BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Which way to do black?

Hey guys so i've been thinking about my RG paint scheme, while not too much is done for me to make up for, i was wondering has anyone had tremendous success with painting with Adeptus Battlegrey and then washing with Badab Black until you get a naturally highlighted black? I've seen it done on a helmet but was wondering what your opinions were as far as full range of models? Admittedly it's faster with my spray gun then line highlighting every single model, but i don't want a half behind look, especially on characters, but i want to maintain the cohesion of the army look....anyway any pics you might have would be appreciated.
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Chapter-Master

youve already posted this thread!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Occuli Imperator

WAshing Adeptus battlegrey is the only way I paint black. make sure you put a healthy amount of it on there and watch that it doesn't soak in one area. I love this style so much that I don't even have a standard black any more.

Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    WAshing Adeptus battlegrey is the only way I paint black. make sure you put a healthy amount of it on there and watch that it doesn't soak in one area. I love this style so much that I don't even have a standard black any more.

Duke
    care to post some examples?

I too am a fan of using a Badab wash over a lighter grey color. However I would caution, it does result in the black looking more like a ceramic than a metallic.

I am also a fan of using edge highlighting on Blacks.

It basically boils down to this question;

Do you want the edges or the center to be lighter colored? If the edges then edge highlighting, if the center than washing. Of course you could get really crazy and do both and have a really dynamic piece!

My very first army is a Black Legion CSM army and I have done a huge number of guys using the extreme highlight method. Painting chaos black and highlighting edges with grey.

The biggest problem I have with this method is it doesn't fit with the painting style for anything else I do. If I have red, bronze, flesh tones etc I use a more realistic method of washes, highlights and shadows but the black looks a little more stylized.

I would say it depends on your desires for the look of the model, and your painting style. For me I would love to go back and redo my models using something like payne grey as the base of my black then shading/highlighting it. Live and learn I guess

Battle-Brother

i recently started painting my black models with a base of charradon granite followed by 2-3 coats of a badab black wash. same idea as the battle gray, just darker. i have yet to do it this way to a vehicle or larger model, but on space marines, (Black Templars) it's working great. i was never one to do alot of hilighting on my models. this makes them look nicer with less work, i think.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by TopToffee View Post
    care to post some examples?
    In this section of the forum look for "dukes rhino freehand" all the.black k. Those rhinos is what i described.

If I get some time tomorrow I'll take a few pics

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    youve already posted this thread!
    sorry internet issues in the big city...go figure like it's 1998 or something....

Quote Originally Posted by Tetz View Post
    My very first army is a Black Legion CSM army and I have done a huge number of guys using the extreme highlight method. Painting chaos black and highlighting edges with grey.

The biggest problem I have with this method is it doesn't fit with the painting style for anything else I do. If I have red, bronze, flesh tones etc I use a more realistic method of washes, highlights and shadows but the black looks a little more stylized.

I would say it depends on your desires for the look of the model, and your painting style. For me I would love to go back and redo my models using something like payne grey as the base of my black then shading/highlighting it. Live and learn I guess
    I would have to say that is more akin to my method of painting as well...

Quote Originally Posted by templar143 View Post
    i recently started painting my black models with a base of charradon granite followed by 2-3 coats of a badab black wash. same idea as the battle gray, just darker. i have yet to do it this way to a vehicle or larger model, but on space marines, (Black Templars) it's working great. i was never one to do alot of hilighting on my models. this makes them look nicer with less work, i think.
    i was told for vehicles to spray it and that takes care of the larger open spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    In this section of the forum look for "dukes rhino freehand" all the.black k. Those rhinos is what i described.

If I get some time tomorrow I'll take a few pics
    thanks man.

In general i'm going to test paint one up, and i already have a few marines and characters painted up, but we'll see what happens. Do you guys think it's better to strip already painted models and redo or mix them in?
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Hey did you get pictures? And would like I said in my other thread a Black Basecoat, and then an adeptus battle grey be better before I highlight and use the Badab wash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast