Imperator

Very nice renovation
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

That is fricking astonishing.

Amazing save!

AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks folks! I am pretty pleased with how it turned out as well... And the missus was very happy that I only had to spend $90 on that model too because of the bad state it was in...

Battle-Brother

Awesome save!

Beautiful, stunning knight!
    I was wondering... does isopropanol + ethanol work for any resin? I bought an old model scorpion off ebay and was wondering what would be the best strategy to strip the paint.
    Last edited by Arthfael; 06-20-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo

Veteran-Sergeant

Isopropanol is something I'd put my money on. Ethanol, not 100% sure. I bought some of that because the pharmacy was closed (they usually get me the technically pure isopropanol for a reasonable price)... But it did the trick too.

Safest approach is to just take a small bit of the model and test it while keeping a very close eye on it. But, isopronanol has yet to fail me and eat into anything but paint. I've gotten some insane amount of 100+ infantry guardsmen in plastic clean with that stuff in under 3 hours with minimal scrubbing needed... and the models themselves were unscathed.

Chaplain

A textbook case why I should read the text instead of just looking at the first photo.

Spectacular effort mate. I would never have believed a model like that could be rehabilitated so well! Don't suppose you have some more shots of the base? Even that looks magnificent.

Veteran-Sergeant

Not yet... The photography (especially propper lighting) is a handfull for a model of this size. I might do a good photoshoot in the near future, but right now, I'm grading exams (being a teacher myself)... So I'm a bit locked up in my cave untill the start of the summer holidays here.