BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Question About Basilisks?

Hey so i'm a new warhammer 40k player and looking at some heavy supports, I find the basilisk a very cool tank for IG, however i read the range is 36"-270", So isn't this tank kinda not-usable in a normal 1500 game on a 8 by 4 table? Since you'll only get 1-2 turns of shots with it on a 48 inch long table?

Maybe im missing something though!

Thanks<3

The Basilisk is a great tank - inexpensive and it drops a S9 pie plate on your foes. The 36" minimum means that most players put their tanks with their backs to the wall (so to speak) and in the corners. You'll find that you shoot diagonally across the field quite often - sometimes toward the opposite end of your deployment zone.

Except for a few armies, your opponents will usually keep units in their own deployment zone to cover objectives or shoot heavy weapons. I usually take a Basilisk in my IG lists and I rarely have a shortage of targets.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Actually Basilisks can fire at things within the 36" range, they just oddly have to do it indirectly (page 34 under Barrage). Not super accurate but then again as thinly armored as a Basilisk is you usually want to keep it behind terrain if you can anyways.

Chaplain

Ahh, This Dave, I think u should read that page again. Or maybe I should cuz I don't see how a barrage gives a basilisk the ability to shoot out of it's 36-120 range. The barrage rule is for firing out of line of sight not range.
    Last edited by sangrail777; 01-03-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by sangrail777 View Post
    Ahh, This Dave, I think u should read that page again. Or maybe I should cuz I don't see how a barrage gives a basilisk the ability to shoot out of it's 36-120 range. The barrage rule is for firing out of line of sight not range.
    Check the first bullet point under Barrage on page 34. The second sentence is "This means they can fire at a target they they do not have a line of sight to and/or a target that is within the weapon's minimum range (if it has one)."

To me this means it can fire at something closer than 36" since that is within the minimum range.

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    Check the first bullet point under Barrage on page 34. The second sentence is "This means they can fire at a target they they do not have a line of sight to and/or a target that is within the weapon's minimum range (if it has one)."

To me this means it can fire at something closer than 36" since that is within the minimum range.
    I thought "within" meant that it needed to be within the 36"-120" range.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Yeah, I'm gonna go with This Dave and I don't speak or read the same kinda English.
    The very same wording for your belief is the very same wording for mine....
    Thx Cactus, I agree with your point of view.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Brother-Captain

It's always fun to think of the basilisk as lobbing a shell straight up in the air and hoping it doesn't land on itself. That's pretty much what is happening and it had drifted back on itself on me before. Not a fun result.

Chaplain

I liked it better when you could use a Basilisk direct fire as an assault gun. It's not a mortar like a Griffon or Colossus which can't drop the muzzle and shoot right at something. But I guess the ability to shell pretty much anything on the table is a good trade off.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    I liked it better when you could use a Basilisk direct fire as an assault gun. It's not a mortar like a Griffon or Colossus which can't drop the muzzle and shoot right at something. But I guess the ability to shell pretty much anything on the table is a good trade off.
    The number of times I've wished to just lower the muzzle on the Basilisk and just say "fire!" have been too many times to count. lol I've actually seen a Paladin do it once, when part of my unit's artillery platoon got mixed up in an advance through Ramadi in 09'. We needed a house shelled, the gun commander said he didn't have the range, and my captain said "just fire direct" and sure enough he did. Blew the house a new exit hole. Hehehe.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast