BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Librarian

the future will be terrible and our lifetimes will the last before the decadent fall of humanity. I play 40k because it IS the future!

Chaplain

I've always loved model building and wargaming so they come together in WH40K.

I've been a big historical board wargamer since being a kid and also build 1/35 scale armor. WH40K is a great diversion form the historical gaming. WH40K takes me back to the love of science fiction of my youth. I really like the fluff behind it all. One can immerse into WH40K with the model building, the gaming and reading the books.

The game is very good too. I like planning the army list and building the army to meet the enemy army. I see "arms races" in our group and that is cool.

I fully enjoy playing the game and it looks great while playing.

Iron Father

Painting and my Gym time, ground me in a way not much else can. I find it relaxes me and its something I do to get my own space. Don't get me wrong, my life's pretty great but sometimes we all just need some space to do something on our own. Painting models is a big part of that and i even paint in my office at work on my break when I can. Another great thing about this hobby of ours is some of the great people I get to meet and talk too. On here and in the "real world". Sure there is a little negativity about the hobby but I am happy to debate with people as long as they remain open minded and any discussion is a good discussion as long as it remains polite. I have stuck a few on my ignore list for sure, but thats only for my own sake.

Then theres the product of everything that surrounds the hobby. Playing the game. I don't play often but I do really enjoy it when I do. I usually hold the games at my house and I am fortunate to have lots of space, tables, beers and an understanding wife. So once a fortnight its all round mine for a chat, have a laugh, roll some dice and drink some beer with my gaming friends.

I think because I enjoy everything about the hobby so much i do struggle to understand the negativity, but I also like to think for the most part I am laid back enough not to really care either.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chaplain

I love the fluff, building and painting.
    I really love to play, ya know hang out with friends, drink some beers, talk about fluff/ rules/ future and past of40k.
    I love having my models on display. In my living room one whole wall is dedicated to 3 display cases overfilled with 40k models. Any body who walks into my house is instantly captivated by my display and get caught up into hours long conversation about them and 40k fluff.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Chaplain

I'm not a great painter but that is the main thing I enjoy. It gives me a sense of accomplishment that my work life(software tester/analyst) just can't match.

Veteran-Sergeant

The thing I really love about 40k is working with my hands again.

I spent 4 years at art college learning a craft ended up as mac monkey. The digital revolution hasn't been kind to people with the skill set I have, much of the innovation seems to have been based around designing out the need to employ flaky artistic types for their fine motor skill.

Things had really hit the skids, the relationship I was in was dying, I was freelancing (basically a digital peon always on call working from home) and drinking heavily, then I bought Dawn of War 2 on a Steam sale and it set me on a path that has changed my life for the better.

In the last 18 months I found that I can still paint, and though I'm nowhere near as good as I was when I was a kid it's coming back, I'm scratch building terrain, I'm sculpting with green stuff. I now have a heavily converted IG army with a load of expensive Forgeworld bits (one of the few perks of no longer having woman to answer to) and just love looking at it - the best part is it is all just for fun. After years of having all the enjoyment sucked out the act of creation I feel it again.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Black Library, as in I was expecting The Expendables and got District 9 (loved the Night Lords trilogy) and used the fluff in creating the look for my army. Learning the rules and designing lists has improved my mental arithmetic (not one of my strong suits). Half the stuff I watch now is 40k related, really enjoying StrikingScorpion82's batreps and painting guides and miniwargaming (I understand there is some snobbishness about them) taught me how to play the game.

Earlier this month I finally popped my cherry, the FLGS I use invited me and a few others to an evening and I finally got to play with my toys, and it was great.

This hobby has been a massive help during a very trying time, and it brought me back to something I had always done and always enjoyed, making models.

Rock.
    Last edited by completeHook; 12-27-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

Building, painting & playing... it's the total community that is really the attraction for me.

Chapter-Master

I enjoy the wargaming aspect the most. I also happen to love Grey Knights (I tend to play paladin types in games), and 40k is the most readily accessable source of games. Warmachine is fun, too, though I haven't played it enough to really get the hang of it.

I also like modeling stuff. I don't paint for the sake of painting, but since I'm going to be using the models for games I might as well make them look nice. And I'm a pretty good painter when I put the effort in. Just got an airbrush, too, for all my eldar skimmers (only a few of them are wave serpents).
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I've always considered myself a painter first, player second.

There are a lot of things I enjoy about the hobby, but I think a game with my friends is the best part. Win, lose or draw.

I also like building beardy lists and still getting thumped at tournaments too.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

The minis and the fluff. GW still produces some of the best minis out there. I love the new sternguard SMs for example. Only down fall is the current ruleset. 6th Ed sucks, and over the last few months far too many additional rules and rulesets. Too cumbersome......... Living in hoping for a simpler ruleset............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12