BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Starting Eldar, Will my clown dreams be killed?

Hey guys!

So i recently picked up warhammer (3 months ago) and have gotten very into it with a group of rugby buddies, we just played our 50th game of warhammer today (I dominated with my IG army woot woot)

However I am being offered a very large eldar army for cheap, $1350.00 worth of models for $210.00 and am just wondering what are peoples thoughts on harlequins?

To me this is a big driver to me doing an eldar army, they have a super cool fluff behind them and I really like the idea of them for close combat, what are people's thoughts on them? Unfortunatly they are an elite so I wouldn't run a ton of them but ya just curious on everyone's 2 cents

Thanks ~

harlequins. such fragile. very expensive. so killy, wow

Harlequins are difficult. They are very expensive, very fragile and while they pack a punch they can be hard to use. They need a Shadowseer to have a chance at avoiding combat and the fact Veil of Shadows requires a psychic test sucks. But they do pack a punch and they are beautiful models so worth getting especially at that price.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Yeah... apparently Phil Kelly still plays 3rd edition exclusively.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

Okay but they arn't like useless right? That's good to know that they serve a purpose, and to be honest I love the whole weak model but packs a punch thing, i love glass cannon models (Or character roles in games ^_^)

Thanks

Open to more comments on them though!

With that price, i would "buy that for a dollar" (Robocop), so BUY THEM! You can get awesome allies for your IG, if you want to make your opponent cry even more
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

They aren't useless no, they just require rather more finesse than Eldar normally require (which is still a lot) and they have the same problem all Eldar CC units have at the moment in that they don't have a particularly good delivery system while being relatively fragile. Harlequins get around it a bit by having Veil of Wossname so they don't absolutely NEED a transport they can't assault out of to survive and they have their 5++ which helps a bit against Overwatch but still can be tough to use them. they usually do well if you get them into combat though.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

For me, Harlequins demonstrate the extremes of the Eldar army.

Hit like an absolute tonne of bricks, and are arguably as effective against a horde of cheap troops as they are against your enemy's most elite unit.

But......they are horribly fragile. Either careless use or a duff batch of dice rolls, and they'll be dee ee dee, dead.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

If they keep getting killed, try pairing them up with Karandras for infiltrate, stealth, extra punch and potential 2+ wound tanking. Not tres fluffy (could be a good Great Harlequin conversion opportunity) but fragile eldar combat troops need the help.

First-Captain

also, while verging on cheese - couldn't you just use Dark Eldar allies and run a squad of their better Harlequins (or, to be precise, better Shadowseer...)?
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Brother-Captain

They don't even hit very hard, and they're just going to be shot to death with ease before they get there. If you want close combat, Striking Scorpions are your guys. It's a shame because I love Harlequins, they're easily one of my most favourite things in all of 40k, but they're just so bad in-game. For some reason GW have decided put their hands over their ears and pretend their rules don't need fixing and are still just as good as back in 4th edition... oh except they now have to cast Veil of Tears. Apparently they needed nerfing.

Just house-rule them or something, they're dire and don't reflect the feared and deadly power of the Harlequins at all. They drop like flies and don't hit that hard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast