BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Would you mind someone using 40mm bases on 5 converted Nob Bikers?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 31.03%
  • No

20 68.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Would you allow 40mm bases on 5 converted Nob Bikers?

If you got a minute I'd like some feedback regarding some conversions of mine purely from a gameplay perspective.

See I've recently converted some upright Cyborks to use as Nob Bikers for a fully themed greenskin army with the bodies mounted on wheels and the bike's Dakkacannons attached to their backs. They've turned out great however because of their appearance when they were mounted on biker bases it left a lot of unused space which didn't look very good. So I'd decided it would be better to mount them on 40mm bases as they'd suit the models much better as you can see in the picture.

But I thought it best to ask for people's opinion on the matter because the last thing I want to do is be accused of modelling for an advantage! The 40mm bases seemed the best alternative since their area size is just a bit smaller than biker bases, also I'd like to add that the Warboss is on a 40mm wide biker base. Also in the event a strict opponent suggests that this modelling choice is to protect them from blasts I'd offer to keep the models 1 inch apart instead of 2 so he could still hit a minimum of 3 models as he would if they were mounted on biker bases, after all I'm in this game to have fun with a cool looking army. But it never hurts to ask and see how the majority of players would except them, especially since I maybe attending tournaments with them. So...

Would you have any problems with my converted Nob Bikers being mounted on 40mm bases instead of regular biker bases?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Battle-Brother

I love them, and would have a great time facing those.
    If I can make a suggestion on how to deal with a grouchy opponent-- make a couple cardboard templates of the "extra" part of the normal base. That way if there's a question, you can just put the templates down in front of them. Cheap, easy, and should avoid any crazy rules lawyering.

As Cybork Nobz? Yes, no doubt. These are boss.

But as Bikerz? No. Their 'footprint' is too small; it's a bit unfair. Of course, as they are, they would look stupid on bike bases, so I see your conundrum,

IMO, to make them Nob Bikerz, you just need a bit more converting. Mount them on the front of bike bases, and give each a little oiler grot on a monowheel as a minion. Gives you plenty of scope for some little mini-diorama conversions, which would look completely amazing, as well as providing an in-game footprint that made them appropriate to represent bikes.

Man, but I love these conversions. Great, great work.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

A friend of mine just messaged me saying...

Surely you placing them on 40mm bases shouldn't be an issue, how is it any different to players who have converted Nobs on larger bikes and mounted them all on 40mm x 75mm like this unit, those sized bases would effect the game and certainly lessen the amount of hits taken by blasts but players wouldn't mind those.

I think he may have a point, what do you think?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Chaplain

As nice as those are, I wouldn't play against them unless they were on their correct sized bases.

From personal experience it makes a HUGE difference in game.
    An old opponent of mine did that swap the other way around on some wonderful Nurgle Obliterators he had converted.
    I played against them a lot and in game they played very differently to any other Obliterators that I've come across.
    Particularly, they got into spaces you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

It might not appear to be much of a difference, but it can be.

I would happily allow you to use the 40mm bases. The thing is the actual bike models don't come with a base in the 1st place, so it doesn't really matter what size bases you use.

Librarian

No i would not and here is why.

I would be okay with using the larger 40-75mm base as the larger base doesn't make them more maneuverable. (see forgeworld ork warbos on a bike)
    But using them on a smaller and different shaped base. your going from an calvary base thats much longer while not wider per say its the length that would drastically impact the maneuverability of the nob biker unit.

If you want them on the larger 40-75mm biker bases i would not have a problem with that but going smaller poses a problem for me. i see that the intent is for a better base but it just feels like away to cheat. I would consider it modeling for advantage. atleast that what i would look like.

Personally, I'd be totally okay with it. However, I'd recommend keeping some standard bike bases on hand, and just blu-tac the 40mm bases on top of them if your opponent complains. Not pretty, but a quick and easy way of temporarily standardizing them.

What about putting the monowheel Nob a bit forward of the halfway point on the bike base and then putting a long trail of smoke and/or burnt rubber down the back half of the base, i.e. they're going so fast they're about to leave their own bases behind?
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

I'd be plenty fine with it. It's a game.

www.queencityguard.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast