BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Both my FLGS manager and GW manager have confirmed new editions
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    How have you managed to completely miss all the screen shots of the new White Dwarf saying, literally, that there is a new edition on its way?

Do you just live with your head in the sand?

Attachment 8753

Quote from WD:
    "24 May sees the launch of a new edition of the game..."
    You might want to read more than just that one post. Context matters.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Thanks guys - yes, that's what I meant. Sorry - posting by phone.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Fly Lord

via [URL="http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/3750/592379.page"]DakkaDakka[/URL] (from the Overlords Podcast) 4-11-2014

-- So Guys I heard from a pretty reliable source that got to sit down with the book for a few minutes here is what I can remember from what was said.

1. 4ed consolidate in to combat is in
    2. If you fail to cast a power you can't cast it the rest of the game
    3. Every unit including vehicles will now score
    4. Unbound armies may not contest objectives
    5. Lords of war are in
    6. Escalation and stronghold remain as they are now
    7. Vehicles will be harder to kill the chart changes once more.
    8. The book will come out in 3 options Art like warhammer visions, Fluff book, and one that only contains rules and that one is about as think as the current SM book.
    9.difficult terrain is just -2 inches
    10. Wound allocation has changed a bit.not super clear as to how.
    11. D-weapons toned down but he was unclear as what that meant so from the sounds of it they will still be super ugly. --
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Hmm. Salty if you ask me.....

Consolidating into combat hasn't been seen since what, end of 3rd Edition?

Fail to cast = Never cast. Possibly misconstrued, as Warhammer equivalent is that a failed cast prevents that Wizard further casting for that phase.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Hmm. Salty if you ask me.....

Fail to cast = Never cast. Possibly misconstrued, as Warhammer equivalent is that a failed cast prevents that Wizard further casting for that phase.
    Not as much as you would think. I take all rumors with a BIG grain of salt, but this particular set rings true on a lot of levels from both a marketing and application standpoint. They have been losing money on vehicles because aside from fliers they are largely pointless. The rules have evolved to be so deadly to vehicles that nobody I know really makes much use of them. Making them durable enough to survive longer would be a desperate hope to be able to move them again. Allowing everything to score likewise gives vehicles and Fast Attack like Bike, etc. more value since they can often get to objectives as the clock runs down. I'm still dubious about just how durable they can make vehicles with a minor chart change considering they have literally DROWN the system in potent vehicle killing spam, but it does behoove them to try. I just think they will fail. The underlying problem is that firepower so far outstrips armor both in volume of fire and the ability to penetrate that just altering a chart isn't going to do squat. The issue isn't vehicles, it is the entire rest of the game. I hope there will be a lot more perks than just saying Unbound Armies don't get to contest. That won't do squat. I've been playing with the numbers and the average Unbound army will easily table a Force Org constrained one on a regular basis. Not being able to contest isn't going to help. If the other rumor about everything being able to score is true, there won't be any real downside to taking seven Riptides or even a bigger flying circus. Of course, the rumor saying Stronghold and Escalation will remain the same seems unfortunate because Fortifications needed SERIOUS work. Outside of an Aegis or a Skyshield there isn't much point in taking any of them. I find it hilarious that a Bastion, for example, is supposed to be this serious defensive point. In reality they are horrible deathtraps which limit the fire of those inside them, get blown up pretty much as easily as vehicles, and even when they don't implode tend to further adversely affect those inside both in their offensive ability as well as survival. Consolidating into combat and simply taking 2" off difficult terrain sounds like an attempt (and a feeble one) to offset the devastating blow they did to close combat. It is another band-aid fix that fails to address the real problem which is volume of fire. The poorly thought out (and clearly not really game tested) patches sound VERY Games Workshop to me. None of these things addresses the real problem, attempting instead to hand a dying man aspirin. Yeah, I believe them.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 05-11-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Chapter-Master

That was my first thought, too.

Yes, but man, what a boon it would be to my Blood Angels if we could roll from fight to fight like that to avoid enemy shooting. It might explain why on the Blood Angels codex side of things, we're seeing such modest changes. We'd need a lot less of a boost if we could consolidate into combat. Perhaps that explains part of why the Tyranid codex was seen as so underwhelming - they were written to receive that bonus...

• • •

Anyway, I was talking to one of my FLGS employees about the rumors and he dropped this gem: "I was talking to our GW distributor, [who has the new books] and 90% of the rumors are wrong." So, something to keep in mind...
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Consolidating from combat to combat just makes HTH way too powerful. Get in amongst the enemy gunline, and that's basically their game done, which is far from fun for either player. It essentially becomes 'can I knacker enough of your troops before you make combat'.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

Consolidating from combat to combat just makes HTH way too powerful. Get in amongst the enemy gunline, and that's basically their game done, which is far from fun for either player. It essentially becomes 'can I knacker enough of your troops before you make combat'.
    Assaulting from combat to combat could make assault viable again. Also with overwatch that's going to help.

I'm all for this. I hope you can assault from a stationary rhino again soon too.

Librarian

Not really consolidate be shot at with overwatch loose some models, maybe loose one model in combat then charge into another unit which will overwatch, i assume the consolidation will not count as a charge, or will be disorganised. We may even see a flee option.

Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast