BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Any good house rules for vehicle damage table?

Howdy, all.

A friend of mine and I are working on a set of 40K house rules that we think are more in line with common sense. Just to give you one example, we've changed assault distance to 6 + D6 inches, instead of 2D6 inches (it seems silly that you could fail a 3" charge when you always walk 6").

At any rate, I'm looking for ideas on the vehicle damage table. I've read a fair amount of historical accounts of tank battles, and when a tank's armor is penetrated, there's definitely a better than one in six chance that the tank will be rendered totally inoperable (at least for the duration of the current battle).

Does anyone out there have a good alternative to the current vehicle damage table? It would be much easier to change just the table, rather than trying to revise the whole mechanic of shooting vehicles, but if anyone has any ideas on the subject, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Brent

Chuck it out and double hull points for a penetrating hit, easy one less table. Also it should probably be 6+D3 or you are significantly increasing the average range.

Chapter-Master

Choose the greater of 2D6 or 6" works better than both, dropping the minimum for difficult terrain.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Once all hull points are gone vehicle stays in the game but any glances become pens and all hits have +1 on the damge table.

Brother-Sergeant

I can't remember who came up with this but:-
    Saving throw against all glancing hits. Roll required depends on the AP of the weapon.
    AP 6 - save on 2+
    AP 5 - save on 3+
    AP 4 - save on 4+
    AP 3 - save on 5+
    AP 2 - save on 6+
    AP 1 - no save

I really like this rule. It doesn't really affect high AV vehicles as most weapons that have the strength to penetrate the armour have decent AP values anyway, but it goes someway to preventing light armour from being glanced to death by small arms fire.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by PaD View Post
    I can't remember who came up with this but:-
    Saving throw against all glancing hits. Roll required depends on the AP of the weapon.
    AP 6 - save on 2+
    AP 5 - save on 3+
    AP 4 - save on 4+
    AP 3 - save on 5+
    AP 2 - save on 6+
    AP 1 - no save

I really like this rule. It doesn't really affect high AV vehicles as most weapons that have the strength to penetrate the armour have decent AP values anyway, but it goes someway to preventing light armour from being glanced to death by small arms fire.
    The only real problem with this is that it the high strength low AP weapons out of proportion. Multilasers S6 AP 6 for example. I'd like to just see a straight 4+ save against any glances.

You could even give high AP weapons the same +1/+2 they get on the damage table to the roll. This makes them better at getting Glances without making the other weapons worse.
    Last edited by This Dave; 02-26-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Thought of new idea after posting