BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

May I request a closeup shot of the teensy Grot helicopter - it's so cute!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

I came for the Thousand Sons and stayed for the grots!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    May I request a closeup shot of the teensy Grot helicopter - it's so cute!
    Sure thing, it counts as the Vendetta's Heavy Bolter sponsons (range is still measured from under the wing however).

Last edited by Proiteus; 02-18-2014 at 04:39 AM.
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Well everything is going fantastically well, I'm half way through the last squad leaving 22 days to update and create some objective markers. Well, that is what I'd like to say however.....

NOB BIKERS BANNED BY GW EVENTS TEAM!!!
    After mentioning my intentions to go to Throne Of Skulls with my Grots to someone I know, I was made aware of the new 'Warrior's code's strict rules on proxies and how the event team have been enforcing it lately.
    I wasn't worried since the grots were included in the WW event pack as a ideal example of a converted army in the past, but I thought it best to get the green light so I emailed them some pictures. The Grots not a problem however they've banned my use of the Ork allies on terms that it will cause confusion when fielded with a Imperial Guard army using gretchin.

I can understand where they're coming from, but it's only 6 miniatures and with the exception of the Warbot all clearly modeled as orks and with a different appearance to the gretchin guard army, I'm mentioned this and the fact most opponents will understand when given a copy of my army list. Plus I have very little time to create replacement units and thus pleaded to be allowed to use them this once, their reply was...

After consulting with the team I'm afraid that our concerns are uniform so the answer is no. I understand that you are confident that you can explain the difference but that does not change the reality that the models being used are from the same codex, but actually aren't.
    So this has left me feeling frustrated and a little down as that a month's work wasted and was the army's centerpiece, even worst I'm in trouble with a 515pt hole to fill in just under 22 days!

Three options remain, which will depend on how much time I have left after the last squad and 4 vehicles have been painted.
    • Option 1: Baneblade Battle Cruiser – Convert a Baneblade up as a Battle Cruiser on land which will fill up the gap nicely, but will require a lot of work and not something I want to rush!
    • Option 2: More Tanks – I have several tanks leftover from the previous version of the army so I might be able to improve and repaint 3 or 4 to replace the Nob Bikers.
    • Option 3: Take the Thousand Sons... Again!

We'll have to wait a see, diz bin a sad day for da grot rebelz!

Gretchin drawn by Matt Ward (no not that one)

EFFECTS ON THE THOUSAND SONS?
    This also makes me wonder if this means my plans to expand the Thousand Sons with an allied marine attachment will be banned as well. Any allied marines were going to be in Maximius armour instead of the more fancy red and gold iron armour that my Grey Knight units wear to offer a clear distinction of the two, but now I'm not sure they'll allow that?
    Last edited by Proiteus; 02-26-2014 at 10:48 AM.

while I am sympathetic to your plight as they are nicely done. I have been in a similar situation on the other end of the stick (one that might have sparked it off to some extent) I used to play a guy who had converted a necrork army (orks with necron allies). whilst an interesting concept his execution was horrendously flawed. namely because both the orks and the necrons had been converted to have bitz from the other race incorporated into them and he never consistently said which was which between games. so what might have been a dakkajet one game was then a nightscythe in another. to make matters even worse he then switched to a necron army whist still using the same models. his warboss on bike/destroyer lord was half a necron centipede with a soulgrinder torso and some vehicle gubbinz. the knob bikers/canoptek wraiths were the remaining bits of the centipede with either meganob bitz or something along those lines for the torsos.

I remember there being a bit of a kerfuffle at one ToS he took them to.

though those gyro nobz are nicely done, which is a shame.

I know the one, lovely models but a massive confusing mess of an army. I can remember the confusion on the facebook gallery when his massive centipede like creature was posted and everyone was confused to what it was, I knew it was his Warboss from seeing it at TOS myself.

I've learned from my own sadly similar mistakes such as my 'Zanatorian Machine Cult' army that used Tzeentch Daemon rules because at the time Necrons were dull and ineffective to play against at the time. It was similar in that it had great conversions but was also a confusing mess, made worst by the fact daemons were rarely played and thus players didn't know neither the model nor the unit they represented.

All the deamons were represented by robots, going from left to right: Chariot Of Tzeentch, Screamer, Horror, Objective Marker, Nurglings, flamer, changling and Daemon Prince. Needless to say the army was sold off and forgotten. Oh and the winged robot above at the top was my Lord Of Change, the black hooded robots were plaguebearers.

Course some of the more best conversions were reused in my Thousands Sons for Jericho weaponsmiths and servo skulls.

Since then I made sure to make it as clear as possible what a model represents, so that my opponent should require no more than a brief introduction before the game.

Use the biker nobz as rough riders (you still get to take the cool models even if the riders are a bit pants in game) and add in a new grotknight. Then you only have only one model to do to fill your points quota.

GROTZ WITH PERSONALITY!
    Originally the grots were simply a guard arms and torso with goblin head and legs and were very uniform... But that ain't like a greenskin! So I decided to make add some variety but mixing in a few extra bitz from the gretchin, catachan, night goblin and skaven sets, aside from the squad markings I also gave each Warband/squad it's on unique look.

THE BOOM BLASTAZ: For grots who love all things explosives, each grot has some sort of explosive on them.

THE BOOTY HUNTAZ: For Grots that love to loot and trade, basic pirate feel with their equipment looks more snazzy then other squads.

THE DEFF DIGGAZ: A Warband Of Grots that are good and digging whether it be a trap, a trench or just a hole to hide in. Gave them a bit more drybrushing and digging equipment details.

As you can see they all have the same equipment; autoguns for lasguns, rokkit launchas for grenade launchers and autocannons. That's now all my infantry complete now it's on to the vehicles, which thanks to a new sponging technique I've learnt may go rather quickly which leaves just the Baneblade which I hope to have mostly built by tomorrow!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    GROTZ WITH PERSONALITY!

THE BOOM BLASTAZ: For grots who love all things explosives, each grot has some sort of explosive on them.

THE BOOTY HUNTAZ: For Grots that love to loot and trade, basic pirate feel with their equipment looks more snazzy then other squads.

THE DEFF DIGGAZ: A Warband Of Grots that are good and digging whether it be a trap, a trench or just a hole to hide in. Gave them a bit more drybrushing and digging equipment details.

Wow thats some amazing Grots you've made and painted, I'm looking forwards to the Baneblade...
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Better than Nob Bikers
    Two long modelling sessions and the Battle Bruiser is almost complete, all it needs now is it's sponsons, heavy bolter turrets and a few other details. When it came to attaching the main turret I decided it was better to build up a mechanism with cogs and other bitz under the turret than try and remove the details off the hull, I then attached the turret using two large magnetic disks. I'm also working to magnetise the upper hull so it can be swapped out for a one with the main gun attached if I desire to use a shadowsword in the future.

The autocannon that was going to go on the back was been replaced with a large chimney, so it will instead either be attached as a small turret on top of the main one like on the ork battlewagon, or be a represented by a grot manned tripod mounted autocannon on the landing pad.

Speaking of which that was the last thing added, the kopta platform adds to the battleship like feel and may include the little Grot Kopta as an optional detail, I say optional because I'm worried adding the kopta might make the back look too cluttered?

Providing I can get it done in time, this will likely make a more cooler centerpiece than the Nob Bikers, I've got a few idea for a few crewmen but will have to see what time permits.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    Better than Nob Bikers
    Two long modelling sessions and the Battle Bruiser is almost complete....

Looking good so far, and keep the tinsy koppta, there's no such thing as cluttered when it comes to Grots
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast