BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Sniper Scouts: Any good?

Hi All,

I love the Sniper Scout models, but was wondering how they usually fare on the tabletop?

Librarian

Better than regular scouts depending on how you like to play'em.

Just sit on an objective and snipe away. Pin anything that gets too close to an ojective. Add in Telion and you can take out unit upgrades like Power weapons, making assault more viable or melta and plasme to make vehicles and power armour feel safer. Give 'em a Homer just in case they need help or if you decide to use 'em as bait.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by person person View Post

Just sit on an objective and snipe away. Pin anything that gets too close to an ojective. Add in Telion and you can take out unit upgrades like Power weapons, making assault more viable or melta and plasme to make vehicles and power armour feel safer. Give 'em a Homer just in case they need help or if you decide to use 'em as bait.
    Hrm, I run a CF army and it sounds like I am going to have to use those two words I swore I would never utter "counts-as".

Telion is a sweet model and character, and I tried to avoid his awesomeness, but since I will be running a Scout heavy list, I guess he needs to be in there.

Thanks.

DT.

Brother-Captain

Sniper scouts with camo cloaks are great for holding objectives and providing some decent fire support. With a Conversion Beamer MotF and Telion they get really nasty really quick.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by person person View Post

Don't forget your techmarine to bolster the defences for +1 cover save

Abbess Sanctorum

Usually the ones I face off against get set on fire and die.

Mind you, this happens to most things I face off against. YMMV.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

In terms of killing against most normal troops your better off just bringing bolters on tactical squads. The only time they really have an advantage is against monsters or heavy armor units like terminators so they're only truly useful against chaos marines, demons, space marines, and tyranids which still make up around 50% of the armies you see but still... Pinning? Usually never happens due to the high leadership on the types of units it'll usually be firing at, and 3+ cover save is still just a 3+ save so they aren't overly survivable against shooting and they aren't exactly wonderful in assault either.

Veteran-Sergeant

You have to be a bit careful with them, because all scouts are fragile and if a big assault unit reaches them, then they'll die. So leave them right at the back.

Occuli Imperator

I like scouts that sit back with Sniper Rifle and ML. The thing I like about them is they are nice for "finishing off" another unit. Sometimes using a whole tactical squad to wipe out a few kroot is overkill, scouts fit that nicely.

With the ML they can pop a random rhino here and there too.

I have also sseen some success using them as a speedbump unit for a hammer unit.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Battle-Brother

Scouts die Easy

The ways to get scouts working I find are suicide squad with a power fist (and preferably a speeder transport)
    Second a small sniper squad that will go pretty much ignored.

I use them a dirt cheap out flanking late game option.

So yeah they can work, just don't expect your snipers to hit anything(5 shots, 2.5 hits, 1.25 wounds) and remember they have outflank, krak grenades and pistols.
    http://miscmarine.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast